Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2003 6:42:35 PM EDT
I just built a new AR. I put a Hart 26" barrel on it. Chronographed it the other day and to my surprise I was only getting 3175 fps. I am shooting 50 gr v-max, 26.5 gr of varget. Just guessing I thought that I should at least get 3450-3500 fps with that load. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 3:43:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Try another powder. Varget is relatively slow burning compared to the ball powders. It is suited for the heavier (62-77gr) bullets. I have had good luck with H335 with the lighter bullets. I use 27gr with a 40gr Vmax. W748 is the military equivalent. Go over to the reloading section for more advice.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 6:35:24 AM EDT
[#2]
By far my favorite powder for the 50-53 gr. range bullets is Benchmark. Burns very clean, great velocity, meters good if you are using a throw, and it's supposed to be temp insensitive. My second fav is AA2015. Varget is a good powder, but too slow for 50 gr. bullets. I get 3515 fps. out of a 26" 1x12 twist Rem 700 using 50gr. V-max's and Benchmark. That doesn't mean you will, all chamber/barrel/load combos are different, but I bet you'll be happy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top