Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2003 9:11:58 PM EDT
Ok, I know this is a newbie question, but I need to ask it.  

How would one go about adjusting the front sight post?  Does it turn left/right or pull up/push down or what?  And also, what tool(s) are needed to accomplish this?

I plan on sighting in my new ARMS #40 this weekend and realize that in order to adjust elevation, I have to use the front sight to do it.

Thanks for the info!

Also, is it possible to sight in the new ARMS #40 using the new 50 yard IBZ?  I have my A3 carrying handle sighted in that way and would love to be able to sight the #40 in the same way.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Also, is it possible to sight in the new ARMS #40 using the new 50 yard IBZ?  I have my A3 carrying handle sighted in that way and would love to be able to sight the #40 in the same way.  Thanks!
View Quote

yes, you use the large ghost ring to sight in with instead of the small peep aperture..
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Is your rifle a Bushmaster by any chance?

If so, you'll likely need to purchase a higher front sight post.  I recently purchased an ARMS #38EX and #22M68.  After mounting the sleeve and sighting in I was dead on at 25 yards and approximately 9+ inches high at 100 yards using irons.  If you've got a Colt, according to info I've gleaned from this site, you won't have to worry about adjusting too much.    

I just received my higher front sight post and have yet to sight in but according to the gurus here I should be situated.

For adjusting the front sight I just use the tip of a round.  Some frown on this as it may leave jacket material on your post but it's the cheapest way to adjust the sight.  If you turn the front sight post counter-clockwise you will lower the point of impact.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 3:20:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the same set up. 16" flattop with #40 back up sight but it was my understanding that I was to use the small aperature using the IBSZ method. I haven't taken mine out to zero it yet. I'm not disagreeing with you klinger-04 but would like to make sure that I am to use the larger aperature to zero when I take it out.
            Thanks
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:33:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, my rifle is a RRA not a Bushmaster so I assume that the front sight post height issue isn't a problem.

But, how exactly do you adjust the front sight anyway?  (That was my main question [:)])  But the info on the IBSZ is also helpful.

Any more info on the front sight adjustment would be very helpful.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I know someone knows about how to adjust the front sight post....

Any info on this would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Use a front sight tool.  It screws in and out which = up and down.  Rear sight does side to side.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Front sight tool?  I do not believe I have one of these.  

I got both the upper and lower of the gun from Pete in NH so I did not get anything extra (like manuals, etc).

So where can I get a tool like that?  Or is there any way to adjust the front sight post without the tool?
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#8]
To adjust your front sight post you push the detent pin down that holds the front sight post in place and turn it clockwise or counterclockwise. Clockwise will raise your shot group, counterclockwise will lower your shot group. You can depress the detent with the tip of a bullet or you can get a front sight adjustment tool. I'd get the front sight tool it's so much EZer, and Bushmaster has them.

btw, Be shure to specify the A1 or A2 sight adj tool.          

556Cliff
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 6:05:08 AM EDT
[#9]
What about which aperature to use using IBSZ with #40 flip up sight? Larger or smaller?
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Large aperature, 50 yards
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 11:52:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top