Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/10/2003 1:43:28 PM EDT
Hi all. I've read all I can read and need some advice.

I have my heart set on an AR and also set on a Bushy. Mainly because our local shop carries them so I'll have some help and support there and I think they are one of the better ones after doing much reading here. Maybe not the best in some opinions but quite good none the less.

So here's the delima. And of course in time there will be no delima because I do plan to have more than one or at least another upper. I want a good all around shooter and bug out gun if ever needed so I do want a 16" chrome lined and I'll want a dedicated varminter. I am a fan of "bells and whistles" so I want to either buy it tricked out or do it soon. Do I get a 16" first with iron sights and learn the AR and how to shoot it then move to the varminter or get the varminter first since it has the better trigger then get a 16" upper later?

Also, right now I can get the modular BM for just $200.00 more than I can get the varminter for. Both prices are a little high compared to what I have read you guys are paying but I do want to support my friend at the local level so I don't mind paying a little more.

If I get the modular first, where can I get a good price on a carry handle. Local dosen't stock much in the way of acessories.

I know there are many questions and I actually have more but if I make this decision soon I could have it well before the weekend, although I may have to wait until Christmas before any formal play. You know wives!
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome. Since you decided on a Bushmaster, you already chose a great weapon. It's always better to get an AR with iron sights and learn how to use them before you add any accessories. This is probably the most important lesson next to safety. Bells and whistles are cool, but be aware that they can and will fail, so you need a basic foundation with iron sights to fall back on when necessary. The modular rifle is a sweet weapon, albeit a little pricey. The Bushy A3 16" model with a removable carry is another weapon to consider. I recommend the 16" over the Varminter for a first AR. It's lighter and easier to handle, also making it a better choice for a defense/bug-out weapon. Actually I prefer a standard iron sighted 20" A2/A3 setup for this role, but I see you are set on a 16". Carry handles are available [url=http://bushmaster.com/shopping/uppers/9349063-9.asp]HERE[/url] for $99. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate your reply. By "bells and whistles" I mean basic ones such as flip down sights, aluminum forearm w/rails, ect. Not all the attachments. I will have a scope eventually and a mountable Surefire light but thats probably it.

I'm not set on a 16" just thought it would be nice to have a shorty for versatility and a long varminter.

So the modular is considered a nice AR? Being that i'm 6'5" I'm sure I will need an extension butt plate too.

I need you all to make up my mind for me! :)
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#4]
My $0.02 is to get plain-jane Bushmaster (non HBAR). Spend your spare time practicing basic marksmanship and spend your bells-and-whistles money on good USGI magazines and Winchester Q3131a.

Oh yeah, and a little more reading:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/content/books/[/url]
[;)]
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#5]
For your first or only AR the 20inch a2 will serve you best $699.99 at AIM .you will have lots of cash left over for ammo,USGI mags and a scope for those varmints.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#6]
AIM?

Quoted:
For your first or only AR the 20inch a2 will serve you best $699.99 at AIM .you will have lots of cash left over for ammo,USGI mags and a scope for those varmints.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the extra reading info. I'll look into it soon. I have seriously considered getting a plain-jane then dressing it as needed but then would have a bunch of extra parts that I wouldn't want or need plus extra expense. I'm one of those guys that isn't satisfied until I have something decked out the way I want it and always spend more than if I would just shell it out up front. I guess that's why I'm leaning toward the modular. Plus winter is coming fast here in Ohio and I will have time to aquire mags, ammo, scope, ect. by spring.

I was hoping to find somewhere to buy acessories at discounted prices rather than direct through BM.

I don't want to build unless I buy all parts new from dealer because I don't know enough about them yet to not get "stung".

I have read about waiting until the possible lift of the ban but would rather get one now and be ready to enjoy it come spring. Also, you just never know. Many things could happen by then. I feel I'm already far overdue being prepared. Just want the extra peace of mind.

Was just looking through an old Shooting Times magazine and re-read about the Les Baur. Very nice! Very expensive!!
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top