Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/20/2003 1:30:57 PM EDT
I swipe my disassembled bolt down with CLP Breakfree. However, I think an easier way to do it would be to just dunk the whole bolt and parts into a bin of Hoppes. Some of that powder gets caked on the metal pretty good.

So, how do you clean? And do you any of you clean the gas tube or gas block at the top of the barrel?

Link Posted: 10/20/2003 1:44:59 PM EDT
[#1]
CLP on the innards, Butch's Bore Shine in the barrel.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#2]
i just started using brake cleaner on mine. i scrub it down with a tooth brush with clp on it then spray with brake cleaner. then when i get done i wipe it down with clp.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#3]
This should help, very easy to follow:
http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/clean.msnw
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
And do you any of you clean the gas tube or gas block at the top of the barrel?
View Quote

About once a year I run one of those really long pipe cleaners down the gas tube until it hits the front sight post. There is little or nothing in the gas tube. One bit of advice, the gas tube is designed to run completly dry. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, us break free or oil on the inside of the gas tube. If you must clean it, use brake cleaner because it drys with no residue.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Breakfree on the inside. Sometimes I apply a very thin coating of moly-lithium grease on the wear parts. I used Hoppes exclusively for 20 years until I bought my first AR and realized it's a great cleaner but not the best lubricant. I use a steel rod in the barrel as opposed to aluminum (I've found aluminum rods can become impregnated with debris because of it's softness). Just my .02 cents.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 12:00:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Disassemble bolt/carrier group. Submerge small parts including bolt in an old Hoppe’s jar with Hoppe’s No. 9 and the carrier in a PVC tube with Hoppe’s.

Scrub the chamber/bore first with a liberal dousing of Hoppe’s and a brush. From time to time I’ll also use Shooters Choice copper solvent (isn’t required every time). Once it is scrubbed out good I’ll dry with patches, and last patch will have some CLP on it.

Suppressed weapons defiantly get dirtier than others and the FCG should be cleaned more often.

About once a year I’ll remove the FCG and scrub good. This is the only time I really hate those Colt sear blocks.

The hardest place for me to clean is defiantly in the barrel extension, in front of the lugs and behind the chamber. I wish they made a frothy Hoppe’s for this.

After it’s all cleaned I’ll spray the bolt/carrier group down with some CLP and reassemble.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:31:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Hot shower then a good oil coat, wipe it down.

[:)]
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 7:39:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I use some Rusty Duck down the barrel followed by patches with CLP, and then dry patches until they come out clean.  CLP and scrubbing on the B/BC followed by a wipedown with a rag and some Q-tips.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Butch's Bore Shine for barrel: bolt and carrier get dunked separately into an ultrasonic cleaner using diluted Simple Green for an hour or so till all the carbon is gone.  Works great, needs very little scrubbing. The really hard carbon in suppressors doesn't get cleaned in an ultrasonic, but AR carbon is relatively soft.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 8:03:56 AM EDT
[#10]
As rarely as possible.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As rarely as possible.
View Quote

I bet my rarely is less often than yours! [;)]

On one, I went 1800 rounds till I felt bad. Not a hiccup. I [b]know[/b] that bitch will stand the fire. The next one is up to around 600ish, she wil see at least 2K before I feel any sympathy.

We did the all night fire in basic, to 'learn the weak point and time before failure'. I liked the concept I adopted personally. My CCW and my AR are 2 different things.

I wish I could bring myself to do that to my FAL. I cant.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Depends, does squirting C(cleaner)LP into it count as cleaning?
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 12:25:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Hoopes is outdated garbage and it burns brain cells.  No reason to use it.  

Quoted:
I swipe my disassembled bolt down with CLP Breakfree. However, I think an easier way to do it would be to just dunk the whole bolt and parts into a bin of Hoppes. Some of that powder gets caked on the metal pretty good.

So, how do you clean? And do you any of you clean the gas tube or gas block at the top of the barrel?

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 12:34:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Putting even a worn bore brush in the gas tube is stupid.  Is that what the Army teaches?

Quoted:
This should help, very easy to follow:
http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/clean.msnw
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I stick a garden hose in my upper and shoot water down my barrel, and i put my lower in my dishwasher.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Putting even a worn bore brush in the gas tube is stupid.  Is that what the Army teaches
View Quote

Sam teaches the use of a worn bore brush tp clean the inside of the bolt carrier key. Nothing goes in the gas tube.

EX11B,

I didn't know Glock made ARs. I'll have to pick one up. [;D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top