User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2003 4:20:48 PM EDT
I'm contemplating the addition of:
A) Vertical foregrip
B) Weapons light

Debating whether to add the UFIR rail to my std. CAR handguards, or grab a set of M33's. Help me make up my mind. (I can't justify the expense of RAS / RIS or SIR.)
What would you choose, and why?

Jav
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 4:36:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Jav, I, like you, wanted to add foregrip and light. I choose the M33 Saamco handgaurds. They are rugged, and they fit real tight on my particular AR-15, they absolutely do not move. I put the rubber covered graphite foregrip and the Insights M-3 light on it. I have been very happy with the setup.

Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:49:55 PM EDT
[#2]
got the M33 on mine, very happy with it
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:52:49 PM EDT
[#3]
ditto!
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#4]
for an aditional 30 bucks you can get the First Samco M44 handguards. On the M33 the top rail is a complete waste of money. They only thing anyone could use a top rail for are optics, and the M33 isn't sturdy enough to keep the zero for optics. I know that's not what you're planning to do, but I think you should know that.

Also it is A LOT nicer to have your flashlight mounted at 9 or 3 o'clock. This way, you can still hold the rifle at the handguards(not at the vertical grip) without having to take off your V-Grip.

And they also come with rubber panels that make it incredibly comfortable to hold. I used to have a set until I sold them to get an SIR. I LOVED them though and I'm sure you will to!

The M44 is well worth the (little) extra money.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I would go with the M-44 just put a set on and really like them alot
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:12:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had both the UFIR and M33 and prefer the M33 because you can put the rail cover on if you remove the grip.With the UFIR, you're stuck with a sharp edged rail.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#7]
If you can get the FSB off, for $100, you can get an Oly FIRSH.  Its got four rails (top, bottom, left, right), free-floats the barrel, and is "sturdy" enough to mount optics (I say "sturdy" because I haven't actually tested mine, just that most FIRSH owners tell me they have).  

Ghost
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#8]
LOL I've played the handguard slippery-slope game before...
I started off like you...All I wanted was a flashlight and vertical grip.

So I thought I should just get a mounting rail.

But then they told me they were crap so I should go with an M33, then eventually an M44

Then I almost traded that in for a BMAS Four Rail Handguard

However I discovered that those require a gunsmith to install.

And now I'm sitting here with a $400 S.I.R. system. (and i couldn't be happier BTW)

Do yourself a Favor Javelin: [b]RUN[/b]
And remember: The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweet taste of cheap price is forgotten.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:10:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Good post, Lockedon!
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 6:10:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks to all.

Lockedon...I hear ya....and you're right.

However,$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$400?????

My wife still loves me...prefer to keep it that way!
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 7:27:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I went with the M44's as a cheaper alternative to the expensive SIR system. Honestly though, if you can afford any of the ARMS stuff or can remove your own barrel to install the FIRSH (or similar), I'd do that instead. While I'm not unhappy with my M44 handguards, my top rail is too low to mount optics to as the scope would sit lower than the upper's flat top rail. My only real complaint with the M44's was the cheap feeling/loose rubber rail covers. I solved that with the Bushmaster BMAS rail covers though, so all is good. J
[img]http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6kf2w/PICT0004.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 7:57:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I went with the M44's as a cheaper alternative to the expensive SIR system. Honestly though, if you can afford any of the ARMS stuff or can remove your own barrel to install the FIRSH (or similar), I'd do that instead. While I'm not unhappy with my M44 handguards, my top rail is too low to mount optics to as the scope would sit lower than the upper's flat top rail. My only real complaint with the M44's was the cheap feeling/loose rubber rail covers. I solved that with the Bushmaster BMAS rail covers though, so all is good. J
[url]http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6kf2w/PICT0004.JPG[/url]
View Quote

That looks very nice with those covers. Have you seen the new CavArms full length ones?

Don't forget your saving wieght in addition to saving money.

If your weapon is for CQB (don't need FF) and you're not going to do any major combat, I'd wager the M44 or M33 is more than enough.

Of course I have to resist the urge to have a Real KAC FF RAS, because it would be so cooool!

FIRSH-at least 10.5 oz maybe not including nut I would bet it's about 14 oz (still trying to varify).
BMAS-14.15 oz
SIR 46 slim line- 16.7 oz not including nut.
M44- 9 oz including the barrel nut delta ring etc.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree Ridge, the M44 is more than enough for CQB. And although I like alot of stuff for coolness factor too, that $400 was one I (like quite a few others) I had to pass on. The M44 is perfect for lights and grips as previously stated, and it will stand up to a good beating too. I haven't seen the full length Cav Arms rail covers yet, but Bushmaster also just came out with these covers in full length. They arent on their website yet, but they were in the catalog they sent with my short rail covers. Had I known, I would have opted for 2 long rail covers and 3 short to allow 2 rail covers to be used on the bottom when I have a grip installed and the 2 large ones at 3 and 9 oclock. No big deal to me though, works perfect as is. J
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:26:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Ya the BM and Cav are probably the same ones. Sounds like they were available at the same time.  I agree, still looks good with the short ones (and you have more options).
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top