Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/11/2003 6:12:19 AM EDT
Anyone shoot this upper with a heavy buffer? Does it tame it down at all? My .50 upper has a sharp muzzel rise, and I'm wondering if a H buffer will smooth it out?
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I own a Beowulf and after several weeks of "Buttstock bruise" I got a vertical foregrip and a "Limbsaver" recoil pad and have ben VERY pleased. I hardly notice the recoil now and I have taken a lot of the muzzle flip out using the vertical foregrip.
Let me know if you have any questions :)

RGUARD.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I've only shot one of the pre-production Beowulfs, and I imagine that it could do with some taming. Kicks like a 20 gauge.

~AbM
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Mine kicks like a mule on a CAR lower [BD] Pretty stout even with an A2 stock. A butt stock weight tames it pretty well for range work.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#4]
For a non-reloader is this much of an option?  Can you get factory loads for it?  It sounds like an awesome gun.

Thanks
Doc
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 2:20:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh, it's awesome alright, and LOUD! When I shoot on the range, everyone stops, shooting. Many people told me they thought I was shooting a .223 AR, and they thought I must have had a KB or something.  It's a sweet shooter, I've got it sighted at 150yrs,and it's holding an 1.5-2.0 group. not too shabby, for shooting a baby torpedo.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 10:27:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I was going to do a pistol caliber AR until I saw how many problems are encountered with it. I decided to do some research on the Beowulf. I talked to my local dealer today and he said to stay clear of "exotic ammo". Is the ammo being exotic a valid point for staying away from the Beowulf? He also says the AR receiver could be too weak for extended use of the upper. Is this valid advice? I still like the idea of the big round and the power of this thing, but don't want to get stuck with a receiver that is useless if anything ever happens to the manufacturer of the ammo.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was going to do a pistol caliber AR until I saw how many problems are encountered with it. I decided to do some research on the Beowulf. I talked to my local dealer today and he said to stay clear of "exotic ammo". Is the ammo being exotic a valid point for staying away from the Beowulf? He also says the AR receiver could be too weak for extended use of the upper. Is this valid advice? I still like the idea of the big round and the power of this thing, but don't want to get stuck with a receiver that is useless if anything ever happens to the manufacturer of the ammo.
View Quote

Your "dealer" is a pudknocker. Don't let him dampen your fun with the AR.
Besides all the different .223 uppers, I have a 9mm, dedicated rimfire, 7.62X39mm and the .50 Beowulf.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 10:02:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I also did a LOT of research before getting beowulf, Alexander Arms is making these for the US Military and they are already being sent out in the field, reaction so far is good and so even in limited production this will probably be a military issue weapon soon and that will almost guarentee a supply of parts and ammo into the forseeable future.
The "Exotic ammo" is not really valid either as it uses the same bullets as the Desert Eagle AE round and the brass is esentially uncut AE brass with a rebated rim, so if you had to you could concieviebly make your own rounds even if AA went away completely. Finally and most importantaly, this gun is FUN, (I can't go to the range without at least one friend in tow anymore ;) don't let anyone talk you out of this if you want it. This gun has a better "short game" than anything I have ever seen, I have mine setup with a reflex sight, and under 100M I can hit pretty much anything. With a recoil pad you will hardly notice it after a full day of shooting and even now the ammo can be had for ~$1 a round (No worse than match grade 30-06) and a whole lot more fun :)

My $.02
RGUARD
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Another option might be the 458 SOCOM upper.  Would anyone that actually has experience please breifly compare the two calibers as used on an AR15 lower?
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Yes they use the same bullet ad .50 AE or .500 S&W , and the brass is made by Starline, if anything happens to AA , Starline will continue to make the brass (currently they only make it for AA). The pressure is low in these cartridges and I see no issues with my brass even after 5 reloadings so far.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I shot a .50 AE at gunstock. Tolerable recoil.

I shot a .475 Tremor there too. 6 shots hurt so bad I switched to my left shoulder. One round like that, and I had a bruise. IMHO, the .475 Tremor is more painful to shoot than a .375 Holland and Holland.

I have been thinking about a .50 upper on a Cav lower for a while now.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I have put over 3000rds in my upper on a OLY lower & never had a problem.They kick the HELL out of you,but what a Blast TO SHOOT.They are very easy to reload for.You can only get brass from a Dealer for Alexander Arms(I AM A DEALER FOR THEM)You can buy the bullets from RANIER Bullets.Thats what they load in there Factory Ammo.I use LIL GUN powder & it works great.I have killed several Whitetail Deer here in KY.& TN.with mine.IT STOPS THEM IN THERE TRACKS.If you are interested in any info on the Beowulf E-mail me at [email protected]
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 5:26:56 AM EDT
[#15]
The chamber pressure might be lower, but the bolt thrust is almost double that of the .223.  The beowulf does have very good accuracy as does the Socom and the LW.  Alexander Arms do not make for the US military.  The only units fielded were those of the civilian "away teams" from Blackwater who were doing some training.  They have stopped using them because of the recoil.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:46:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The chamber pressure might be lower, but the bolt thrust is almost double that of the .223.  The beowulf does have very good accuracy as does the Socom and the LW.  Alexander Arms do not make for the US military.  The only units fielded were those of the civilian "away teams" from Blackwater who were doing some training.  They have stopped using them because of the recoil.
View Quote

I don't believe that is entirely accurate, as quoted from http://www.gunblast.com/Alex_Overwatch.htm “... I have received correspondence from as far away as Afghanistan and Iraq from US soldiers that are using this weapon for serious social purposes….”
Also, Gun world magazine Oct 2001 said that Alexander arms was contracted by the US military to make Beowulf for them. I believe this is why they are located at the Radford arsenal. They are a private company but they came across the pond due to the restrictive gun laws over there.
I don’t remember where I read it, but I remember that the reason the US military wanted Beowulf was due to restrictions is some foreign theaters where troops are only allowed to carry AR style weapons while among the population and their need for a weapon with armor penetration in those areas.

I could be wrong on all of this but I think the military is using Beowulf as a “semi-heavy” man portable solution until the next gen. OICW type weapons are available. Beowulf solves many of the problems using today’s technology and with a minimum of modification to already existing hardware (sounds like what the military would ask for to me). And as for recoil, I have added a $35 “Limbsaver” recoil pad and felt recoil is now less than any of my hunting rifles.

My $.02
RGUARD
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 8:02:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Wow!  A few stories mixed up there - but we've all been here before.  suffice to say that the wires are crossed a little.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top