Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2003 5:59:56 AM EDT
Hello, I need to purchase a DCM AR service rifle for my daughter (no, really). She wants to compete in the Junior Rifle League at the local range. I do not know which one to choose for her.
Which is best??????? I have heard that Armalite is better than RRA, Bushmaster, and Olympic arms. But talk is cheap. Can anyone offer an opinon based on experience?

Thank you for your time and knowledge,
                          Randy
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the RRA National Match.  I have been well pleased with its accuracy and quality in all respects.

Link Posted: 10/30/2003 7:36:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#3]
If she is going to shoot Service Rifle class, [url]http://www.compasslake.com[/url].

I bought an armalite DCM service rifle upper and have been extremely pleased with it.
If you buy an off brand, make sure they give you true national match rear sights with 1/4x1/4 MOA increments, not just a standard A2 rear sight with a .036 aperture. There are many pretenders out there.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 9:45:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Check with John Holliger from White Oak Precision (www.whiteoakprecision.com).  John is a well known AR-smith and is the 2002 National Service Rifle champion.  He knows his AR.  He offers various DCM AR uppers, but the entry level upper he has is a basic RRA DCM upper that has been fine tuned by John himself.

oz
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought the DCM Bushmaster and I am very happy with it. It shoots great even with 55 grain ball ammo. The alleged problem with the Bushmaster is their NM trigger that is not supposed to last over 500 rounds according to some of the internet "experts". Mine has about 1,800 rounds and my friend bough one the next day after I bought mine. His has about 1,000 rounds through it and no trigger problems so far.

But if I had to do it all over again I would call Hollinger and get one of his tuned RRA rifles.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I think I went the best of all options/price by getting the Bushmaster DCM upper assembly complete and mating it with the standard Bushmaster lower, but then installing the John Holliger trigger.
Sweet... just sweet.

Teeline
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm also having trouble selecting my first match AR. My choices are as follows:

a. Rock River Arms NM
b. Bushmaster DCM
c. Armalite NM
d. DPMS DCM

I've heard that the RRA has outstanding accuracy. I've heard that the DCM does too. I've heard that the build quality on the Armalites is superior to all the rest. I've heard the DPMS has an extremely smooth trigger. I'm in a deadlock.

Which is the best one out of these, and why?
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#8]
The best one is the one that has the best shooter behind it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#9]
...Bleh...[:(]

They can't ALL be that equal. One must have an advantage over the others...[:)]
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I think your mainstream manufacturers as listed above will be very similar. When you start getting into high dollar custom parts like Krieger or Douglas air-gauged barrels you might see be a bigger difference if your shooting is that good. At a certain point, accuracy gains can only be achieved in very small increments.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an ArmaLite.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have an ArmaLite.
View Quote

The Armalite DCM rifle got very good reviews in the articles I read, thats why I bought one. The only thing about mine is the way the rear sight apertures are reversed. Armalite says it works better because it produces less glare with the flat side out, but I may switch to a conventional hooded .036" NM sight aperture.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#13]
HKdude,

Give [url=http://www.arringtonaccuracy.com]Phil Arrington[/url] a call; he is a top-notch service rifle gunsmith. He is also very interested in seeing juniors compete; he does a lot of work for the juniors down in Arizona.

As for girls shooting, my little sister is a high master, was in the Presidents 100 a few years back and had the national record for womens/offhand (don’t know if she still does). Two weeks ago I got beat bad in our local match by a 19 year old master shooter from the university, she was cute too. For any number of reasons people can speculate about, women/girls seem to do exceptionally well in shooting sports.

Get her going and give her lots of encouragement, and pretty soon, you too will have a daughter that can scare off the creepy boyfriends all by her self.

Best regards, J
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 11:46:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Wanna go to my bedroom and see my [size=6][b]RIFLE[/b][/size=6]
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 4:14:19 AM EDT
[#15]
For any number of reasons people can speculate about, women/girls seem to do exceptionally well in shooting sports.
View Quote

I have been involved in teaching kids and adults rifleman skills for years and that is not bench shooting that so many people seem to think is real shooting but real rifleman skills shooting from field positions with a sling.

One thing I have always noticed from the first time I did this was the girls useally learn much quicker than the boys.

My opinion about this is because they are much more likely to listen to the instructor and do EXACTLY as he says.

Too many boys have the attitude that they already know what they are doing and their sandbagging fathers have already screwed them up so badly with their bad shooting habits.

They will not listen and do as they are told. Their ego gets in their way.

Ladies have the ability to shoot the positions well because of the nature of their bodies.

Some think that this type of shooting requires a lot of phyisical strenth but that is not the case. Your shooting positions use your bones and not muscles for support.

They seem to be able to get into the position exactly the same each time much more eaisly than the men.

We have had some 10 to 12 year female smallbore shooters that started off shooting scores that were amazing and useally the ones that had never shot anything before are the ones that learn the quickest. They have no bad habits to break.

The ARs lack or recoil makes it a fine rifle for the ladies.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top