Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/3/2003 12:25:21 PM EDT
So is the general agreement that chrome-lined barrels (as in my new Bushie M-forgery) do not need or benefit from a formalized "break in?" [I.e., shoot this many, clean, shoot that many, clean.]

Advice seems to vary but most folks say not to aggressively clean the barrel for 200 rounds or so to speed what I'm going to call "burnishing" but is probably better called something else.

Sound right to all concerned? [I'll be using 55 grain FMJ.]

Related question: any reason not to begin sighting in with the first few rounds? Or will POI vs. POA change meaningfully in first couple hundred rounds so that sighting in is better done later?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#1]
That's my take on it.  I cleaned it first before shooting then 200 rounds before anything else. I sighted in with the first few rounds myself. Bushy 16" Patrolman's Carbine barrel.

Oh, welcome to the board.

Danny
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#2]
welcome [newbie]

I'd run a dry pach through it first to get any oil out of it before fireing. Than putt around 350 rounds through it, then you can start cleaning the barrel.

I don't see any reason to not sight in right away. The POI shouldn't change for around 70 80,000 rounds or so.          

BTW, Bushmaster M4gery nice choice. I held one of those before I bought my Bushy A3 20, might be my next you never know.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:16:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.

Pretty excited about my new baby.

I've got an old Colt AR15 A1 [triangular foregrips, birdcage, no forward assist, no deflector] that I've loved and shot for a long long time.

I was jonesing for a carbine, but could never could get my arms around dropping another upper on it, messing about with the butt stock, etc. Seemed like putting electronic cruise control and a GPS on a classic 57 Chevy.

so  . . .

Got it all-up for $850, plus a they threw in a nice 30-round mag (green follower) as langiappe.

So, yup, a newbie hereabouts and new to any AR made in the last 30 years or so. Should be fun.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top