Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2003 3:34:18 PM EDT
Hi gang!

I want to buy a threading kit, flash hider, and new front sight Base with bayo lug for when/if the ban goes away, I would not want to try and buy that stuff then.  I will risk the expense of the ban not going away and not being able to use this stuff, so let's please not start yet another thread debating that well traveled thread.  

What I want to know is what thread size the A2 flash hiders use.  I just measured the barrel of my Bushmaster XM15-E2S 20" HBAR and it was .698". +/- I am afraid it will need to be turned down to a smaller size, making this operation more expensive, if even possible.

Can anyone enlighten me?  I found a barrel threading kit at www.dynasystems-ltd.com/GunFile/TAT.html that is for 1/2x28RH w/ a .223 alignment tool.  

I just want to be able to have a little home gunsmithing party next September.

Be sure to keep writing those letters.

Thanks,
Echap
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for that link.

Hope I get to use it.

I wrote my letters!

[url=http://www.dynasystems-ltd.com/GunFile/ThrInstr.html]Instructions(This was right on that link above)[/url]

genius91
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Before you can use that kit, you will have to have the barrel removed chucked in a lathe, diam turned to .5" with a good square shoulder and thread relief cut in front of the shoulder. If you are just doing this to one rifle it would be cheaper just to pay a machinist or a gunsmith to do it all.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 5:48:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh, thanks, I was afraid of that.  I imagine there will lots of guys doing that next year.  I guess I will just wait. I was wanting to be proactive.

Link Posted: 10/31/2003 6:21:39 AM EDT
[#4]
echap,

Just buy another barrel. By the time you buy all the parts [i]die kit, FSB, FS[/i] and pay to have the work [i]barrel turned, FSB mounted[/i] done you've reached the price of a new barrel anyway. Die cut threads are never as good [i]concentric, clean[/i] as lathe turned ones anyway.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 4:53:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I checked with Bushmaster and the cost of a new 20" HBAR barrel is $175 + $15 shipping.  That price is installed.  I reckon what I'll do is shoot the piss out of this one so it's wore out come September [:)]

Thanks for the info.
Echap
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top