Vulcan
Armalite
Cavalry Arms
DPMS
Les Baer
Oberland Arms
Rock River Arms
Wilson Combat

So, who the hell makes the better black rifle for the price i'm willing to pay? I'd like to keep the initial cost between $750 -$900.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of configuration do you want? Fullsize 20", M4 carbine, varmint rig?

Personally I prefer Colt and Rock River. RRAs and Bushys are well within your price range. Most people here have had better luck with Bushy than I have so I'll keep my editorial on Bushmaster QA to myself (this time [:)]).

If you'd like an M4 the Colt 6400c M4 carbine can be had for around $900 if you shop around.

It has an M4 marked upper and lower:
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/M4_Lower_small.JPG[/img]

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/Upper.JPG[/img]

Heavy duty "H" buffer and heavy duty extractor spring for reliability:
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/Buffer.JPG[/img]

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/Extractor.JPG[/img]

Barrel has proper 1/7ROT, chamber and barrel are chrome lined:
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/Cmp.jpg[/img]

Upper is RAS numbered:
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/Ras.jpg[/img]

Side sling mount:
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/Sling.JPG[/img]

The 6400c has a standard pushpin lower, no protruding sear block, proper M4 handguards with dual heatshields, extended feedramps, and has a [b]lifetime service agreement.[/b]

There are [b]plenty[/b] of rifles available in your price range, and lots of merchants here who can hook you up with a great deal. To get an idea of what you want you can always check the manufacturers sites too:

[url]www.rockriverarms.com[/url]
[url]www.colt.com[/url]
[url]www.bushmaster.com[/url]

Good luck on your quest for the perfect black rifle [:)]

Edit: You could also build a complete rifle for less than $600. There is a complete lower assembly guide [url=http://www.ar15.com/content/docs/assembly/lower/]here[/url]
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Cjan - You gave a very good answer to my question. Thank you very much. I'll hit the websites you mentioned.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Decide what parts you want and build your own.  It is the only way to get what you want.  My home built AR can put up sub MOA groups with a 14.5" 1/7 twist chrome lined barrel.  Its also 100% reliable.

The best value would be:

Bushmaster Barrel (under $170)
Colt Bolt/Carrier ($99 complete)
RAS numbered flat top upper reciever in the EE
CavArms Furniture
Accuracy Speaks trigger
ARMS rear sight and optic mounts (for when you get a scope)

Cheapest small parts you can find from the big 3.

You will get an excellent rifle thats 100% reliable and the satisfaction of building it yourself.  The only decision is who's markings do you wnat on your lower.

Any monkey can assemble a 100% reliable sub MOA AR with quality parts and the right tools.  Its so easy you will wonder how the manufactureers could ever have QC problems.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Bushmaster
Colt
Armalite
Rock River Arms
View Quote

narrowed it down for you [:)]
i'm partial to Bushmaster btw...
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#5]
You forgot HESSE.  oh wait they make shit...not ars...my bad.

BUSHMASTER
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I only have bushmasters 2 pre and 1 postban.I built a Rock River lower for a friend last night and I have to say I was impressed.He put his bushy upper on and it was a solid fit.Every thing went together fine.Quality was excellent and it was a US PROPERTY marked lower from pete in New Hampshire.My next AR will be a Rock River upper and lower with a bushy barrel and stock and RRA lower parts wich by the way were also very good quality.I am very impressed with Rock River.I dont like ARs from colt but all my 1911s are colt and I consider them to be up there with the best assembly line 1911s,Custom ones on the other hand are a different story.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 10:25:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I vote Bushmaster or Olympic.. I own ARs from both mfg. Both are a good value for the money, and good customer svc. from both companies.. At least for me anyway...I also own a Kimber Pro Carry HDII all stainless, THE BEST 1911 I have ever owned...
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 10:52:21 PM EDT
[#8]
BUSHMASTER - Best AR's avaliable!
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 10:54:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Did anyone Mention Bushmaster. Its an Opinion thing lots of people are going to give you different opinions but I always say Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
American Spirit Arms -[red]I heard alot of bad thing about them[/red]
Bushmaster- [red] 1st tier [/red]
Colt- [red] 1st tier [/red]
Diemaco
FN- [red]do they sell to civilians?[/red]
Knights
M2
Olympic Arms- [red]great products at a great price[/red]
SOCOM
Vulcan[red]=Hesse.. they used to be Hesse.. and as mentioned, they make sh**..[/red]
Armalite- [red]1st tier[/red]
Cavalry Arms- [red]great products at a great price.. They'll stand behind their stuff 100%.[/red]
DPMS- [red]great products at a great price[/red]
Les Baer
Oberland Arms
Rock River Arms- [red] arguably 1st tier.. I'd put one right beside my bushies, but other people wouldn't [/red]
Wilson Combat

So, who the hell makes the better black rifle for the price i'm willing to pay? I'd like to keep the initial cost between $750 -$900.

Thanks!
View Quote

at the price you're giving you could get a bushy (which is what i did, for the same $)..  or you could easily get a RRA and save some money (which is what i'd do if i could do it again)...  
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 3:36:43 AM EDT
[#11]
trust me !!!!!!

no one makes an AR-15 any more, Colt once did, but now, no one makes them.......!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 3:44:51 AM EDT
[#12]
I can only speak for the ones I've played with and owned. Colt, Bushmaster, & DPMS.  Love the Colt, bushy..Now the DPMS - what a POS.  Very sloppy.  Just kidding on the POS thing.  I just wouldn't buy another one.  I wasn't impressed at all.

The next one I try will be a RRA from Pete in New Hampshire (Christmas Present to myself :))))
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:21:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I can only speak from my personal experience...BUSHMASTER ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:50:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Buy your AR from one manufacturer , here's the best ones out there (non custom):

1. Colt
2. Bushmaster
3. DPMS
4. Armalite
5. RockRiver
6. Olympic

Good Luck
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:55:46 AM EDT
[#15]
BUSHMASTER
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 5:56:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Vic, take a gander at this website. Lots of useful AR info.

[url]http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/_homepage.msnw?pgmarket=en-us[/url]

Welcome to the club bro! You will be able to get a quality rifle for what you want to spend.

I have 2 Bushmasters and have had 0 problems with either of them.

Shabo
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 6:04:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Excellent, guys. More info that I expected. I feel a little more prepared now when I go to the fun store.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#18]
BUSHMASTER  
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#19]
I've only owned Bushmaster, so I can't give an opinion on other makers.

I've had a great experience with my BM's.  The only knock I have on BM is that the standard triggers are very heavy.  I replace mine with a JP trigger group and it's ready to rock.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#20]
ArmaLite - That's what I got, and I've never regreted it.  High quality, nice finish, upper & lower mate with no slop... shoots good too!  Rather expensive however.

Bushmaster - Most love 'em... some have recurring nightmares though.  The scuttlebutt is that they make so many guns so fast that they don't take the time to look them over as closely as they should and lemons sometimes get out the door.

Rock River - Up & coming.  I've heard few complaints and numerous rave reviews.

Colt - From what I've heard and read, the older ones were top drawer, but quality has been suspect lately.

Les Baer - Very good but very expensive.  Was your first car a Lexus?  I didn't think so.  It's something you work your way up to.  Same here.

As for the rest of the pack, some people have had wonderful results with them and others have had unending problems.  It's a crapshoot.  Do you feel lucky?  If not, I'd recommend you pick among ArmaLite, Bushmaster and Rock River.  They seem to get the most compliments on this board.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 6:51:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Bushmaster, Colt, Armalite, Can't go wrong with any of the above.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:08:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Can't go wrong with DPMS.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:38:12 AM EDT
[#23]
[size=5][b][url]www.bushmaster.com[/url][/b][/size=5]
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#24]
another vote for DPMS....reliable and very accurate.................
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top