Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2003 6:06:12 PM EDT
I’ve shot my new AR a couple times now and I notice that the Buffer Assembly is being scratched by the Buffer Retainer.  
Is this normal wear or did I assemble something wrong?  If it is assembled properly it seams that the Buffer Retainer gets the crap smacked out of it every shot.  How often do you need to replace them or the buffer?
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#1]
The buffer assembly is being scratched by the bolt everytime the bolt is cycled rearward due to the semi-auto method of fire. It is not being caused by the buffer retainer. This is normal for an AR.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:48:19 PM EDT
[#2]
[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=169020&w=searchPop]Read[/url]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:52:29 PM EDT
[#3]
It depends on what you mean by scratches and where they are located on the face of the buffer.

Are the scratches along the extreme outer edge of the buffer face, and are they the same length as the buffer retainer pin?

Or are the scratches more circular and do they match up with the carrier?

When the upper receiver is closed the buffer should not touch the buffer retainer.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Are the scratches along the extreme outer edge of the buffer face, and are they the same length as the buffer retainer pin?
View Quote

Yes

Or are the scratches more circular and do they match up with the carrier?
View Quote

No

When the upper receiver is closed the buffer should not touch the buffer retainer.
View Quote

How can you confirm this?
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#5]
VA-Gunnut found the thread I was looking for. Tweak explained the procedure to check. Basically you should be able to see or hear the buffer spring compress slightly when you close the upper receiver. If it doesn't then you have a problem.

Personally I've been fortunate, none of my ARs except for my old Bushy XM15 have ever had a problem with the buffer bashing against the detent pin.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I've included some crappy photo's to help diagnose the problem.  
[img]www.customsoundco.com/images/eBay/Buffer-Tube-Scratches-Receiver.jpg[/img]
The buffer should engage the retainer when the bolt is not pushing it back- correct?

[img]www.customsoundco.com/images/eBay/Buffer-Tube-Scratches.jpg[/img]
The damage is to the edges of the buffer.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Read the thread VA-gunnut posted.I had the same problem only more severe.File the areas of the bolt that are arrowed in the picture and it will solve your problem.You've probably got burrs on the end of the bolt that touches the buffer.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top