Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/17/2003 7:45:56 PM EDT
I obtained a couple and wanted to double check if they are "legal" for my pre ban colt M4gery.  I am not LE, but the range I shoot at has quite a few who qual there.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am not LE, but the range I shoot at has quite a few who qual there.
View Quote

Huh???

Are they marked "Restricted LEO/Government use only" or dated after 9/94?

If so, they are not legal for you to own.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#2]
XM777 is correct, if those mags are marked LE and you arent one, even though you have a Pre Ban AR, you cant legally own them. give them to one of the LEOs (not sure if even that is ok) or destroy them. having them is not worth a trip to the gray bar hotel... John
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah if they are post ban hi caps then not only are they not legal to own but I wouldn't go telling anyone you have them much less shooting them when you are at a range with a bunch of cops.  Most cops wouldn't notice or even care but why take the chance.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:40:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Really?... That sucks,  they do say "Restricted Military/Gov't/Law Enforcement/Export Use Only".  Doesn't make much sense to me, it's just a freakin 20 round Magazine.  What makes it so special besides the etched  "Restricted Military/Gov't/Law Enforcement/Export Use Only"(MFG is 9-02).  Guess I'll "smartly" keep them at work (I'm military) til the ban expires (fingers crossed).
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]
What makes it special? Nothing except that it was made after September 14th 1994.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 11:11:24 PM EDT
[#6]
An unregistered lightning link is a thin piece of metal that looks kind of like a cheap ass bottle opener. It can convert an AR-15 illegally into a machinegun. Even though it is trivial and stupid it is the law(which is made by the trivial and stupid).

My #1 suggestion is to rid your home of anything that violates the 94 crime bill so you son't blow your opportunity which will come in less than a year.

My #2 suggestion (and I DON'T suggest this) is that you illegally convert your weapons to full auto to go with your illegal mags. You will do some serious time for this. (Theoretically) you would do some serious time for one insignificant 20 round magazine made after an arbitrary date. Therefore, if you're hell bent on being jailbound, you might as well earn it. Of course it would be better that you don't
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 1:45:28 AM EDT
[#7]
After you get rid of those LEO mags, go back and have words with the person who sold them to you, try not to kick his ass just yet.  Perhaps you might tell him that what he did was illegal, and ask him to replace your mags with legal non-LEO mags and you will not bother to report him.

Edited to add:  Since LEO mags remain cheap as they can still be produced (for LE/military/government only), the seller probably got them real cheap, and ripped you off by making you pay the pre-ban prices.  Or he got ripped off and passed the screw job along to you.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 7:15:40 AM EDT
[#8]
He's in the military so Im guessing these clips were one of the "perks" that you guys enjoy. haha. I don't condone this, but one of my friends in the national guard "enjoyed" so much free crap it was unbelievable. Of course he risked going to levenworth, not so smart.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:13:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies, WILCO, for now.  Where is good site for pre 94 20-30 round mags?  I realize they will be $$.  And yes, the gunsmith sent them w/ my rifle.  This was a while back, and he knew I was military.  Luckily I was extremely happy w/ the product. Any pros to staying with 20 round vice 30 round mags?  I seem to remember some issue regarding one of them.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:15:49 AM EDT
[#10]
ch11x
I am a LEO in Alaska, if you want to trade or sell those magazines let me know.  I think I might have some older Colt 20 round magazines that we could trade straight across for if you like.  If this would help you from staying out of trouble.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#12]
You should "smartly" get rid of those mags.

A few 20 round mags isn’t worth a federal weapons violation.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 5:16:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Really?... That sucks,  they do say "Restricted Military/Gov't/Law Enforcement/Export Use Only".  Doesn't make much sense to me, it's just a freakin 20 round Magazine.  What makes it so special besides the etched  "Restricted Military/Gov't/Law Enforcement/Export Use Only"(MFG is 9-02).  Guess I'll "smartly" keep them at work (I'm military) til the ban expires (fingers crossed).
View Quote

If you don't have an issue M16, or access to one, is there a risk of being charged with theft of government property by having them in your personal area? If they're found, your only defense is that they are personally owned... in violation of the law....

Do what you want, but I would throw the mag bodies in the trash as fast as possible (keep the internals and floorplate).

Link Posted: 10/18/2003 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
He's in the military so Im guessing these clips were one of the "perks" that you guys enjoy. haha. I don't condone this, but one of my friends in the national guard "enjoyed" so much free crap it was unbelievable. Of course he risked going to levenworth, not so smart.
View Quote

Not to steal the thread, but this reminds me of another "perk".  Had a buddy in the moving biz.  He would pack up rooms and move them.  Many soldiers would abandoned 30 magazines (worn as they were) in the rooms so my buddy would pick them up, must have collected at least 35 or more that way.  

ch11x, hope no offense was given, didn't mean to imply that I thought you got them in a shady manner, or that your source was shady, there are many ways mags fall into peoples hands, knowingly or unknowing.  As you were military, there was no problem.  You are wise to try an obtain non-LEO mags.  It is really decent of Arcticbear to offer to help you out, he's a good guy and I got to meet him personally - he's good to go!

Might I recommend the nice teflon mags from RGuns?  They are only $25 last time I checked, are new, tefloned, with green followers, may or may not be true Labelle mil-spec mags, but they are good in any case and they have both 20rd and 30rd mags.  Check the magazine forum on the EE board for other good deals on magazines, I'm sure there are plenty! [:)]
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks again for the replies, advice, and offers to help me out. Been to SERE, that's the only "CELL" time I did, and plan on doing.  Plus I'd have to worry about that "Double-Jeopardy" thing (UCMJ).  I plan on hanging on to these.  I'll just throw them in w/ our units det weapons packout (one of the ammo cans)at the armory, and purchase a couple "legal" mags. Hopefully, when the ban expires (finger crossed), I'll re-collect them.  I don't really have to worry about them dissappearing or inventory problems. This is my way of being "smartly".  
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 11:36:41 AM EDT
[#16]
The guy said he's in the military, those there's absolutely nothing illegal about military personnel being in possession of them.  Just stay in the military until the ban expires.  After all the mags say Restricted, Law Enforcement, MILITARY, etc.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 6:11:01 PM EDT
[#17]
What do you call a black 20 rd Colt mag with no other markings on it. Anyone know ?

Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:14:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What do you call a black 20 rd Colt mag with no other markings on it. Anyone know ?

View Quote

Pre-ban, or legal to own. If its totally black, and not that typical grey finish, then you might have an USA brand mag.

Just my two cents.

Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The guy said he's in the military, those there's absolutely nothing illegal about military personnel being in possession of them.  Just stay in the military until the ban expires.  After all the mags say Restricted, Law Enforcement, MILITARY, etc.
View Quote

nothing illegal about having them for use on a qualification range, or in the field or other on duty stuff....but under the UCMJ taking it and using it for your own personal use, amounts to misappropriation of gov't property, or worse yet stealing gov't property. now what is the chance of that happening? probably remote, but still there is that possibility.

I didn't even know that 20 rounders were still being made for the military, I though that what is in the inventory where made years ago.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:38:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you are *active duty* military, no one is going to bother you about those restricted mags.  And the ban on them will expire in a little over 10 months.

-Troy
View Quote
why do you say active only?  You get issued magazines in the reserve components as well.  You sign for them and take them home with the rest of your gear just like you would with a k pot or lbv.  Why is AD treated differently?
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top