Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2003 7:53:34 AM EDT
Do you HAVE to have a flash hider to attach a bayonet? It won't work with a plain muzzle won't it?
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#1]
It will flop around with a plain muzzle.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 10:18:11 AM EDT
[#2]
You could use a muzzle brake if it's got the right O.D. to accept the bayonet.  Either way you'll need a threaded muzzle to go with that bayo. lug and as has been pointed out many times at this point in time it's "illegal" to have on a "post-ban" AR.   After the AWB sunsets you can legally have a Flash hider and bayo. lug so I'd just wait and get both "evil" features then.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#3]
it will work with a plain barrel provided the OD is the same size as a flash hider. A bayonet will flop around on a standard barrel as stated.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I know that it is illegal to install a bayonet on a post-ban. I have no plans of doing that unless the ban sunsets next year.
The reason was asking is, because I was curious why you can't mount a M9 bayonet on a 16" carbine. But now i know, and thanks for all the responses!
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#5]
There are three solutions that will allow you to use a standard AR-15 bayonet on a 16-inch barrel that I can come up with quickly...

1.  A strap on bayonet lug that can be moved forward of the Front sight.

2.  A slip-over flash hider that comes over the barrel but MOST of these are too large in diameter to use with a bayonet so buy with care!

3.  Buy or build a mid-length grip upper that moves the front sight base forward.  Note:  I think Armakite and RRA's mid-length upper moves the bayonet mounting ring to about the slots in the flash supressor which isn't ideal but would work!

If you don't like those, there were a few guys making LONG handled bayonets that will work but they did look a little funny IMHO.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top