Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2003 6:07:01 PM EDT
I have a post ban MT6601 20' bbl marked CMP5.56 NATO 1/7 HBAR  Wanted to know if this bbl is chrome lined.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#1]
No, the barrel is not chrome lined.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

Would that mean the chamber is not?

Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Also anyone know why Colt is not using chrome lined bbls on MTs?
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Also anyone know why Colt is not using chrome lined bbls on MTs?
View Quote

According to the chart [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/announcement.html?b=3&f=118&id=172]here[/url] your HBAR is chamber chromed.

The Colt MT6400c M4 carbine has a chrome lined chamber and barrel.

Does anyone know for sure that brand new 6601 HBARs don't have a chrome barrel and chamber? The reason I ask is that a few months ago when researching my MT6400c I called Colt and they specifically said that new 6601s have [b]both[/b]. I specifically asked about the 6601 and the 6400c.

I'm wondering if things may have changed since Troy's chart was created. Colt also has a lifetime service agreement, and that conflicts with the one year warranty that is indicated on the chart.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 7:26:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Is it a bad thing to have a bbl w/out chrome lining?
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 1:20:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Is it a bad thing to have a bbl w/out chrome lining?
View Quote

Not particularly. Just not quite as good as having one fully chromed. Colt started out making totally unchromed M16s, and only went to Chrome lining, first the chamber, then the whole barrel, when the conditions in the Viet Nam jungles started eating up the chambers so that the guys were getting malfunctions from rusty and pitted chamber walls. They went to lining the whole barrels when they decided that unrusted rifling was as important as unrusted chambers[:D]

Unless you're planning on fighting a jungle war in Southeast Asia anytime soon, the unplated bore shouldn't cause you any problems.  I have two M16, Viet Nam era, lookalike pieces.  One is a dup of the first Air Force M16, the other an M16A1 duplicate. The M16 version has a barrel like yours; plated chamber, unplated bore.  The A1 version has a later, fully plated barrel. They both shoot exactly the same size groups w/mil spec ammo, and I expect both of them to outlast me[:D]
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks much for the info.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:50:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Where is Troy when we need him ?  [:)]
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Still seems that the more $$ Colt bbl would be chrome lined??
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

?
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:35:09 PM EDT
[#11]
[b]LOOK[/b] at the muzzle.
If you see a ring of metal that is different color than the thick part of the barrel, that is the [b]CHROME LINING[/b]. If not then it doesn't.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:45:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
[b]LOOK[/b] at the muzzle.
If you see a ring of metal that is different color than the thick part of the barrel, that is the [b]CHROME LINING[/b]. If not then it doesn't.
View Quote

I'll check it in the am, thanks all!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top