Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/2/2003 4:32:33 AM EDT
I see "SPR" very often lately. I am wondering what makes a rifle SPR. It seems any non standard AR is categorized to SPR. Please let me know what you think.

thanks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 5:18:18 AM EDT
[#1]
It's all here:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=134&t=141410[/url]
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 5:23:52 AM EDT
[#2]
The original SPR was very specific, but even the military has changed parts on the gun several times to the point "SPR" has become a generic term.

You'll see just about any A3 20" HBAR with a FF tube, optics and BUIS called an SPR.

Link Posted: 11/3/2003 2:56:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I think I figured it out... SPR = Special PRICED rifle :-)
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think I figured it out... SPR = Special PRICED rifle :-)
View Quote

LOL, yeah, VERY sprecial price!
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 10:07:37 AM EDT
[#5]
SPR originally was Special Purpose Receiver and the idea was for a squad level "sniper" type rifle. Details provided in the MSTN link by [b]bsbg[/b]. SPR has been expanded to Special Purpose Rifle to include other weapons, such as the Remington 700, that were/are used for the same idea.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually Special Purpose Rilfe was a misappropriation of funds which developed the rifle and not the upper only which was specified.  I have never seen a stock Remington 700 used in the military and never seen an M40 or M24 sniper rifle reffered to as an SPR.  The only SPR bolt gun I know of the the Special Police Rifle based off a Winchester M70 action.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top