Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/29/2003 8:32:56 PM EDT
Hello.

I have a DPM M4 upper (from CMMG) that has the M4 Feedramp cuts in the upper.

Well, they weren't lined up right and I took a Dremel to it to try and make one full ramp on each feedramp. I fudged it up a little and now when the AR feeds rounds the tips are a little dented. It feeds just fine but I am worried that the slightly bent tips will decrease accuracy.

I want to put a new barrel extension in it, I kind of want the Chrome ones to help in feeding and cleaning. Do I have to get a special barrel extension because of the ramps?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#1]
HUH? Barrel nuts have nothing to do with feeding ramps, nothing!
Post a pic of what you have done so we can see what can be saved. I feel a migrain coming on.
Jack
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 11:20:26 PM EDT
[#2]
It sounds to me like you may be mistaking the barrel nut for the barrel EXTENSION.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 12:19:29 AM EDT
[#3]
And the barrel extensions are not chromed. The chamber is chromed and the bleed out is within 1/4" of the chamber edge.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:05:54 AM EDT
[#4]
barrel nut is on the other side of the reciever
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 7:25:58 AM EDT
[#5]
So which end is the muzzle?
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 7:42:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And the barrel extensions are not chromed. The chamber is chromed and the bleed out is within 1/4" of the chamber edge.
View Quote

No. I have seen Barrel extensions that are chromes.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 7:51:10 AM EDT
[#7]
If you were cutting on feed ramps, you were working on the barrel extension, not the barrel nut. Your chances of finding a new extension which will index with your gas port and front sight are very slim!! The only way I know to fix it is to install a new extension, weld up and recut the gas port and sight tower grooves. Total cost to rework it would probably come close to that of a new barrel. We learn as we go, and since you didn't even know what part you were working on, you kind of "had it coming"!! Expensive lesson!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 7:54:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
We learn as we go, and since you didn't even know what part you were working on, you kind of "had it coming"!! Expensive lesson!!
View Quote

I got one part name mixed up and now I didn't know what I was working on, huh?

I didn't to anything to the nut. I was working on the extension that didn't line up in the first place. It feeds 100% fine, just marks of the round a little.

I really don't think anything needs to be don't to the gas port. The extension has nothing to do with that.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#9]
OK, so you want to argue and show just how little you DO know about it?? IF YOU ARE CONTEMPLATING REPLACING THE EXTENSION, AS YOUR ORIGINAL POST INDICATES: The barrel extension has EVERYTHING to do with the location of the gas port. There might not be anything wrong with the gas port NOW, but I'm betting there will be if you replace the extension. The locating pin/hole in the extension is the index point for locating the gas port and sight tower, as well as indexing the feed ramps.If you are going to attempt to replace the extension, you need to understand the relationship between the extension and the other parts and functions, (including headspace, which will have to be reset with the new extension).  Get a book, it will be cheaper (AND SAFER) than fumbling your way thru what you obviously know very little about. If I rubbed a raw spot, so be it. YOU screwed it up, not me. I don't see why there would have been misalignment of the feed ramps to begin with, unless you have buggered the alignment slot in the upper.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#10]
[lolabove]

Now [b]that's[/b] entertainment. 6700 posts to 37. [V]

M4,
While nothing is outside the range of possibility (re. chromed ext's) I have never seen one. I have seen quite a few that [i]other[/i] people thought were chromed. Those extensions were standard ones. As they come from the factory they have a highly polished exterior left from being honed to size.

FWIW, it's not the tip of the bulllet that affects accuracy so much as the base of the bullet. How "accurate" do you expect an M4 barrel to be anyway? I can't imagine the degradation from a deformed bullet tip is even going to be noticeable.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
[lolabove]

Now [b]that's[/b] entertainment. 6700 posts to 37. [V]

M4,
While nothing is outside the range of possibility (re. chromed ext's) I have never seen one. I have seen quite a few that [i]other[/i] people thought were chromed. Those extensions were standard ones. As they come from the factory they have a highly polished exterior left from being honed to size.

FWIW, it's not the tip of the bulllet that affects accuracy so much as the base of the bullet. How "accurate" do you expect an M4 barrel to be anyway? I can't imagine the degradation from a deformed bullet tip is even going to be noticeable.
View Quote

Thanks for everyone's input. I have seen barrels put in and extensions changed and no one fiddled with the gas port and front site post.

I guess they didnt know any better and that's why I thought it wouldn't make any difference with my barrel.

You guy don't have to be shit heads about it, just because I have never done this before.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I have never see it shown that there is any direct correlation between how many times you flap your jaw and the credibility of what you espouse!! Talk (or post) as much as you want, bullcrap by the ton is the same as by the bushel, still crap!! Some of us read a lot here, and only offer an opinion when we can give accurate and informed facts. 6700 posts of BS is still BS!!!
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 9:26:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have never see it shown that there is any direct correlation between how many times you flap your jaw and the credibility of what you espouse!! Talk (or post) as much as you want, bullcrap by the ton is the same as by the bushel, still crap!! Some of us read a lot here, and only offer an opinion when we can give accurate and informed facts. 6700 posts of BS is still BS!!!
View Quote

Ok, what exactly is BS?

Tell me what I said was BS.

I told you that the people that I know who changed out barrels and/or extensions said they didn't have to do anything to the gas port/front site post. Now because I was mis-informed means I am talking BS?

Dont think so. If I wanted to talk BS about something I didnt know I wouldn't have asked for suggestions.

Next time you log on, make sure you log in your common sense as well.

Now. Please again state to me where I posted BS in this thread?

Asking questions is BS?

Link Posted: 11/1/2003 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Where is that icon with the big BS flag?? Ask any 'smith that frequents the board and they will tell you that it is highly improbable that you can change the extension and have it align with the other existing components. I'm calling BULLCRAP here big time, you have NOT seen extensions changed randomly and have them in alignment. Why would you make such a statement, especially about something that could cost someone a lot of money or be potentially dangerous!!Who, when, where??? were these extension changes made, and why would anyone want/need to change one unless, like you, they had screwed it up???
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#15]
RE: BS -- I apologize and stand corrected. I did not mean to infer that your long list of posts were BS. I have not read them, and have no way of knowing what they contained. My statement was meant to apply only to the current subject, barrel extensions. For the statement concerning the 6700 posts, I again apologize.--- As to the current subject, I think it is irresponsible of you to spread misinformation about the random changing of extensions.I have tried different extensions in an effort to reduce headspace, and have never found one that would just screw on and align with the existing features. I have also cut threads, chambered, installed extensions on new barrels, and done the locating and drilling of the gas port. I did notice that in your second post concerning changing extensions that you changed from "seeing it done" to " what the people that did the changes said". Which is it, did you see it done or just hear about it?? Your statement is simply second hand hearsay, you have no way of confirming it's accuracy, and that qualifies as BS.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
RE: BS -- I apologize and stand corrected.
View Quote

Glad you reconized this

As to the current subject, I think it is irresponsible of you to spread misinformation about the random changing of extensions.
View Quote

Asking a question isnt "spreading misinformation" as you put it.

I have tried different extensions in an effort to reduce headspace, and have never found one that would just screw on and align with the existing features.

Wouldn't it have been far easier to say that from the get go?

I have also cut threads, chambered, installed extensions on new barrels, and done the locating and drilling of the gas port.

Glad to see that you know what your talking about.

I did notice that in your second post concerning changing extensions that you changed from "seeing it done" to " what the people that did the changes said".
View Quote

Yup. thats correct. I saw a person do this but I didnt see themn take to to the range and see how well it worked.
See the difference?

Which is it, did you see it done or just hear about it?? Your statement is simply second hand hearsay, you have no way of confirming it's accuracy,
View Quote

That's why the hell I am here asking about it. Because I never said what I saw and what I was told was absolutely 100% fact. Its because I want to hear from other members (that are a little more polite and mature than what you have shown) so I can get this thing in the best shape that can be had.

Now. Again, do you still think my question and is BS?

You still think I didn't see what I saw someone doing? I never said it worked, I just relayed what I saw and what I was told for god sakes!
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 11:25:04 AM EDT
[#17]
[b]M4_Aiming_at_U[/b]...I suggest posting your query over in the KKF Industry forum.  Kurt will answer your question and will probably do it a little less beligerantly.  [;)]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Who manufactures them?  Why doesnt the military use them?
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Who manufactures them?  Why doesnt the military use them?
View Quote

I am still searching.
Its either DPMS or Oly Arms.

The military? Who knows. Although I have a few Military style AR's doe sthat mean all of mine must be as well?
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#20]
M4_Aiming_at_U, do you need someone to change the barrel extension for you?
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#21]
M4_Aiming_at_U,

While it is possible, but not proper, to remove the barrel extension and re install it without losing the index between the alignment pin and the front sight post it is very rarely possible that a different extension will time up with the front sight post when installed. Not all parts on the AR are interchangeable.

This conversation may be about two different animals.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 9:35:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You guy don't have to be shit heads about it, just because I have never done this before.
View Quote

BTW, you quoted me so I'm left to assume you directed part of that at me, I am/was on your side with my "6700-37" post. FYI.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#23]
The way people are attacked at times here is unbeleivable.If we were all at the range ARMED and talking this subject amongst ourselves there would probably be a lot more respect going around.This is why the ANTI-GUN crowd is able to gain ground on us.We attack each other instead of trying to help.If we attack anything it should be the polocies that are trying to take our rights away.A little civility would be nice to see.We all might have to depend on each other one day in a fight for freedom or defense of our country.To RIMFIRE go easy man ive seen enough of how human beings can be at their best and worst,I like best better.Our fellow AR15.comers are not the enemy.We can agree to disagree but lets do it in a manner befitting human beings instead of animals.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#24]
[sniff] [sniff] That brings a tear to my eye it does.

Bad smells have that effect on me. [;D]

FWIW,

Here's a barrel extension.
[img]http://www.alscustom.com/shop/images/BarrelParts.jpg[/img]

Didn't have any luck finding a clear pic of a barrel nut by itself but if it doesn't look like what's in the above left then it's not a barrel extension.

Link Posted: 11/3/2003 12:10:03 AM EDT
[#25]
There are many knowledgable individuals on this board.  When BS is spouted, intentionally or not, it is usually challenged.  Many people cannot handle being called on it, some get pretty emotional.  This isn't fighting, this is just people over reacting.  That over reaction is usually what takes the negatively to the next level.  Some people just can't accept the truth or an opposing position, and some take it upon themselves to beat them over the head with the truth if that is what it takes.  If the BS is not challenged, many readers will end up believing and passing on the same BS, causing more problems down the line.  Of course, some are just really highly opinionated and have personal ego problems.

At any rate, good picture Tweak - I just wanted to point out that the barrel nut is figure #6, and to add that while the pictured barrel extension may look chrome, I am confident it is just in the white and polished.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 12:16:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There are many knowledgable individuals on this board.  When BS is spouted, intentionally or not, it is usually challenged.  Many people cannot handle being called on it, some get pretty emotional.  This isn't fighting, this is just people over reacting.  That over reaction is usually what takes the negatively to the next level.  Some people just can't accept the truth or an opposing position, and some take it upon themselves to beat them over the head with the truth if that is what it takes.  If the BS is not challenged, many readers will end up believing and passing on the same BS, causing more problems down the line.  Of course, some are just really highly opinionated and have personal ego problems.
View Quote

And yet the supposed "BS" I gave was never sited.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:04:46 AM EDT
[#27]
I was only talking in general.  However, I think the major points of contention were - barrel extensions are not chromed, and it would be almost as easy to win the lotto as to get a another barrel extension that would index the same as the one it replaced (yes, exagerration), so a claim that you have seen several done that way is highly dubious.  Not saying you are wrong about these two items, just that is what people seemed to have a problem with, and they called BS.  As I have not seen every barrel extension made, nor replaced barrel extensions (would not even attempt it due to timing problems), so I can't say if what you claim is true or false.  However, this is not the experience that the most of the others have.  My previous post was to point out that the "fighting" that was spoke of is the trouncing of suspected BS by others, which tends to escalate at times depending upon the reaction.  Some people will not accept (not saying you) that they are wrong, or admit to it, and thus the attacks continue - something I have come to expect on this board as many wish to keep falsehoods and myths from propagating, somewhat overzealously at times.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top