Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/22/2003 7:58:13 PM EDT
I'm a proud AR15 owner! Now that I got that statement out of the way, my question is about a compairison of the M16 and the G36.

In the last year I've really come to appreaciate the AR15 rifle and even more so since I've finished my M4gery project(W/ KAC ras,Surefire M900,and Eotech).

A couple years ago the G36 hit the seen and everyone went apesh*t about this new light plastic gun from HK that used the AR18 action.  I've heard  from day one that this was the most reliable rifle in the world and was probably going to become the NATO standard.  I'm am an Hk fan and I love my USP tactical but, I would like to hear the stright dope on the G36.  Is this just a bunch of hype or is the rifle that good?
The AR15 has it's knocks most commonly the complaint about the gas system.  Well my response to that is "so what!" The U.S. is the only army that has had a 5.56mm rifle for more that 40 years and nothing is on the horizon that would justify a switch or change to another rifle/action! Now another caliber is a different story, different debate.

Now I'm hear some stories about the G36 haveing some teething problems IE: barrel trunion overheating and handguards melting.

Although I like HK products I don't believe the G36 is perfect and would like to hear from anyone about the opinions of rifles users like police, foriegn amy evalutions and reports or stories and articals about the G36's real world performances and flaw's if any.

Thanks David
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 8:14:57 PM EDT
[#1]
The M16/AR15 system has been tried and tuned, accessorized, plagiarized and used by militaries around the world to this day.

Besides, the SL8 is about as ugly as a Glock!

Link Posted: 10/22/2003 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#2]
[URL=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=172002&w=searchPop]RIF[/URL]
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 8:39:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Hello David, although not a G36 I have had some range time with the Sl8 and while my heart will always be with the AR it was a decent, accurate rifle. Accuracy with a 62 grain was 1-1 1/2 moa and the recoil was a different feel, more of a push than the AR--"Sproing" the mag configuration sucked so I opted for the ar mag conversion, and G36 SW non folding stock (great for 7 foot tall long armed bb players) all in all a decent rifle. I did not get temps to the degree of melting (I have too much respect for my throat/bore) but heated enough to see if stringing was a problem under temp, it was uneffected with 2  20 round mags of rapid fire. I am a HK fan and would like to really test a true G36, untill I can get one my faithful Rock River will be with me!
Robert
www.rbprecision.com
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#4]
you're going to get A LOT of biased replies to this thread...If you search back, you'll see many topics about the G36 and XM8...

If you want to make this interesting, go to HKpro.com and ask the same question there.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
you're going to get A LOT of biased replies to this thread...If you search back, you'll see many topics about the G36 and XM8...

If you want to make this interesting, go to HKpro.com and ask the same question there.
View Quote

The mods at HKPro will close a thread like that [:)] They [b]always[/b] get out of hand and take away from the true purpose of the site, which is to be an information resource for HK enthusiasts.

They don't have the patience for the pissing contests that those types of threads turn into. Can't say as I blame them. On the same token I'm surprised that LarryG36 is allowed to wreak as much havoc here as he does.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top