Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/4/2003 6:41:43 PM EDT
Lets say you just got a new AR-15. What would be the mods you would do to it to make it more reliable, better at targets, functionability, and over all performance. would it be new a trigger type, grips, stock, scope? mag cath and so on. list them here. Im just curious what else you recommend.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Go buy a case of ammo and learn to shoot the friggin' thing instead of pissing money away on shit which will do little to "increase reliability" etc. etc.

It is a good rifle out of the box, get to know it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I've got one already with a RASII and Aimpoint. So here's what I would do:

-Tritium sights
-New grips (I like the hogue)
-PRI Big Latch
-ACOG with BAC (maybe)
-Assuming its a preban I'd get a VLTOR stock
-If its Postban probably a Shorty Stock.
-For Functionality I guess some sort of railed
foreend, maybe a Slimline SIR just b/c i don't have on of those yet?

I would not do a mag catch, or a new trigger (at least not a competition type trigger)

Now just wait for the highspeed guys to show up.[;)]
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends on the intended role of the rifle.  What do you want this rifle to do?  What is the barrel length?

Here is my short list of things I would change:

Trigger (AS or KAC)
Optics  (Aimpoint or ACOG)
Stock  (M93 or VLTOR)
Grip  (G27 or Tango Down)
Forearm  (KAC or DD)
Surefire Light (Millenium or M900)
Stronger Extractor Spring (Colt or Wolff)
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Im a natural dead on. I have no problem with my grouping or accuracy. Ok so that leaves improvements.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 1:20:22 AM EDT
[#5]
A case of ammo and a big can of CLP

I’d also probable/eventually get an Aimpoint or a Leupold CQ/T depending on how the weapon was going to be used.

-J
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 2:55:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Get a good quality sling.

Shabo
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:21:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Sling for sure. Scope is what im still debating on. I do long range target and short range quick shots. Its a 16" barrel 1 by 9 twist
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:35:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Seems like an ACOG with BAC is what you want. The question is do you want to pay for it?

After that the only real choice is the Aimpoint although some will mention the EOTech. The CQ/T is a waste of space.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:04:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Sling
Case
Cleaning kit
Mags
Ammo
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:36:01 AM EDT
[#10]
For a fighting rifle.

Trigger job.
Vortex flash on 16" and shorter barrels.
Sling/Carry strap.
Tritium front, at least.
Flashlight, of some kind.
Lots of mags
Lots of ammo
Lots of training

There is no other kind of rifle. [:)]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#11]
For any AR:
-Plenty of practice ammo
-Plenty of OTM (etc) ammo if AR is for defensive use
-Plenty of spare mags
-Spare parts
-Good cleaning kit
-Dewey one piece cleaning rod
-Chamber brush
-Good extractor spring

Depending on how it's tasked:
-Dedicated weaponlight
-Dedicated optic
-Some sort of backup iron sight
-Decent sling
-Retractable buttstock (if preban) or one setup to your ideal LOP
-Tritium irons (but that's just me [:)])
-Harris bipod for varmint or SPR rigs
-Trigger worked or changed to your specs unless used as a defensive or patrol AR

If for defensive use:
-Carbine or rifle class

Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#12]
mags and ammo!
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:16:53 AM EDT
[#13]
either ACOG is a great choice, but just to much money for an optic for what I use it for. Now if it was my duty weapon then yes price isnt an object to save lives and dead on quick accuracy. I might just bolt up my 4x12x50 I have laying around here.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I dont think that there is much you can do for the rifles reliability, so much as its functionality. I would reccomend a good sling. Perhapes a light on the front, and a colapesable stock of some kind if it is for defense. Other than that I think most things are more for show.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:57:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Well I have a ton of ammo. different types, to see what works best 55 and 62, I have a light and for now a BSA optic for it. I have a bipod already for it and about 20 mags a couple 40's and mostly 30's. although I thought about 20's. I was wondering about the upgrades you see like a spring upgrade. There is this O ring update for the ejector. I do have a nice sling. a little better grip being a lefty. BTW OWW brass really sucks being a lefty. I;ve looked at the EO tech options and also Aimpoint comp ml2. quick target acquisition but im not sure how they do lonnnnggg range 500 yards or so.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Take 1,000 rounds of that ammo and go out and shoot your rifle. Shoot it until it's hot then keep shooting. Make sure it works.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#17]
The best way to outfit any rifle is to go shoot it a lot and determine what things you want to improve. A good formal training course is helpful for several reasons:

1) You get to shoot a lot in varied conditions.
2) You'll get introduced to scenarios you may not have considered before.
3) The instructor usually sees a lot more gear than you do and may have some ideas about solutions to problems you can identify.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Go buy a case of ammo and learn to shoot the friggin' thing instead of pissing money away on shit which will do little to "increase reliability" etc. etc.

View Quote
I'm with this Guy!
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#19]
There are allot of different things people recommend on this board and most are personal preference. There are a few though that almost everyone agrees upon. Trijicon ACOG, recommended models will vary. New grip, much more comfortable than stock A2 grip. Accessory rail hanguard, to mount vertical grips, bipods, lights, lasers, ext. A PRI gasbuster charging handle or the big latch, makes it much easier to work the charging handle especially with gloves. An adjustable stock, 5-6 position is best,Vltor and Magpul seem to be liked far more than the others, much easier to find the perfect condition especially with a poor eye relief scope. A good quality sling, no real consensus. BUIS, Arms#40 is by far the most recommended, in case the scope fails, especially a battery operated red dot. A light, no real consensus on a model but Surefire is the most recommended manufacturer, light is for ovious reasons. USGI magazines,get good quality and lots of them. Ammunition, no junk or reloads and get lots of it. I think that most of the rest of the stuff people argue over allot and is personal preference like vertical grips, lasers, chrome bolt and carriers, flip up front sights, muzzle brakes, 2 stage triggers and a few others. I think that one of those tactical shooting clases would be great. I have heard nothing but good things about them and they have to be a blast.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 12:01:23 PM EDT
[#20]
extractor spring
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

i'm with [b]him[/b]

bwahaha [rofl]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#22]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=173793
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 2:08:59 PM EDT
[#23]
[b] Just wondering , have you even shot this rifle yet ? [/b]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

DING! DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!

We have a winner!

Tell him what he's won Johnny!

[:D]

[bounce]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:51:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I have put about 200 rounds throug it so far. Doesnt kick much at all and I could see teh charging handle being difficult to use in tact gloves sits. You are right its all about shooting finding your weakspots and the weapons.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I have put about 200 rounds through it so far. Doesnt kick much at all and I could see the charging handle being difficult to use in tact gloves sits. You are right its all about shooting finding your weakspots and the weapons.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top