Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2003 2:17:54 PM EDT
Finally got a chance to take the new one to the range. It had been at KKF getting a tac brake.

This is a Colt carbine upper with a TA31F ACOG. The lower is a Stinger Arms with NM trigger and ambi safety. Stock is a CAR collapsable - pinned, of course.

The range is 100 yd. one, I wanted to zero at that range. I should be good to go from close in to 200 yds without having to think about it much.

The rifle ran great from round one. I fired about 60 rounds, running a wet patch up the barrel followed by a dry patch down it about every 3-5 rounds.

I had no misfires, no failures to extract, no failures to feed, no jams of any kind.

I was using cheap surplus ammo, Federal xm193, 55 grain boat tail bullets.

The ACOG needed about 25 clicks up and 15 left to achieve zero. Once I was on the paper my best three round group measured 7/8 inch and my next two were 1 1/4" and 1 1/2 inch.

Because the gun will be used for tactical competition I zeroed with the chevron at the bottom of the ball and held center mass for the next group. The strike of the bullet moved the appropriate distance, about 2 1/4". For tactical I'll probably drop the ACOG 6 clicks, about 2". That should put me on target with a center mass hold.

It was a bright day and the benches were covered so the ACOG blacked out, but that was no problem as the targets were in bright sunlight. As long as I held under the ball. For center mass hold I lined up under the ball then move up a bit, not a problem

The KKF did its job, there was no muzzle flip that I could see. The CAR stock transmitted a little more recoil but not bad.

I didn't notice muzzle flash but the range officer who admitted they didn't get many AR's there commented on the amount of flash. I was wearing full ear protectors and noticed the gun was loud. How did I fire those thousands of rounds in RVN without any hearing protection at all? The guy next to me was firing a Remington in 7mm and that was louder than the AR.

I definately need to get rid of the front sight post, the ghost image was distracting at times. I'll probably saw it off and clamp on a flip front site although I don't really have room in the back for a flip up.

So there it is. You can't go wrong with Colt and Trijicon and the Stinger Arms Lower worked fine, thanks, Carrico.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 3:04:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Awsome! I see you like to clean your bore A LOT, huh? It isn't nessesary to clean it after 5 rounds, trust me! [:D]
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Awsome! I see you like to clean your bore A LOT, huh? It isn't nessesary to clean it after 5 rounds, trust me! [:D]
View Quote

Sounds like he was breaking in his barrel.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 3:35:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

On a new barrel I try to run a patch through every few rounds.

Just in case anything comes out of the rifling.

Actually, I'm more the opposite. I think you can put more wear on a gun by over cleaning.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats!  Cool setup--------enjoy!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top