Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/26/2003 4:35:38 AM EDT
My 1987 vintage Colt AR15 HBAR has a threaded type takedown or pivot pin; its body diameter is 0.315" (just over 5/16").

I saw another similar AR15 rifle yesterday at a gun show with a pin that had a small spring loaded ball at the end, and which could just be pushed out, making disassembly more easily. The dealer who had the rifle had no information on the pin.

Does anyone know if this type of pin is commercially available, and if so, where?

Thanks,

Alex
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 4:50:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I have seen the pins for sale, can not remember where though. Will look around.

Found [url]http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/oak-01.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:02:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Check at Bushmaster, DPMS and Brownells. I have 2 and they came from one of these places.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:35:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's a place online that sells them, $5.95

[url=http://www.johnmasen.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=J&Product_Code=1540&Category_Code=AA]johnmasen.com[/url]

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:28:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Awesome! I just ordered two of them from Bushmaster. I didn't know there was such a thing.

Thanks for asking this question Alex [:)]
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I actually had the front detent spring hole drilled in my colt. Cost me $25 if I remember correctly. Now my colt uses the normal takedown pin.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I actually had the front detent spring hole drilled in my colt. Cost me $25 if I remember correctly. Now my colt uses the normal takedown pin.
View Quote

Only works if you've got a small pin reciever. Original poster has a big hole version[:D]
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#7]
These pins work, but there will be some looseness between the upper and lower.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#8]
With these non-captive take-down pins, it's never a bad idea to stash a spare in your buttstock or pistol grip.

southern
[url]www.danieldefense.com[/url]
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 4:52:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Both of my preban Colts have slab-sided receivers without raised fences. Can that still be done?
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 7:41:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I honestly do not know about the slab side. Mine has the "raised fence".
The large pivot pin hole receivers I guess would be SOL too [:(]
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 7:48:20 PM EDT
[#11]
If you have a raised fence and have the room the the detent hole I don't see why you couldn't put a slot in one of those pins and make your own pushpin-even on a large pin upper.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top