Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2003 6:35:26 AM EDT
I have an AR-15 I bought from a friend about three years ago. The lower is a Rock River (it says so on the side). But the previous owner said the upper was from someone else, he didnt say who. How can I find the maker? It has a 16" barrel that is .72 OD. Are there any markings I might look for?
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 7:21:11 AM EDT
[#1]

You might find a bit of help here...

[url]www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/uppers[/url]

[url]www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/barrelsbolts[/url]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:33:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

You might find a bit of help here...

[url]www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/uppers[/url]

[url]www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/barrelsbolts[/url]
View Quote

You won't find anything usable on Bigger Hammer, unless you're looking for Colt info. His stuff on other brands is characterised more by error that fact.

If it's an A2 style upper, you may find a forge mark just ahead of the rear sight, but unless it's a Colt piece the forge mark won't help much; since all the aftermarket makers use the same forges [:D]

Go ahead and post a description of any markings you find on the upper; letters, emblems, whatever. If there's any help to be given on this question, we'll need to know what's on thing before we can even attempt an answer[:D]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

His stuff on other brands is characterised more by error that fact.

View Quote

Thanks for the heads up, that's one link I won't reference any longer...
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 6:29:07 AM EDT
[#4]
The only marking I see on the upper is on the right side just ahead of the sight knob. It looks like a small "A" with the top of the "A" being a small triangle attached to an upward canted "H". I dont have a digital camera so I cant post a pic.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 6:55:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The only marking I see on the upper is on the right side just ahead of the sight knob. It looks like a small "A" with the top of the "A" being a small triangle attached to an upward canted "H". I dont have a digital camera so I cant post a pic.
View Quote

The "A" over"H", refered to as the "slintered A" is for [url=forgings.com]Anchor Harvey[/url]. Colt, Bushmaster, Diemaco, DPMS, RRA, OLY, and others are currently using Anchor Harvey upper receivers and carry handles.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:18:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks 'notack'. So I guess the upper could have been the original mate to the lower afterall?
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 3:03:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks 'notack'. So I guess the upper could have been the original mate to the lower afterall?
View Quote

Absolutely[:D]  The key may be in the color of the two pieces. If they're pretty much the same color and "texture" they are probably from the same shop.  This would be especially true with a Rock River lower, since RR older pieces were somewhat darker colored than most of the other brands.  If the upper pretty much matches it, it probably is an RR piece.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:20:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, Shamayim, they are the same color tone. I just wasn't aware that RRA made heavy .72" barrels.

I'm also trying to find the year of manufacture using the serial number, but Im not having much luck with that either. The number doesnt seem to match anything on the list earlier in this forum. Basically, Im just trying to get an idea of the history and pedigree of my gun.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 2:35:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Call Rock River, and ask.  They're sometimes a bit hard to get on the phone, but when I got my first lower of theirs, the lady who answered was able to tell me the ship date and dealer who they shipped it to (the same one I'd bought it from and he'd had it in stock for over a year[:D]) in just a few seconds. I suspect they could also tell you if it was shipped as a complete rifle or as a reciever only. That might help answer your wondering about the barrel.  RR does sell matched upper/lower sets, so the barrel could be another brand.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks. That'll help me a lot.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top