Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/19/2003 12:15:47 AM EDT
Just curious - have been searching for any info on the "Stinger" AR-15s and other models they offer, but have been unsuccessful. Are they any good? They make a lot of claims - such as they make a rifle tight enough not to need Accuwedges, and their recievers are milled from forged aluminum. I am not really planning on buying one - just wanna know! They are at www.blackwidowweapons.com/index.html
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 1:40:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of them but from their spec page:

-They use 4140 steel in their barrels instead of 4150

-No chrome lining in their barrels

-Using the following ammunition voids the warranty:

Wolf
SSI
PMC (foriegn made)
Winchester (imported)
Remington (UMC brand)
Olympic (Greek made)
Brother-in-laws new Hot-Loads.

-Countless typos and grammatical errors on the website (looks like the site was coded in someones basement).

-The contact e-mail address is a free MSN account which further perpetuates the basement theory.

-You can buy a Rock River completed upper and lower for about $75.00 less than they want for theirs.

Aside from that just like a Colt, Bushy, or RRA [:D]

Edit: Looks like a [b]real[/b] solid outfit. They forged their DNS info:

Registrant:
Widow, Black (TCUEJHTOKD)
  810 Florida
  LONGVIEW, WA 98632
  US

Domain Name: BLACKWIDOWWEAPONS.COM

Administrative Contact:
     Widow, Black  (35367833P)  [email protected]
     810 Florida
     LONGVIEW, WA 98632
     US
     (360) 636-2953
  Technical Contact:
     WinSave  (VWBIFHKDFO)  [email protected]
     101 Continental Blvd
     El Segundo, CA 90245
     US
     310-524-3131 fax: 310-388-1335

Not to mention they've only had that domain for less than six months.

Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:12:03 AM EDT
[#2]
But they finance![;D]

This page should be good for some discussion:
[url]http://www.blackwidowweapons.com/informationpage.html[/url][flame]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:14:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I checked out the website and I wouldn't take the chance. They wanted $750 for there 20" standard rifle. You can get a Colt for $75-$100 more or a Bushmaster for about the same price.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone for the input! Yeah, it sure does look a little fishy - should have fired up the ol' Sam Spade myself - never thought of that........
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 6:42:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll stick with Armalite and DPMS
I know they will be around in a month or two
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 9:34:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I never heard anybody say PMC or Winchester ammo would void a warranty...Wolf, ok but Winchester?

That can't be good.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 11:28:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Financing option sounds interesting.  Also like how they will pay the transfer fee on a complete rifle for you.  Still can't see myself paying $259 + $15 shipping + transfer fee  for a Stinger lower though.  They were $200 shipped a while back in equipment exchange.

They have a lot of spelling errors on their site too, and they don't really describe where they get the parts and what really makes them special except that they find a lower and upper that doesn't wobble.  I'm going to e-mail them for clarification.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Run ......quickly

.......Paul
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Aww Man, I can't use brother in laws "hot loads".  Sonofabitch
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I never heard anybody say PMC or Winchester ammo would void a warranty...Wolf, ok but Winchester?

That can't be good.
View Quote

I can see PMC.  I've had the worst luck with PMC in the past...Wolf has performed better than that crap.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Actually, what got me started on this was this ad on GA [url]http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976381181.htm[/url]
"Stinger Arms lower receiver with fixed CAR stock. Stinger Arms are becoming known as The best receivers on the market. Exceptional quality at the best price" $204 for this baby!
Then I found their site and all their claims, which have been previously discussed. We just need someone who has actually bought one to post! I humbly decline to volunteer..........
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#14]
The Stinger and Mega receivers are great. My friend bought a Stinger lower for his ar15 build and it looks great. Hes never had any problems whatsoever.

I've never heard of Black Widow Weapons before. I'd just get a Bushmaster. [:)]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:42:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Hmm, I looked at the pictures more closely.  They look like Olympic barrels, Miculek compensator and Wilson brakes, DPMS gas blocks, and Olympic FIRSH guards.  They want 5 bucks for a single rubber cover for the FIRSH.  Olympic sells them direct for 3 a piece or 35 for a dozen.  These guys want 50 bucks for a dozen.  Ouch, charging more than retail from the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#16]
[i] The following items are specifically excluded from coverage under this warranty.
1. Normal wear of the protective finish on complete rifles or parts.
2. Damage or malfunction due to negligence, misuse, accidental or intended.
3. Damage or malfunction caused by unauthorised repair or [b]altercation.[/b]
4. Damage or malfunction from barrel obstructions.
5. Damage or malfunction due to the use of ammunition other than new U.S made factory SAAMI spec. brass cased production ammunition.
[/i]

Sooo, getting into an unauthorised fight with one of their weapons voids the warranty?  I wouldn't trust these guys any further than I could shoot'em.  And for that task I'll stick with my mass produced, inaccurate because it's chrome lined Bushmaster.  OH, and by the way, my brother-in-law happens to make a really mean reload!

[}:D]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 9:57:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I inquired about Black Widow and had several emails back and forth. I think have them all in case someone wants to compare notes off the board. I tried and tried to give this guy the benefit of the doubt. With a couple of phone calls it was easy to find out that their were several holes in what information he would give out that nobody could fill. Obviosly I don't and won't be getting anything from him. Although I did get one thing out of this whole exchange of words. Lots of Hot Air....

IMHO I think someone is trying to cash in on the fact that Stingers are gaining a great reputation through other dealers efforts to promote the new company on the block making lowers. Go with Carrico'z if you want a Stinger...

Cheers

Link Posted: 10/20/2003 7:24:04 AM EDT
[#19]
From the site
"Our production barrels have achieved anywhere from 1/8" to 1-1/2 M.O.A. Obviously, we would hope that every production barrel would shoot 1/2 M.O.A. [however] we cannot guarantee a specific grope size. Again, thank you for choosing (the manufactures name). NOTE. Using reloaded ammunition will void warranty."

How do I measure the grope size of my rifle?  Or is this a "Tek-Spek" just for "Perfect Fit" recievers.  What Jokers!
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I am pretty sure they are Olympic Arms parts on Stinger lowers with a couple DPMS parts thrown in here and there.  I e-mailed them and asked them who made their barrels and other parts, if they could use military chambers and chrome lining as an option etc.
Their reply didn't include anything about who manufactured the barrels.  All he said was that in the future, he would manufacture his own barrels and parts.  Thanks, but I didn't ask who would manufacture it in the future, I asked who's parts you are using right now.  I'm going to e-mail him again and try to give him a chance.  I already have made an educated guess that they are Olympic parts.  It seems like he wants to dodge the issue.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top