Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/2/2003 5:07:57 AM EDT
Hi, folks.  I am a faily new AR15 owner and just cannot get used to the noise of the buffer sping as it compresses when the action works.  Anyone know of a way to quiten it down?
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 5:17:07 AM EDT
[#1]
The spring noise is just part of the action.  It will become less noticeable the more you shoot the gun.

You can replace the buffer spring with a chrome silicon version; this will eliminate a lot of the buffer noise.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 5:19:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Hi. I lubed my spring with CLP and it helped. I've more or less become able to not notice the noise though.

Danny
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 5:24:29 AM EDT
[#3]
It's the sound of freedom!
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 5:54:30 AM EDT
[#4]
It is Stoner's built in magazine changer indicator!  You don't want to get rid of this feature do you?!?!?!?!?!
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 7:06:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I put some grease on the buffer spring. No more sproing. I've cleaned the tube out and regreased once in about 7000 rounds. YMMV
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 7:37:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hi, folks.  I am a faily new AR15 owner and just cannot get used to the noise of the buffer sping as it compresses when the action works.  Anyone know of a way to quiten it down?
View Quote

You obviously haven't been in the US military in the past 40 years or so. Nothing wrong with that, but for those us of that have, the sproiiing noise and the smell of military powder burning brings back nostalgic memories (at least for me it does)from our days firing various variants of the M16.

If you want to quieten it you can get a hydraulic buffer, but these are expensive. It is the sound of a healthy M16/AR15, you will get used to it with time. You can lube it, but it will require cleaning more often as it will attract paticulate matter.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Grease attracts dirt. Leave it alone . There is nothing wrong. Just part of the design. Like the man said, the sound of freedom.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 10:55:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Wouldnt be an AR or 16 without the "sproing"
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#9]
The Tubb silicone spring helps some but you still hear it. AAC, Oly Arms, and MGI make hydrolic buffers that dont make that noise. All run about $120.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#10]
You may want to look into the pneumatic buffer assembly from Olympic Arms.  I haven't used it, and I don't know anyone who has, but they claim it stops that sproiing sound. Personally, I rather enjoy it..... .  
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Olympic Pneumatic Buffer.

$129 and change.

I have one in my carbine, never had a single problem with it.

In fact I never even remember it's in there till I see one of these threads.

Buy it, you'll like it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a RRA M4 Entry post ban, and I don't have the spring noise.  I'm not sure if it's because of the buffer tube or what.  I shot other guys' M16A1's, and M4's, and they've all got the noise, but mine is nice and smooth.  All's you really hear is the bolt when you work the action.  No spring noise when shooting.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Hollywood, I believe I know why the RRA rifles don't make the buffer spring twang. I bought a RRA complete A2 stock assembly to complete a match rifle build I did, and it didn't make the noise. I wondered why, because all my other rifles did. When I swapped stocks and furniture(the stock/furniture is O.D.) with one of my other rifles, that rifle became silent, and the first rifle strated making the spring noise.

What I found is that the spacer donut that goes at the tip of the buffer tube to bring it to A2 length was plastic for the RRA stock assembly, whereas it was aluminum for the Olympic stock assembly. I believe the plastic spacer muffles and does not conduct the sound like the aluminum spacer, which is milspec. I'll bet if you disassemble your stock, you have a plastic donut in there. I don't know which is better, but I know the military definitely uses an aluminum spacer, at least on the rifles I had, hence the noise.

Hueyflyer, I suppose if you wanted to silence the spring noise cheaply, you could order a plastic spacer from RRA. I intend to replace the plastic spacer in my RRA stock with an aluminum one, just so it's milspec.

Link Posted: 11/2/2003 4:10:22 PM EDT
[#14]
My RRA A2 stock makes that noise. Havent checked to see what the spacer is made of. I did put a Tubb silicone buffer in and it helped some.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 6:11:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My RRA A2 stock makes that noise. Havent checked to see what the spacer is made of. I did put a Tubb silicone buffer in and it helped some.
View Quote

Check sometime and let me know...now I'm really curious. maybe the place I bought it from was just being cheap-was supposed to be an RRA buttstock group though...
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 10:49:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What I found is that the spacer donut that goes at the tip of the buffer tube to bring it to A2 length was plastic for the RRA stock assembly, whereas it was aluminum for the Olympic stock assembly. I believe the plastic spacer muffles and does not conduct the sound like the aluminum spacer, which is milspec. I'll bet if you disassemble your stock, you have a plastic donut in there. I don't know which is better, but I know the military definitely uses an aluminum spacer, at least on the rifles I had, hence the noise.

Hueyflyer, I suppose if you wanted to silence the spring noise cheaply, you could order a plastic spacer from RRA. I intend to replace the plastic spacer in my RRA stock with an aluminum one, just so it's milspec.

View Quote

Well, I don't think that is it.  I grabbed mine and pulled it apart and it has a aluminum spacer.  I pulled out the buffer and spring and looked it also.  It looks like it has some type of coating on it, kind of a gold or brass color to it.  I haven't had many AR's apart to compare it to.  Also, the buffer had a counterweight inside of it that I could hear when I shook it.  My guess would be that coating has something to do with it.  Or, it could be just machined smoother inside the buffer tube.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 11:44:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I dont hear the noise anymore, but I do feel it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 10:46:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Olympic Arms has PNEUMATIC buffers, not Hydraulic.  Hydraulic buffers are crap...sensitive to temperature and are prone to leaking.  The pneumatic buffers eliminate spring noise, drastically reduce muzzle climb, smooth the firing cycle, reduce recoil, will work in any temperature, and might even mow your lawn for you if you adjust the pressure right...
 Also, if you can't tell when your last round was fired based on feel (not the 'sproing' sound), you need more practice.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Bang sproing = good.
Bang no sproing = bad.

If you have a muzzle brake you won't even hear the spring because the damn rifle will be so loud.

Link Posted: 11/3/2003 11:23:49 AM EDT
[#20]
My RRA makes the noise

I kinda like it
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I love the sproing noise. It's one of the cool things about shooting the AR. Oh, and it lets you know when the mags empty.    
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top