Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2003 11:57:25 AM EDT
I have an XM177 from Model 1 that throws the empty cases forward. My varminter, M4 and standard all throw the empties behind the shooter. All are from Model 1. The varminter I sighted in on Sat and really shoots nice less than 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards.

Thanks for the help!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one rifle that does this. It is actually the rifle I shoot most. I tired to change it by getting a extra power extracror, but it still throws forward. I tell you what, I've been shooting this rifle about 4 years now, I'd gueestimate about 18,000 rounds through it, and I have never had a problem. So I stopped worrying about it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#2]
My Oly Shortie throws them straight sideways, an my BM 20" throws them forward slightly. The short gun has an M4 extractor spring and the 20" the factory one. Both shoot fine so I really havent paid it much concern. I like to pick up an empty from time to time to look at primers, so its kinda nice that they both put them in little piles when they hit the ground insread of throwing them all over the place like my Bros. AK... John
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine used to throw the brass WAY (I'm talkin' "next zip code over") behind, and to the left. I cut a little off the ejector spring so that it WOULD throw it to the right front.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 7:31:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Mine used to throw the brass WAY (I'm talkin' "next zip code over") behind, and to the left. I cut a little off the ejector spring so that it WOULD throw it to the right front.
View Quote

Behind and to the left of the shooter?  across your body?
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 9:52:34 AM EDT
[#5]
So if the ejector spring tension is changed it will change where and how far the empty brass gets tossed--- Makes sense!!

My standard 16 in carbine leaves a small mark on the upper where the brass hits it. So if I change springs I can make it stop doing that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

It might have been a lefthanded rifle.

HUNTER.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#7]
My new DPMS 16" M4 throws them all over. Straight out, Foward, Rear.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

It might have been a lefthanded rifle.

HUNTER.
View Quote

Or a Michael Jordan Limited Edition Rifle.

"Off the bench, over the spotting scope, rebounding off the RO's hat...nothing but net."
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:13:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Hahaha, you guys are hilarious. Nothing but net! For the record, I hate cutting springs...
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I have an XM177E2 clone that, without a d-fender (well, a couple RC car shock o-rings) won't even extract the case.

With the o-rings (or d-fender; made of the same material), it extracts and ejects almost straight back. Literally, if you stand at 5 o'clock behind me, you'll get pelted. Extraction and ejection is positive and vigorous, but still....it probably shouldn't be doing that.

I'd like to get something slightly back, or perhaps straight out....even slighly forward would be ok. I may actually break down and buy a d-fender, but......

I should try a Wolff spring first, I guess, and see where it goes from there.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Repeatability is the key. If your rifle is dropping cases into a hat placed on the ground, you are doing great. [:)]

All my lovingly built AR's leave neat little piles of brass slightly behind me and just a couple feet over.

Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:04:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Are you guys referring to the direction the brass flies out of the gun or the direction it goes after bouncing of the brass deflector? is it possible for them not to hit the brass deflector?

Digital
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 5:42:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Mine, being an XM177 clone, has no brass deflector.

It barely misses the forward assist...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top