Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/12/2003 3:43:58 PM EDT
I shoot IPSC and I am thinking of color coordinating my guns. The pistol is silver with a grey C-more. I want to get the furniture of my AR, 1100, and tecloader painted grey to match the C-more. The C-more on the shotgun will be grey also. I want to get a silver finish on the entire shotgun and the upper and lower of my AR-15(Not the entire assembly just the receiver). Who can make my upper and lower silver? I would also like to see pictures of the finishes available. Here is a purple AR for comparison. I would like the same thing but silver.

http://www.arredondoaccessories.com/images/AR-MGW.jpg
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Here is a purple AR for comparison. I would like the same thing but silver.

[url]www.arredondoaccessories.com/images/AR-MGW.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Board code
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 5:46:54 AM EDT
[#2]
115 views anyone know?
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 5:48:01 AM EDT
[#3]
contact brasspile.  he can do it in Lauer.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:05:44 AM EDT
[#4]
that looks like standard anodizing not a paint type finish.  look in the yellow pages for anodizing.  the only problem would be is that it is not "hard coat" anodize.  it is still harder than bare alloy, but is not as durable.  if it is a pre-ban receiver i wouldn't do it, but post ban go for it.  another place to look would be custom harley parts dealers(may be able to point you to a anodizer).  good luck, and keep us posted.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:04:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
that looks like standard anodizing not a paint type finish.  look in the yellow pages for anodizing.  the only problem would be is that it is not "hard coat" anodize.  it is still harder than bare alloy, but is not as durable.  if it is a pre-ban receiver i wouldn't do it, but post ban go for it.  another place to look would be custom harley parts dealers(may be able to point you to a anodizer).  good luck, and keep us posted.
View Quote

advntrjnky is right on all counts; also, if you do go for anodizing, they will charge you to "strip" the old/current anodized finish off the receiver before they re-color it.

And if you want it shiny, you might have to polish the surface lightly after it is stripped (conversely, if you want a matte finish, they can grit-blast it prior to re-anodize).

Good luck...
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:27:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Who does these kind of finishes? Are they strong? I wont be carrying the gun through the jungle or anything like that but I want something that will stay on and look good.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#7]
it is very durable, just not "military durable".  it is the same finish as on aluminum parts for Hot Rods, Motorcycles, engine parts, etc.  it would prob be perfect for IPSC, unless your courses crawl trough mud pits, over logs, and take place in sand storms.  it will probably last for years, especially if you clear coat over it.  when i was looking into it for some non-gun parts i was quoted about $5 per part(for about 100 pcs).  i would prob expect to pay about $20 per piece for small runs.  now this is from non- gun manufacturer anodizer.  expect to pay 3-4 times that from gun refinishers(they have a smaller customer base).   good luck!  let us know what you come up with.    
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:34:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Ill definately do that. Will the anodizing chip off on the shell deflector? Can you point me to a website online? If not Ill look around locally.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#9]
nope it won't chip off.  anodizing actually becomes "part of the metal".  it is a crystaline structure that grows on the metal and is part of it.  the color is actually captured inside of the crystaline structure.  it will wear, though.  electrical tape should take care of case deflecter wear.  if you clear coat over the anodize that might chip in the defecter area.  sorry i can't point you to anything on the web.  this is something that i would do locally so i can talk face to face with the company, so they know what i expect(and if they can deliver).  if you are sending it off i would go with a reputable firearm refinisher that anodizes(they know what you want).
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top