Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/28/2003 12:33:02 AM EDT
Where is the best site to find out about reloading 223 for the AR-15.  I'm interested in just loading some plinking loads to use up the all the bullets, powder, and brass I bought years ago before I was able to buy some large quantities of factory loaded 223.  From reading some threads I thought this site had a reloading section but cannot find it.  Any suggestions or just a good plinking load to start with would be great.  I have 55 gr FMJ and IMR4895(I think that is the right number) I was planning to use for loading this.  Thanks.

Dave
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 12:35:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Reloading section is in the General forum.  Click on general, scroll down and you should see it.

Most reloading manuals should have reloading instructions for that combo.  I'd go look in my Speer manual now, but I've been up for way too long.  Good luck and good night.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 2:26:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  Found the section.  I never go there since I'm usually only  interested in AR-15 stuff.  I'm surprise under the AR-15 community there isn't a specific area for the AR only.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're making a 55gr FMJ plinking load, don't worry about the powder...the FMJ bullet is gonna cost you some accuracy inherently; my advice is to get some cheap powder that meters well, and crank out as much as you can.  

My current plinking load is using Hornady 55gr blemished bullets from Lock Stock and Barrel for $33 per thousand, and I used up the last of the Win 748 that I never had good luck with accuracy wise.  

I use the 4895 for working up accuracy loads, which means I weigh each charge...a royal PIA, and certainly not necessary for plinking ammo.    

BTW, my best accuracy has come with either 55gr Nosler BTs, 55gr Hornady VMAXs, and 69gr Sierra Match Kings, with a powder including Varget, AA2230, AA2250, and Reloader 7. All of those are ball powders or small extruded that measure very nicely in the Dillon 550B.  I've got 3 different .223s--2 ARs and a bolt--that will do consistent sub moa with these combos.  YMMV, and of course you'll have to experiment if you want to get anything really accurate.  

I'd save the 4895 for the accuracy loads, and just get something cheap and easy to work with (read BALL POWDER lol) for your plinking loads.  The Hornady bullets I got seem considerably more accurate than the Winchester 55gr FMJs, fwiw.  I'm actually getting around 1 1/2 to 2" out of my plinking load, which I'm very happy with.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#4]
There are two "pet" loads in [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=173212]this thread[/url]

Aside from that, I've always had great luck with load data from Hornady:

[url=http://www.hornady.com/loadnotes/223r.html]Hornady 223 load data[/url]
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 7:33:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Won't say it is the most accurate load but I found that 26.2g of Win 748 duplicates the Winchester Q3131A round.  This powder pours extremely well in powder measures and isn't all that expensive.

As for H4895, I don't know but would defer you to any of the popular loading manuals out there.  I just bought a pound of it to work up a 80 grain match load and it is the first time I have ever used it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top