Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2003 2:48:54 AM EDT
Can anyone tell me their experience with the D fender extraction ring? Does it help? Is it worth the $12.00?
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 3:29:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I took the advise given by others on this board and ordered some increased power extractor springs from Wolff. Now my rifles work fine and will last a long time. You can get 3 springs for the price of the o-ring, and with the spring you don't need the o-ring. Fewer parts is a good thing.

[url]www.gunsprings.com/RifleShotgun/Colt_Rs.html#AR[/url]

Shabo
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 7:50:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I ordered one to give it a try, but was also told by one of the instructors at the NRA range to just go to the hardware store, buy some little donut/o-rings that would fit around the spring, and use those, as they are DIRT CHEAP and work exactly the same.

YMMV, $0.5 or $12....
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think I paid $12 for one.  I put one on along with the Wolf spring when I changed a worn extractor.  Check Numrich Arms and see what their price is.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#4]
They work!  So do the Wolf!
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#5]
[url]www.triplebreakproducts.com[/url] sells the Olympic X-rings which do the same thing only much cheaper.They've worked real well with my AR's but now I use the Wolff springs.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with SMJayman.  I use the O rings sold at Home Depot and they work perfect for my shorty M16.  

Dan
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I dont like little rubber parts inside the operating parts of any of my firearms.

Get the Wolff XP spring.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a defender in my home gun and an Issue rubber O ring in my work gun, gotta loose that ring on the work gun LOL.

I would say go with an issue O ring if possible.  It has been heat tested while Home Depots probably has not.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 2:31:03 PM EDT
[#9]
If someone is interested in a heat resistant O ring, Viton O rings are rated to 400 degrees F and are resistant to harsh chemicals.  I thought if the Home Depot O ring melted, I would stop by the local supply house and buy the Viton.  But, I haven't had to do this yet.  Small Viton O rings are less than a dollar.  

Dan
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 3:15:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Ive never needed it in any of my AR's. Now, if I did, I'd get the Viton rings that Dan mentioned. They are chemical and heat resisitant, and have used them in my old 1966 Corvair with great results.

Link Posted: 10/22/2003 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Can anyone tell me their experience with the D fender extraction ring? Does it help? Is it worth the $12.00?[>:/]
View Quote

Band-aid used to keep a rifle running.

Bottom line is that it's better to fix the problem with the rifle, then to over power the extractor spring to mask the real problem.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Mik,

To answer your question, I have three of the D-Fenders in my AR-15's. They work fine and I have had no failure's to extract. However, none of these guns had any problems before, so I really can't tell you they made any difference.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Armalite is giving out free O-ring extractor reinforcments to everyone who asks for one.

Very good PR right there!

Shoot them an e-mail and ask for one.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 2:40:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info guys, I'll go with a Wolff, and try just that before going to the D ring.[:D]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 6:22:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Armalite is giving out free O-ring extractor reinforcments to everyone who asks for one.

View Quote

I emailed and asked for one about 3 weeks ago.Any idea how long it takes or if they still do?
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I emailed and asked for one about 3 weeks ago.Any idea how long it takes or if they still do?
View Quote

I got mine about three weeks ago after waiting about three weeks for it tocome in the mail.

I'm almost certian they are still doing it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top