Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2003 1:03:54 PM EDT
Hi All, I have a Bushmaster 20” V-Mach and want to set it up to shoot prairie dogs (SD area). Any suggestions on what power or brand of scope to buy.  Do I need a 6.5-20X50 for a .223?

Rob
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You can go as high or as low as you want for magnification,  but for varmints you'd probably want a really fine reticle.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Rob,

It all kinda depends on how far you want to be shooting, whether or not you want to have a front row seat on the explosion, and how much money you have to spend.

I do a lot of dogging with my BM, and I have a Weaver 6.5-20 on mine.  If you plan on spending many hours behind the glass, and are on a budget, I would suggest a little less magnification, and a little better glass.  My Weaver is O.K., but not great.  9 power is not bad, unless you plan on shooting mostly over a couple of hundred yards.  I would highly recommend that you look through the glass before buying.  And I mean look at some distant objects, outside if possible, not just the corners of the shop.  If you have room, set a pop can out a few hundred yards, and then you can decide if the picture is big enough.  You will get a different opinion from everyone on glass, but one good generality is that you do get what you pay for. A poorly made scope with high magnification will leave you cross-eyed, in no time flat.

Luckily the 223 is not hard on scopes, so you do not need one built like a tank.  As a minimum, I would try to find one with coated lenses, and a decent field of few.  Like the other poster mentioned, a fine cross hair is very helpful.  I like my target knobs, for getting way out there.  

Since you did not mention a budget, it is hard to recommend any particular brand, but a little web hunting in the Varmint Circles should help a lot.

Craig
VHA Member
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top