Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/28/2003 4:37:25 PM EDT
I did a search and the only thing I found was to shoot the heck out of it, and clean it when I get home.  Any other opinions on the subject?  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the bbl chrome lined?
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's chrome lined read this:
[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/faqnew/content_by_cat.asp?contentid=167&catid=100[/url]

If it's not chrome lined read this:
[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/faqnew/content_by_cat.asp?contentid=135&catid=100[/url]

If it's stainless steel read this:
[url]http://www.bushmaster.com/faqnew/content_by_cat.asp?contentid=136&catid=100[/url]

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
My barrel is not chrome lined.  It's the standard Shaw 1:9 twist that comes with the J&T kit.  Just curious, why do you have a prodecure to break in the barrel.  What if I just go out and shoot a hundred rounds or so through it, and then clean it when I get home?
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Barrel break in is a myth created by barrel manufacturers to get you to wear your barrel out faster and buy another one.  Go shoot your rifle then clean it.  It will not be any easier or harder to clean or any more or less accurate whether you break it in or not.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Barrel break in is always worth an argument here!!  [:D]

Below are some earlier threads on the topic.  The last one deals with Remington 700’s - but since you’ve got a non-chromed barrel, it might also be relevant to you.

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=170855&w=searchPop[/url]

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=209685&w=searchPop[/url]

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=201618&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I own both a SA National Match M1A and an Oly Arms FAR-15.  On both rifles I went through  the pain in the ass break in procedure.  On both rifles I was getting less fouling after 5 or 10 shots at the end of the break in than I was after 1 or 2 shots at the beginning.  I have found both rifles easier to clean than on my Brother's Certury Arms Austrian parts kit FAL (I'm sure there was no break in there) or my M-16 when I was a soldier (again - no break in).  You can do what you want with your own rifle, but I'm going to properly break in every rifle I buy.  I'm definatly a believer.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:39:47 PM EDT
[#7]
And had you just fired all the shots and cleaned once at the end youd have less fouling too.  Pain in the ass break in procedures were invented for the sole purpose of getting you to put rounds through the bore before you try shooting for accuracy.  This decreases barrel life and nothing more.  The increase in accuracy and decrease in fouling is a natural occurance with the barrel having rounds put through the bore and special cleaning regimines will not make it foul less or increase accuracy.  There is no science behind barrel "break in".  Its an urban legend started by custom barrel manufacturers to put more money in their pockets.  Its in the same league with "hard chrome wears aluminum uppers" and "energy dump = 1 shot stop" and other nonsense.

I am sorry but comparing hand lapped match grade barrels to milspec barrels is a false causality.  The break in had no effect.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is some info [url]www.loadyourown.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000148.html[/url]

Gale McMillan talks about break-in.  [:)]
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Barrel break in is a myth created by barrel manufacturers to get you to wear your barrel out faster and buy another one.  Go shoot your rifle then clean it.  It will not be any easier or harder to clean or any more or less accurate whether you break it in or not.
View Quote
Devl is right on this one. I have had at least 15-20 Quality Varmit-sniper style rifles. Also Believed in break in until I bought a used Remington 700 varmit in 223Rem that shot better than any rifle that I had used break periods with.  Under .25 MOA with a cheep Tasco scope.  Best shooting rifle I have ever had. Compared to the MC Millen and Remington Sniper style rifles that I had spent hundreds more on and spent hours breaking in. Shootem and have fun with them.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Always break in a barrel when the moon is full. . . . . .
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top