Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2003 12:14:04 AM EDT
I've seen guns with purpley finishes put out by a number of different quality manufacturers.. HK, Bushmaster.. and now my new Olympic upper.. what causes this? If I wanted to have a gun like this refinished is that still possible? (I'm thinking of all the German police HK P7's I'm seeing out there..)

Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/28/2003 12:39:45 AM EDT
[#1]
The purple finish comes from contaminants in the dye during the finishing process. This commonly occurs when too many parts are run through the vat, so to speak. In other words, the pristene dye can treat so many parts before it ends up purpling the stuff. Given their bad rep some years ago for pushing the limits, you will be hard pressed to see a new Bushmaster in purple. Mine is an even-toned black. Their small parts, i.e., windage knobs are a different story.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 3:38:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Even Colt turns out lowers with a purplish tint to them...my MT6551 is a good example.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 4:10:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a pre ban Bushy purple people shooter.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 6:27:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Will the manufacturer redo the finish under warranty?

If not, what does it cost to have the gun reanodized?
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 6:49:25 AM EDT
[#5]
RRA are the blackest of the black.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:11:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Will the manufacturer redo the finish under warranty?

If not, what does it cost to have the gun reanodized?
View Quote

Check out www.techplate.com

John
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#7]
purple bushies were a big topic around here a few years ago. I kinda like the barney look, they arent that purple for those who havent seen them.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 9:41:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a PreBan BM that has a slight purple tint, really the only way to see it is if you hold at the right angle in the sun or shine a flashlight on it.. Then you can kinda see it..Its a '93 lower that almost perfectly matches a newer Post Ban upper..  John
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#9]
So the purple tinge has nothing to do with the composition of the metal? I thought this was the case with some of the HK P7's out there.. I'd like to buy one of those guns, but only if it could be refinished in the dark black it should be.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top