Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/19/2003 7:06:07 PM EDT
I have a Preban colt match target all original and have not been satisfied with the accuracy of it. I am thinking about getting a dedicated target upper so I can at least put all of the holes in the 10 ring. I would like to stick with a lower twist rate to take advantage of the 4,000 62 grain bullets I have. What are your suggestions and why, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 9:50:15 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of accuracy are you looking for? Both of my preban Colt HBARs are sub MOA when I run them scoped with a bipod.

-What specific kind of ammo are you using?

-Scoped or iron sights?

-Stock trigger?

Obviously it's your rifle and you can do whatever you want, but rather than throwing money into new parts you might want to try optimizing what you already have. There is no reason why a stock Colt (or any quality AR for that matter) can't shoot at least close to MOA when set up properly.

Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:06:21 PM EDT
[#2]
alfajim,

I am lovin my M4gery setup w/ a 16" KRIEGER barrel (chrome-moly 1-9).  I have been shooting a lot of black hills 60 gr moly loads and all the holes touch @100 yds, and that's using only my AIMPOINT Comp ML 2 (2MOA dot.  Downside is that it is a little heavier than your average carbine/M4 barrel.  Been posting these pics a lot here lately, hope nobody minds too awfully bad.  Good luck

older pic
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid80/pa3ef82f0462e75ca137dc37df7c69a68/fb096801.jpg[/img]

newer pic
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/p372a4f10aebb2dc27ba2565bbe5092e6/fafb1203.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:15:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 3x9 tasco delta with the integeral weaver mount with a leatherwood, I also have the cheekrest. I have shot several types of ammo, at this point I am reloading using 62 grain IMI match bullets lakecity brass loaded with 62 grains of WCC844 (BLC-2) and winchester primers. I would like to see sub MOA for everything going down range not just some or most.The trigger is stock and does need some work.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 11:12:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a 3x9 tasco delta with the integeral weaver mount with a leatherwood, I also have the cheekrest. I have shot several types of ammo, at this point I am reloading using 62 grain IMI match bullets lakecity brass loaded with 62 grains of WCC844 (BLC-2) and winchester primers. I would like to see sub MOA for everything going down range not just some or most.The trigger is stock and does need some work.
View Quote

Your rifle sounds a lot like one of mine except that I use a different scope:

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/Hbar_m4.jpg[/img]

-Have you tried using a good solvent to clean all of the crud out of your barrel?

-While holding onto the carry handle and front sight base check if your barrel is loose by seeing if it twists slightly in the upper.

These are the only two things that have hurt accuracy for me in the past. The loose barrel happened on my old DPMS though, not a Colt.

Are you using a decent rest or bipod?

Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:21:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a Preban colt match target all original and have not been satisfied with the accuracy of it. I am thinking about getting a dedicated target upper so I can at least put all of the holes in the 10 ring. I would like to stick with a lower twist rate to take advantage of the 4,000 62 grain bullets I have. What are your suggestions and why, thanks.
View Quote

For a factory upper my vote goes to the Oly SUM.1x10, broach cut 4 groove. I have shot .38MOA off of bipod and elbows. That thing rocks! My best loads have been LC brass, Fed 205 primer, 27gr H335, all pushing a 40gr Vmax moly.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 7:04:00 AM EDT
[#6]
The Rock River Arms CMP National Match upper would be a good low cost choice.

The barrel is a an upgrade from rack grade and very heavy, the hand guards are free floating and the sights are up graded.  Accuracy should be good with 62 grain ammo.

ADCO is a good dealer for these.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree with Troy with on exception. A SS target barrel will keeo any good commercial or military ammo in the 200 yard '10' ring. I've shot XM193, Q3131A, GP90, Hirt, and S&B SS-109 through my SS 1\8 Douglass barrel with good results.

As to the twist rate, get the tighest one you can find. Most commercial AR barrels are going to be 1\9. This will stabilize up 75 gr rounds, and may or may not work with 77 gr rounds. 1\8 will stabilize anything you can fit in the magazine. There is no such thing as too much twist unless you are going to use bullets lighter than 50 gr. Varment rounds have thin jackets and can sometimes shed the jacket becuse of too much twist, but any commercial or military ammo will not have that problem.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info guys, I ordered some 69 grain SMK's and will see how they work. If I get the results I am looking for then I can have some fun and get a shorty upper.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Alafjim,
My Oly PCR-16 will put my handloads into 1/2 inch at 100 yds- and these are Sierra 69gr Matchkings over Varget.  If you want a hole-puncher, it's a good one.  
Nimbus
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top