Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2003 2:18:25 PM EDT
I have had some trouble with a purchase I made. An individual contacted me through ebay about purchasing some optics for my AR. I checked out the fellows feed back and then went a step further and emailed people he had dealt with. They all responded that he was a stand up guy. So I sent him the money. Then when he went to UPS to ship the item, some one at UPS said that the value was higher than what he had sold the item for. So now he is demanding more money and doesn't wish to refund my money since I do not want to pay more. Does anyone in London know if there is any recourse through the British legal system? Or could provide any help in this matter? I don't believe he is English as his writing is not at all proper English more like it is a second language and his last name is French. Any help or insight would be GREATLY appreciated here.

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a few contacts in London.

What exactly happened though?

I am a bit confused - you say he went to UPS to ship you a scope - and someone at UPS told him he was selling it for too little?  That doesn't make sense - why would a UPS person knopw the value of scopes, or even care?
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#2]
My thoughts exactly. I guess since it was being sent from the UK to the US a declared value was needed or maybe for insurance? I am not sure. Any way he said some one at UPS said he had sold it for too little and said "he had been fooled." and then demanded more money for the tracking number. You see I am not sure if he shipped it or not and will not answer emails to the fact. When I explained that he had contacted me and set the price I was confused as to who had fooled him. Again I think English is not a first language for him. I am completely astounded by this as I have his name and address in London. Either he is just a goof or a complete con artist with an entire feed back profile on ebay that is made up, which I doubt. SO I just don't know what to do at this point...

IPSC_GUY send
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 3:57:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you strike this deal through Ebay, or outside Ebay? They have pretty specific rules about soliciting / buying listed items outside the auction. How did you pay? PayPal?? If so you may have recourse there if things don't work out.
I bid on a EOTech 552 Rev E. a couple of months ago from a seller that had ZERO feedback, and kept all his bid info hidden. To make a short story long, I didn't meet the reserve price and "lost" the auction (I bid $250). The dude emails me after the end of the auction and wants to sell me the sight for my bid price?!! Sweet deal, huh??  
A) The guy was violating Ebay policy by soliciting me outside the auction.
B) He wouldn't invoice me through Ebay (there is an Ebay kosher way to work these deals, but you have to complete the transaction thru Ebay)
C) Would not provide name, address, phone # or reference.

I ran.

I know this probably doesn't help you.

"CAVEAT EMPTOR"!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Alas I did this outside EBAY so there is nothing there and I paid him using western union. Now I have a name and address for this cat but it may be completely bogus. When I checked him out via his feedback everyone I conacted rogered up that they had no troubles with him, so here I am.

IPSC_GUY sends

and yes you are aboslutely right

"CAVEAT EMPTOR"!!!!!!

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top