Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2003 12:39:35 PM EDT
do you think they will be legal to every day joe?
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that postbans will have no restrictions but if it is marked LEO only or has a designation stamped on it probably not.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Assuming no new legislation replaces the ban, and that the LEO weapon is not covered under the NFA of 1934 (full-auto, silenced, short-barrel), the gun will be completely legal for anyone to own.

Link Posted: 10/28/2003 1:25:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I would think that they would be legal just for the fact that you can get LEO lowers right now, and build a post ban gun with it. Why would it change.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I would like one stamped Govt only.

Kinda seem fitting being an American citizen with a Govt stamped gun. [;)]
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 4:49:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Many LEO marked items are payed for by the individual Officer and are owned by the officer.  After the ban they could be sold to you for a handsome PROFIT!
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#7]
The individual officer who buys an LEO weapon or magazine, DOES pay the excise tax on the item. Therefore, it CAN be sold to anyone.

The only discount an LEO gets on an LEO rifle is a discount granted by the distributor. Since that distributor is a private company and can grant any amount of discount he chooses to, or not to, it has no effect on what happens to the item after the initial sale.

The only thing that an LEO rifle will be if the AWB sunsets, will be a novelty souvenir from a period in time we will all be glad has come and gone. A person would be able to buy one just to say "A year ago, I would have gone to jail for having this"
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I have already acquired a couple of LEO stripped lowers on speculation as I feel there's a better than even chance the AWB will go away. Worst case it'll just be another post-ban receiver, best-case it will appreciate in value as a collector's piece.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 4:02:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Please tell me where I might get an LEO marked stripped lower.  What company will sell them in that state?

As some of you may know, I went around and around with some people over this very issue.  I won, but still got a lot of flak over it.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#10]
In your mind you won, in many others you did not and seem willing to do whatever you want.  Either way, it shouildn't be an issue in 11 months!
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#11]
All you'd have to do is research the letter of the law, and analyze it logically.   My position is supported entirely by that research.

Ergo,  I won.

CJ
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Uh, hey, yeah, count me in for an LEO-marked lower.

Who's selling them?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Here ya go:

[url]http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=13518965[/url]

CJ

Link Posted: 11/15/2003 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Rock River Arms used to sell me LEOnly stipped lowers but I have not asked for any for a couple years. Thier markings are not too deep mostly looks like white paint on the surface of the anodizing.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 11:52:08 PM EDT
[#15]
And only firearms that go direct from the manuf. to the agency do not get excise tax paid on them. So any gun that goes through a dealer or distributor first gets the tax paid.

Question all the Police Trade in Glocks, many probably came direct from Glock to the dept. then traded in later, now a used gun for sale again to anyone. Any tax ever get paid on these used guns?
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Question all the Police Trade in Glocks, many probably came direct from Glock to the dept. then traded in later, now a used gun for sale again to anyone. Any tax ever get paid on these used guns?
View Quote

David,

No FET/ or makeup tax is paid when the weapons are resold.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Man, that auction that has them for $250 is a bit steep.  Up until recently the guys buying new Colt rifle to strip and sell for "pre-ban" parts were selling the stripped leo lowers for $99 all day long.  I guess after they sold the upper off for $595, the bolt and carrier for $200, the collapsible stock for $200 and the lower parts for $100, they could have given away the lower.  The extra $100 was just bonus.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top