Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2003 6:32:30 PM EDT
Well gents, how many is enough?

I have owned over 16.  What is a good number to have?

What are your opinions?

Thanks
Max
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think there is any such thing as "enough" when it comes to an enjoyable hobby. Currently I own three ARs, but I'm about to buy four stripped lowers and parts kits to stash away for the sunset next year. After the sunset I intend to build them with six position collapsibles and A2 hiders.

The most ARs that I have ever owned at one time was six.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#2]
One for all pratical purposes. It be mighty hard to fight a tyrranical govt lugging around 10 ARs.

CRC
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#3]
It be mighty hard to fight a tyrranical govt lugging around 10 ARs.

CRC
View Quote

Yup...
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Just one more...
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#5]
i only have 1, but i have plans for a super lightweight, a 20" counter-sniper setup, and a tricked out one with 15lbs. of 'crap' hanging off of it [:D]
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Got 3 1/2 now.. More coming, thats for sure!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Only have 3 AR pattern weapons right now.  Two are preban Colts setup as carbines and one is a postban Bushy lower with a Colt 20" A2 upper gov profile barrel.  I too am planning on picking up about 3 more stripped lowers in the near future.

The real question is how many mags is enough?  I think I could forever keep buying preban mags without feeling like I was overdoing it.  If my non-shooting family and friends only knew how many mags I had they'd think I was nuts.

Josh
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#8]
SBR
M4
SPR

Thats 3.  Thats all you could need for any occasion.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 7:53:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Realistically, I think these are all you need -

11.5" Commando
14.5" M4
16" Recon M4 [:D]
18" SPR
20" A2
20" A4

But of course, you can always get more...[whacko]
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:11:40 PM EDT
[#10]
As of today I have [b]4[/b], all BM. Will get more as time goes by...
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:16:40 PM EDT
[#11]
2.........and those being registered SBR lowers, prefereably pre 86'[:D]

Then fill your garage with uppers!
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
One for all pratical purposes. It be mighty hard to fight a tyrranical govt lugging around 10 ARs.

CRC
View Quote

Unfortunately for me whenever something bad happens half the world shows up at my door. During the New England ice storm a few years ago at one point I had over 40 friends, relatives, and neighbors in my home. This was because I was the [b]only[/b] one in the neighborhood who had heat, hot water, electricity, and the foresight to plan ahead for this type of problem.

While this doesn't relate directly to a SHTF mutant alien ninja turtle invasion, if something really bad ever happened it would be nice to have enough weapons to pass out to the horde of friends and family that would inevitably show up at my door.

After the ice storm my wife and I were more than a little ticked that so many people used our home as their personal cul-de-sac Red Cross shelter. It was pretty unnerving to have so many people in our home-some of them were neighbors that I barely knew at the time.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:46:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Enough?? what is this word you keep saying ???? Enough.... i dont understand?
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 11:40:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I've owned 3 ARs.
Bushy Tricked out M4A3
RRA M4A3 Entry Tactical
Bushy 20" XM15E2S Gov't profile(sold)

Working on another RRA M4A3 Entry Tactical[:D]

After that an SPR clone and a replacement for the 20" I regret I sold!
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 12:48:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Too much is just right.

But then you all already knew that.

J
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 1:22:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Thats the truth everybody thinks your "Nuts, overboard, Got nothing better to do" until something happens. Then everyone wants to run to your place. A few people said that ( I think as a half-ass joke) to me on 9-11-01. I said nope I have only enough for me.

But to answer your question you can never have enough AR`s or firearms or ammo. Or in my case lightbulbs, cause one just went as I typed this!
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 3:34:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I have two, a Dissipator and a pre-ban Colt Sporter II.  I can't imagine owning too many of one type of weapon.  I like the AR, but hell... I'm not running a shop or a museum.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 4:04:47 AM EDT
[#18]
HOW MANY ARs???

That lies 100% on YOU.

Are you the Minimalist?

If so you can get by nicely on ONE. The rifle is modular, allowing you to make anything you can think of with a single lower receiver, from a 7.5" SBR to a 24" plinker; from 22lr to .50 Beowulf. If you don't mind swapping out Uppers & buttstocks all you need is one lower, hence one AR 15 & you can have whatever you want.

Tactical Practical?

Own a convenient store in LA? Sucks to be you!!! But if you believe in home defense or extended security you may want to consider more than one, and fewer than 10. This allows for a rifle for you and all "shooters" that would be defending your home/business from looters in a riot situation or any other terrible ocurance that hopefully would never happen. If you have a good friend and an assertive girlfriend then 3 (min.) would be a number to shoot for. Have a big family? maybe 8 or more.

Lazy and lusting?

You want an AR in configuration X,Y, & Z, but you don't want to fool with a buttstock wrench. Plus the extras come in handy in a SHTF situation. you buy or build up the complete rifles in the configuration(s) you desire. If you were to lust after an AR in every caliber that would be at least 10 ARs right there. If you wanted a couple calibers with a couple different upper lengths you could make 24 easily without having to strain your brain for creativity.

Collector?

The wonderful thing about being a collector is that you have a relic that commands awe and respect for the rich heritage of ARs/M16s. The shitty thing is that every/any bullet fired destroys its collector's value, which contradicts the title. Therefore many collectors have "safe queens" and "shooters". Now you have to ask how many ARs is enough to complete my collection and how many is enough to round out my shooting needs? that could range from 3 to 300

The answer then is ONE rifle minimum + whatever additional desires or purposes you may have in mind.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:07:58 AM EDT
[#19]
i only have 14, so i have no idea how many is enough, i also have 1,000 rnds. of ammo for each, in that bunch i have 4 NIB collectibles......!!!

ALL COLTS !!!!!!!!!!!!

except for a Bushy that stands next to my bed side with a 30 rnd. mag inserted..., COCKED & LOCKED !!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:12:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
i only have 14, so i have no idea how many is enough, i also have 1,000 rnds. of ammo for each, in that bunch i have 4 NIB collectibles......!!!

ALL COLTS !!!!!!!!!!!!

except for a Bushy that stands next to my bed side with a 30 rnd. mag inserted..., COCKED & LOCKED !!!!!!
View Quote

[b]Pics![/b] I want pics dammit [:D]
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:40:48 AM EDT
[#21]
ive only got one for now.  its a rra middy a4 upper on a E/A lower w/ an ACE stock.

i originally  thought id just buy one lower and half a dozen uppers but i dont think i could stand having a bunch of AR "halves" sitting around.

my next will be a varmit AR, thought about trading my upper for one but i dont know. anyway after the varmit, id like to get a pistol caliber AR. and of corse id like an AR10.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:22:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have owned over 16.  What is a good number to have?

*snip*
Max
View Quote

Hmm.. 'owned' as in use to own? How many do you have today, like all at once.. :)

I'm in the over a dozen category, and I've never sold a single one yet..  [;)]

Most of mine are preban colts that don't get shot. I have a few colt shooters, 2 or 3 I think, and 4 postban bushmasters I shoot.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#23]
[b]Three AR15 max, [red]all the rest should be M16s![/b][/red]

The three AR15s are:

Fixed Stock with a nice "match trigger" for scoped HBAR, A2 HBAR for high power and A2 profile flattop with ACOG for plinking ;-)

Fixed Stock with standard trigger for field use with A2 profile A2 and A3 uppers.

Carbine stock for flat top carbine with Aimpoint and ARMS #40.

But then you have no extras ... guess one needs a half dozen, plus the AR10s [;)]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:00:29 PM EDT
[#24]
When i get enough i will know [curently own 12] but a better question is how many before your wife thinks your nuts?
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:07:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Right now, I'm at eight, but have been up to eleven.  It's really up to you, but for all practical purposes, three or four (rifle, carbine, pistol caliber and .22LR) would be my short list.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:08:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, I guess your guys are right.  I buy and collect.  It is my hobby and joy.  I enjoy shooting but I have aquired a taste for Colt's now.  The Postban 6700 has peaked my interest into a preban Colt Govt Model.

I have friends that shoot with me and it is cool to have them come out and shoot a rifle.  They also clean it after they are done.

Doing this, I got several of my buddies into shooting.  All of them own an AR that I either sold them or pointed them into the right direction.  

Buster thankfully I am not married but my girlfriend does not like the idea that I have firearms.

Max

[marines]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll be happy and have 'enough' once I build my second AR. My 16" that I currently have will be my go to rifle and CQB. My next build will be a 24" Varmint style with FF barrel/handguard, match trigger and a decent magnified scope (no BUIS) for any long range stuff. Now just to decide what caliber it should be. Maybe I'll build 2 more - 1 in 5.56 and 1 in .50, or maybe .308...........
J
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#28]
I haven't figured out how many I [b]want[/b] but I know it will far exceed how many I [b]need[/b]!

I have 4 right now with 3 more stripped lowers patiently waiting for future projects.  I'm  planning on buying a complete Armalite sometime soon too so for me it never seems to end.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 1:47:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Sell that stuff and muy an m16, obviously you can afford it...

Link Posted: 10/23/2003 2:09:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Mad
 That is a great idea.  I never thought of that......

Max
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Buster thankfully I am not married but my girlfriend does not like the idea that I have firearms.
View Quote

My wife didn't like guns either when we first started dating. A few trips to the range got her hooked and she hasn't looked back since.

If my wife hadn't changed her mind that would have been a dealbreaker. Someone who lacks an open mind isn't worth my time.

Fortunately she saw the light and we've been married since 1995 [:)]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Realistically, I think these are all you need -

11.5" Commando
14.5" M4
16" Recon M4 [:D]
18" SPR
20" A2
20" A4

But of course, you can always get more...[whacko]
View Quote

Aw c'mon don't forget the cute little 7.5" Kitty-kat

[img]http://www.cmmginc.com/cmmg_images/tbl_images/uppers_images/Kitty_Kat_A2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#33]
2 lower receiver, many spare parts for lower receivers such as trigger, hammer, firing pin that you can get while they're cheap, 4 kits for the top receiver of which 1 is for m4, 1 for m16, 1 for those funk match rifle, and 1 in green color, and as many barrel as you can afford.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top