Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/7/2003 10:18:55 PM EDT
I have a new 20" hbar Bushmaster.  I have heard of people breaking in their barrels, shooting only 5 shots between cleanings.  In another post, I saw someone mention dumping a few hundred rounds through their new AR to break it in.  

How important is it to do the break in, cleaning every few rounds?  Will it screw the barrel up, not doing this?

Also, is it ok to dryfire an AR?
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 10:29:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Your Bushmaster is chrome lined so it doesn't need to be broken in like a non chrome lined. On the Bushmaster site they say that the chrome lined ones will be broken in by about 200 rounds, thy chrome will get a shiney appearance to it. Non chrome lined barrel break in proceedures are argued about allot, it goes anywhere from you need to shoot 1 round then clean it for 10 rounds, 2 rounds and clean it 10 times, 3 rounds then clean it 10 times, 5 rounds and then clean it 4 times, then clean it every 10 rounds until you reach 100. That would be the longest way I have heard of and other ways are in between all the way to some believe that breaking it in is a scam making you wear out your rifle faster. Almost all companies say over cleaning is much more of a problem then undercleaning. The companies that advocate a break in proceedure say that the rifle will be more accurate and be easier to clean. It won't screw up the barrel not to do it. Again the chrome lined barrels don't need to be broken in.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 10:36:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree.... If it's chrome lined, fire away.

You can dry fire as well.  Many people use snap caps anyway since there is a small chance of firing pin breakage, but I have never actually heard of an AR firing pin breaking like that.  Snap caps certainly won't hurt anything.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 3:03:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#4]
snap caps are a waste of money.  I have dry fired all of my center fire rifles including my AR 15 hundreds if not thoushands of times and I haven't had a single firing pin break.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 8:45:39 PM EDT
[#5]
got a question, what about olympic arms AR barrels, are they chrome lined or not?
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Do a google search for braking in barrels.
Typically you'll find 50% state some lengthy clean shoot clean shoot process that takes forever.

the other 50% say breaking in barrels is hogwash.

I tend to agree with the latter.

Link Posted: 11/8/2003 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#7]
BREAK IN PERIOD---- i think its a TIME of the month for you rifle....[rofl2]

man am i on a roll tonight [booze][booze][booze][booze][booze][booze][booze][booze][booze][booze]

Master    Spentshellz
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top