Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2003 10:23:19 AM EDT
I am going to spend a few days/nights in the woods and I need an easy way to keep garbage out of the barrel.  I thought about some kind of tape but will that change my POI or cause pressure problems?  

I know someone here has a good trick for this one.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#1]
[size=6]CONDOMS!![/size=6]
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Someone makes a shoot off muzzle cap made out of plastic.  Maybe check Bushmaster's website? I can't remember where I saw it.

However, since Vietnam, the military has used condoms (as d-t) mentioned.  Just roll the condom down and then secure with a rubber band.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#3]
[url]http://www.impactguns.com/store/product759.html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 10:44:21 AM EDT
[#4]
There are plastic caps, that are made for covering up fittings and other things.  Measure the muzzle or muzzle device and order them up, I forget who sells them, but it is like a industrial thing, and push it over the end, it should be a tight fit.  Tape would also work.  So would the condoms.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 10:46:22 AM EDT
[#5]
wow, if Freud read this he'd be tossing in his grave...Condoms over your gun....wayyy to hide that you're trying to compensate for something![;)]

Link Posted: 10/21/2003 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Actually.....

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
-- Sigmund Freud, A General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

Stainless
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a pair of black plastic muzzle protector from BM which fits snug over a FH, yet the plastic is very light.  I haven't tried to shoot it off yet. :)
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Actually.....

Stainless
View Quote

So in other words, people who acctually use their saftey don't get laid?
hehehe j/k[;)]
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 11:19:17 AM EDT
[#9]
die-tryin' - condoms are a good idea, but I don't think I can grab my condoms and tell my wife, "I'm going hunting and you won't see me for 3 days."   Well, I guess I could do it ONCE...  
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I've found balloons work good.  You can even get those camo "grenade balloons". [:)]

Sure beats trying to get all that lube off your barrel from the condoms! [;)]
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 11:33:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Actually.....

Stainless
View Quote

HEY STAINLESS,
Can you document your source? I'm not trying to call you out, but if I ever used that someone would certainly try to call me on it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Go to your local air conditioning repair shop and get some valve end cap covers. You can get them in different colors/sizes. Only cost a dollar or two for 100 count. Good for using on different rifles.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Buy latex "finger cots", found near the band-aids in most drugstores, Walmarts and such. They're what folks in food service industries use on finger cuts. Look like little condoms, but fit much better.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 2:17:20 PM EDT
[#14]
pulpsmack-
  i mean this in the most non-offensive way possible...  i did.
  "A General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"  is the title of the book Freud wrote, which contains this quote. [:)]  it was originally published in 1920.
  i would have put the title in italics, to be more correct, but i don't know how.

Stainless
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 4:31:49 PM EDT
[#15]
If I remember correctly when we got a brand new M4 (in the ARMY) they came with a little black cap. If so a Colt whore might now where to round one up. If Im wrong (they didn't come with it) there should be a gearqueer around here that knows what I'm talking about and have a source. I really wish I had grabbed one now we had bags of them that never got used.

FREEFALL, can you go ask an Armorer if they came with the M4's. If they don't can you ask a 92Y if he can find a NSN. If a 92Y doesn't know and you even care to find out MSG Arnold with the I.G. (if he's still around) knows damn near everything.

Glockdog

Airborne!!
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 4:45:36 PM EDT
[#16]
When I was in Germany, I had one of those black caps. The captain kept telling us to take them off becuase they held in the moisture.

who knows... never had rust/crud in barrel after 3 weeks in field.
cb
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 4:50:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am going to spend a few days/nights in the woods and I need an easy way to keep garbage out of the barrel.  I thought about some kind of tape but will that change my POI or cause pressure problems?  

View Quote

Service rifle match shooters have some neat accessories to protect not only the muzzle, but their all important rear and front sights also. These neoprene rubber covers are reusable. (They come in black and yellow, although the pics in the catalog show yellow for both).  I never leave home without 'em.
[url]http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=14-250&type=store[/url]

[img]http://www.sinclairintl.com/images/gold/full/14-2.jpg[/img]

Their description:
Sinclair protective Sight Covers and Muzzle Guards will give your valuable AR-15 the protection it needs.These durable vinyl covers will protect your front and rear sights from being moved or damaged.The muzzle guard will keep dirt out of your barrel and help prevent damage to your barrel crown.Competition shooters especially will want these covers to protect their valuable "zero"settings.The covers come in bright safety yellow for high visibility or matte black.Sinclair Sight Covers and Muzzle Guards fit snugly so they won ’t fall off.Each set of sight covers and muzzle guards includes a front sight cover,a rear sight cover,and two muzzle guards designed to fit AR-15 ’s with a flash suppressor or without.These covers will fit AR-15 ’s or clones of almost all manufacturers.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Now, for years I've used a peice of duck tape to cover the muzzle and have shot through it with no change in POI or any bad effect. Now these are large caliber rifles so not sure of the effect of it on an AR.

Ron
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Buy latex "finger cots", found near the band-aids in most drugstores, Walmarts and such. They're what folks in food service industries use on finger cuts. Look like little condoms, but fit much better.
View Quote

That's what I use (on my rifle that is [:D]). I got mine at Walgreens for $2.99 per 100.

Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:34:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Look around in the funstore in the black powder section. Traditions make a black latex muzzle cover(condom)for muzzleloaders. Works great and can shoot thru them. They are a little heavier than a regular condom.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
....... Look like little condoms, but fit much better.
View Quote

Now that statement could generate some humorous replies!! Sorry treeprof I couldn't restist.

Shabo
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Golly, try and be helpful and someone has to go and insult the Commodore.

To clarify: fits a plain bbl better.

Back to serial lurking ...
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#23]
The muzzle caps I bought from Bushmaster were about 2" long, black plastic, with a rim around the base, like a big, plastic .80 caliber revolver cartridge case.  I can't find them on the website anymore. :(
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dude, as long as you don't stick your barrel into the mud, you will be fine. You don't need a barrel cap.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 6:30:33 AM EDT
[#25]
When I'm hunting in shitty conditions, I usually put a piece of electrical tape over the muzzle.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 6:45:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the responses.  I knew a guy ( a kid of 14, really) who stuck his shotgun's barrel in the mud & didn't know it..... the guy virtually "blew up" he almost lost his right eye in the accident/negligence.  

It's just another thing I try to be conscious of in the field.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 11:31:49 AM EDT
[#27]
I have seen, at gun shows, cammy condoms that were surplus from Viet Nam. Many jokes were made over these. However, since I saw these I have not seen any more. I like the cammy water ballon idea best. Cheap and you can shoot through them.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Take a 4" block of styrofoam and a paddle drill bit, can quickly make a cover. Then wrap some od duct tape around it or paint it. Can shoot through it without any problem.

rk
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Try a wine cork or a condom.

With the wine cork, you need the wine out of the bottle, and the cork in your rifle muzzle. you can also shoot the bottle after.

With the condom, you need a pack. Every time one breaks, replace it, and make sure you don't fire with it on the muzzle. Also, with the pack, you can gitsome later on...[:D]
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Finger condoms, get at local drug store, used to keep a cut finger dry.

Piece of masking tape, light enough to cause no concern of "overblocking" and possibly bulging the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thanks for the responses.  I knew a guy ( a kid of 14, really) who stuck his shotgun's barrel in the mud & didn't know it..... the guy virtually "blew up" he almost lost his right eye in the accident/negligence.  

It's just another thing I try to be conscious of in the field.
View Quote

We had a guy in our hunting group accidently get some water that later froze near his tip of muzzle - puled trigger missed deer and bulged barrel. He was lucky lost 2" of barrel NO damage to him.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 10:28:32 PM EDT
[#32]
@pulpsmack:

Freud associates retarded sexual
and emotional development not with gun ownership, but with fear and
loathing of guns. (S. Freud & D. Oppenheim, DREAMS IN FOLKLORE (1958) at 33.)

Regards

Cato
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 12:20:46 AM EDT
[#33]
So Sen. Feinstein is sexually frustrated???
and/or emotional retarded???

That explains why anti-gunners always have this whinney voice about them...
wah wa wah wa wah waaaaa...

Next time you get in an argument with an anti-gunner respond to them by saying "So why do you hate your father???"
"Obviously, you were not breast fed!"
"You should masterbate more often, it might help with your psychosis..."

[sniper2]
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 6:49:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Black plastic caps, or 100mph tape.
Pressure/over pressure is no good, so if your worried put a small, pin, nail hole in the end, that will allow pressure out and will allow some drainage should moisture build up, but will be too small for solid earth/dirt/mud to enter.  If worried about moisture building up, get a rod/otis and every am run a patch down.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top