Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2003 10:00:30 AM EDT
So tell me guys, why should a buy from bushmaster, given that there's a significant diference on their prices (45 bucks) on, say an Upper reciever assy?
Is this higher price worth it? so far, AR wise, all i got i a colt and know little or nothing about bushmaster OR RRA.
I'm planing on building an M4, that's why i'm asking this.  Help would be apreciated.

Bottom line, is bushmaster better made in any way (talking about upper assemblies, not barrels) than RRA?
thanks again.

HUNTER.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 10:20:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I could not tell you which is better.  I can tell you that the RRA that I own is a qaulity piece of equipment.  The fit, finish, and accuracy of the weapon is out standing.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Bushmaster uses chrome lined barrels, is that important to you. RRA fit and finish is better, bushmaster is ready to accept registered full auto conversions, Rock River is not. Bushmaster does not discount crap to individual FFLs. Rock River Arms does.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 10:45:06 AM EDT
[#3]
RRA does have one model with a 16" chrome lined barrel and fake flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Bottom line, is bushmaster better made in any way (talking about upper assemblies, not barrels) than RRA?
thanks again.

HUNTER.
View Quote

I know bushy has chromelined barrels, read between () i'm talking about receivers and how they're made. Oh yeah, just for the record chrome linning IS VERY IMPORTANT to me.
Also, would a bushmaster barrel fit on a RRA upper? are threads compatible?
thanks again.

HUNTER
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#5]
If $45 is a lot of money to you, buy the cheaper stuff. If it's not, buy the bushmaster. I can't see spending time to put a Bushmaster bbl on an RRA upper to save $20, I have better things to do with my time.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If $45 is a lot of money to you
View Quote

I never said it was a lot of money, all i said is that it was a significant diference on the price given that upper assemblies run in the 100s bucks.

...buy the cheaper stuff. If it's not, buy the bushmaster
View Quote

Yes, but WHY should i buy the Bushmaster???? is it better in ANY way? i gotta remark you and your attitude that's what i'm trying to find out here

. I can't see spending time to put a Bushmaster bbl on an RRA upper
View Quote

I can, otherwise, i wouldn't have asked.

, I have better things to do with my time.
View Quote

I'm glad for you, but none of your answers helped much, did they?

HUNTER.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Bushies are closer to mil-spec, and I've experienced nothing short of excellent customer service from them.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 1:44:44 PM EDT
[#8]
i'm going to have to go with bushy as well, my friend has a RRA which is VERY nice, but theres just something about the bushmaster i have that i like better. maybe cause its MINE? who knows. either way youre in good shape.

Dagger
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Hunter - I'll take a stab at this: more than likely the RRA & Bushmaster uppers are forged by the same company (probably CMT) but the Bushmaster is said to perform numerous QA checks that the other manufactures do not.  This may be why they cost more.

Vicap - Please elaborate on the specifications you are referring to.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 1:55:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Bushmaster barrels use 4150 steel ( stronger ). RRA use 4140 stee; ( slightly weaker ) and do not chrome line most of their barrels.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 2:04:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I've owned upper from both and the only difference I could tell between them was the RRA upper had M4 feedramps and the Bushy did not.I preferred the RRA only because it had the fake brake and the BM had that damn AK brake.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bushmaster barrels use 4150 steel ( stronger ). RRA use 4140 stee; ( slightly weaker ) and do not chrome line most of their barrels.
View Quote

Hunter was asking about upper receivers, not complete uppers/barrels.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Also if I am not mistaken, didnt BM used to sell their barrels with 4140, not 4150?

I'd bet the difference is nil and your paying the extra for the name like Colt. I chose RRA over BM when I purchased mine.

Link Posted: 11/8/2003 3:42:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Since you asked about [s]upper assemblies[/s] upper receiver assemblies. I would get the RRA "unless" you plan on using an ARMS throw lever mount of some sort. Then I would get the Bushmaster. In my experience "(2) RRA upper receiver assemblies" the RRA runs on the small side in "width" or whatever of the mounting rail.

Oh, and before getting pissed off about replies to your thread, please use proper terminology. People are only trying to help.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#15]
There is no discernible difference in quality.  Both are high quality receivers.  If you can save money, buy the RRA.  A Bushy barrel will fit an RRA upper just fine as will the RRA bolt group function just fine.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#16]
To answer the initial question,

No, there is no difference between Bushmaster & RRA upper receivers. That's because they are currently being manufactured by the same vendor, Continental Machine & Tool (CMT) of New Britan, Ct. They make the upper receivers for both RRA & Bushmaster.

There were/are a bunch of posts on the board about them (CMT)
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
To answer the initial question,

No, [red]there is no difference between Bushmaster & RRA upper receivers[/red]. That's because they are currently being manufactured by the same vendor, Continental Machine & Tool (CMT) of New Britan, Ct. They make the upper receivers for both RRA & Bushmaster.

There were/are a bunch of posts on the board about them (CMT)
View Quote

That's a prety strong statement. You gotta link? I think I think I remember the thread "I toured CMT and this is what I saw". Eventually deleting his posts.  Don't forget, even if they were all made at CMT,  that doesn't mean they are made as equal. Different prints/specs required/supplied by RRA or Bushmaster, the finish is definitely different. IIRC, Bushmaster only sub'd out upper receiver work when in times of very high demand, and even then, the work must meet their specific criteria/specs. In my experience there is a difference. If that difference is worth the $xx is up to the knowledgeable buyer.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I have both; bushmasters finish is mil-spec finish I do not know what RRA uses! both receivers fit are excellant, but for wear and tear I think bushmaster gets my vote. I really like the 4150 chrome barrels.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Having owned both in my experience the Bushmaster can't hold a candle to the Rock River. The "Bushy is closer to milspec" argument is always good for a laugh. I'm wondering how the improperly sealcoated finish, 1/9ROT barrel, plastic trigger guard, and notorious QC issues fit into the "milspec".

On paper the Bushmaster looks like a better rifle, but specs are meaningless without proper quality control. A Rock River is far less likely to be shipped with a canted front sight, an overtorqued barrel, or a recoil buffer that impacts with the detent pin.

Rock River Arms at least makes an attempt at getting it right before one of their rifles ships.

If actually shooting your rifle sounds more appealing to you than posting in the troubleshooting forum then I'd strongly suggest you skip the Bushmaster and buy the RRA.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#20]
if you want to buy a complete factory rifle and you want chrome lining your choice is made already. If you want a parts gun that some hack put together then I guess you can bits and pieces a gun together and get no factory service for this rifle, if needed.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#21]
If you get complete uppers/lowers, or rifles, Rock River gives a lifetime warranty.  Although I own both and hopefully will purchase more of each.

Link Posted: 11/9/2003 2:14:08 AM EDT
[#22]
4140 versus 4150 only makes a difference if you are doing full auto fire. In a semi auto civilian gun you aren't gaining anything.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 4:11:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have both; bushmasters finish is mil-spec finish I do not know what RRA uses! both receivers fit are excellant, but for wear and tear I think bushmaster gets my vote. I really like the 4150 chrome barrels.
View Quote

Actually the Moly coat that Bushmaster uses is unique to Bushmaster and is NOT mil-spec.  However, that doesn't mean it's a bad thing but it should not be used in the "mine is [s]bigger[/s] more mil-spec than yours" argument.

Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Since you asked about [s]upper assemblies[/s] upper receiver assemblies. I would get the RRA "unless" you plan on using an ARMS throw lever mount of some sort. Then I would get the Bushmaster. In my experience "(2) RRA upper receiver assemblies" the RRA runs on the small side in "width" or whatever of the mounting rail.

Oh, and before getting pissed off about replies to your thread, please use proper terminology. People are only trying to help.
View Quote

First i want to apologize for using the wrong terms in my post, as i wasn't born in an english speaking country, i, sometimes, get mixed up...That said, if you were talking about Ryjones when you said "people is trying to help" i just couldn't see how comments like "i have better things to do with my time" could have possibly helped....

About your second post, you said
"RRA or Bushmaster, the finish is definitely different"
View Quote
...that's wrong given that the recievers both companies sell are hard coat anodized receivers....here check this link out.
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=163620[/url]....
and yes, they are both made by the same contractor...
HUNTER.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Though they have not shipped my rifle yet, I have had very good Customer Service with RRA thus far. Mostly because I call them just about every other day to ask them questions and to query about my rifle.

They always take time to tell me what's up and to answer my questions. i.e. Can I get that chrome lined? Can you change the muzzle brake to a Cav Comp? Is a flat top available on that model? How hard is it to rebarrel the receiver? Do you lap the barrel before you ship it? Do you test fire it? What CLP do you recommend? What's the difference between my ass and my elbow?

They are very patient and take the time to answer and explain everything. Then they tell me they are still waiting on the mid-length handguard 16" barrel for my rifle. Should have got the carbine handguards.

So buy one from someone who has it in stock, I guess would be my advice.

~AbM
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:59:53 PM EDT
[#26]
BM and RR are in fact made by Contential Machine in New Britian CT. They are also both colored at Light Metals Coloring in Southington CT. Look at a RR, the serial number starts with "CM" Contential Machine.

http://www.continentalmachinetool.com/

http://www.lightmetalscoloring.com/

Southington Police Rifle team  
http://pages.prodigy.net/e-3/spdrt.htm
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 9:29:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
BM and RR are in fact made by Contential Machine in New Britian CT. They are also both colored at Light Metals Coloring in Southington CT. Look at a RR, the serial number starts with "CM" Contential Machine.

http://www.continentalmachinetool.com/

http://www.lightmetalscoloring.com/

Southington Police Rifle team  
http://pages.prodigy.net/e-3/spdrt.htm
View Quote

Yup[:)]

HUNTER.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top