Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/7/2003 3:51:03 PM EDT
Hello folks.

I have a SIR for my carbine, and I know it works great for heat dissipation. I made that decision after shooting a couple hundred rounds under summer sunlight.

Now I have a 20" rifle and I'm wondering if this rifle too is sensitive to heat as carbines do. When I mean sensitive to heat, I'm saying whether it can hold itself under sustained fire without significant damage. No I don't do mag dumps often (three times using 20 round mag during last two years and I'm not doing it whatsoever again).

I'm trying to decide if I will benefit from KAC M5 RAS or not. I'm not really interested in attaching any stuff, I just want mil-spec foreend that dissipates heat very quickly. I would normally have saved up $$$ and just went ahead to buy it, but my rifle is heavier than my carbine and I wanted to see if I can get same cooling benefit at the cost of more weight. Thanks for reading.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#1]
A 20" barrel will take longer to heat up and will cool down faster than a carbine because it has both more mass and a greater surface area.

Whether that is fast enough for you, I can't say; but it should handle a back-to-back 7 magazine dump.

Link Posted: 11/8/2003 11:46:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Two options:

1. Shoot with NO HANDGUARDS, or

2. Get the Super soaker attachment modular Socom Tactical Barrel cooling System!
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
2. Get the Super soaker attachment modular Socom Tactical Barrel cooling System!
View Quote

[ROFL]

Seriously, I never fire any faster than the U.S Army recommended sustained rate of fire. However I did that under direct sunlight and my carbine went really HOT. I guess I will try that with my rifle next summer and see how it does.

My problem with standard rifle handguards is that it doesn't have holes in rear portion of it, so me being simplistic joe thought it would block the air flow.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 12:05:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes.  We have the same prob out here in AZ.  Believe me!

I just take breaks on the AR and plink .22 rimfire while the rifle cools a bit IN THE SHADE!  
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#5]
pee on your barrel if it gets too hot.
Link Posted: 11/8/2003 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Folks around here worry WAY too much about barrel heat!

NEWS FLASH:......Barrels get HOT when lead passes through them! LOL

Link Posted: 11/8/2003 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#7]
They get hotter when you ignite deflagrating mixtures in them.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top