Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/3/2003 5:13:10 PM EDT
  I am interested in this grip for a varmint type setup im using.  The thing is i would say my hands are small but the a2 grip jut doesnt fit right.  I know the feel depends on each person but i havent seen many pictures of people using them. So do this mean some of you have tried it and dont like it for some reason or is it just because most prefer a true ambi grip.  Ive noticed that a a fair amount of people use the egro grips are they much larger than the a2 or is it just different.  Looks like i need to get a membership going so i can do a search past 30 days and support the site.  Anyway thanks and give me some opinions on this grip or another you like that does the same basic thing.  i want to use this rifle for target/ varmint shooting so on this rifle im not too worried about it being ambidextres.  Thanks and pictures are welcome, Major        
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that I can give you the answers you need. I have the SPR grip, Ergo, Ergo rubber and G27. First of all I really like the grip, it fills up the palm of your hand and is the best that I have tried for putting your finger in a better firing position. It is by far the biggest though and if you have small hands I would say don't go for it. The Ergo's are a little bigger than the A2 grip but not enough to put your finger tip on the trigger or anywhere near it. If you are looking for comfort I thing the Fobus G27 is the best with the Ergo rubber one in second.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:49:06 PM EDT
[#2]
The SPR grip is an excellent choice for a varmint / precision rifle. It is pretty big around, but not so big that I see it as a problem for anyone with average or larger hands.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 7:38:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got big hands...I can't even use a tennis raquet off the rack (take a 4-5/8 grip, ad a grip sleeve and two layers of grip tpe)....and the one thing I can say about the SPR is that it feels the most natural and comfortable of any grip I've felt for the AR....
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 8:08:15 PM EDT
[#4]
i have big hands and have tried all the grips out there.The SPR grip fits me the best.If you don't have big hands, I think the G27 would be perfect.I really liked that grip too but prefer where the SPR grip puts my finger on the trigger.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 3:35:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got what I would call medium sized hands. I have an SPR on a bench gun and it is the best feeling AR grip I have ever tried for the reasons stated above. I have a Fobus G27 on my SHTF rifle because the SPR is not ambi in design and it has a slick surface. Never tried the Ergo grips.

Shabo
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 4:08:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Try making your own, it's easy.  The grip on the M16A1 below started as an Ergo.  A few self-tapping screws around the back sticking out a bit and plumbers' epoxy added and shaped to my hand.  A bit of rasping, some sanding with course grit paper and finish painting in automotive rocker panel paint.  I've been modifying stocks for years with plumbers' epoxy, find an old grip and try it.  It's also good for adding palm swells to wood and synthetic stocks.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/067656.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 6:51:45 AM EDT
[#7]
  Thats an interesting idea monkey-man.  i may have to try that.  How does the rocker panel paint feel.  Ive sprayed it on my vehicle but was curious if it sofens up in your hand.  The kind i used was a tar like substance. I saw somewhere where they said to do the same to custom fit if you will the spr grip. They mainly said to rough up the surface and add the putty where you wanted it.  If i did end up buying the spr how thick is it?  Is there enough material on it where i could file some off. I was thinking too on it being slick.  if that didnt work i was going to try to stipple it.            
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 8:10:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Major.  The stuff my car painter uses is called 'automotive stone-chip' and it sprays on black.  When done is has a textured finish similar to the factory ergo grip.  The painter also finishes the job with automotive matt clearcoat to prevent chipping.  My entire McMillan HTG stock is finished in this stuff and has had an epoxy palm swell added.  It has seen quite a bit of bush bustin' and knocking around in a pick-up and has never chipped once.  I highly recommend you try the process, the epoxy part and the painting.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/067829.JPG[/img]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top