Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/17/2003 4:44:35 PM EDT
I looking for any information on the Smith Enterprise chrome plated AR-15 and M16 bolt and bolt carriers.

How do they hold up? How do they function? Any other feedback on them.

I know there is nothing special about chrome other than I like the way it looks and it sure does clean a lot easier but I’m interested in getting one of the Smith Enterprise set ups and would like to hear your thoughts on them.

Best regards, J  
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I hate bringing it back to the top, but I would like to hear some thoughts on this.

Thanks, J
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe there is some kind of reaction with the hard plated chroming on Bolts and carriers and it will cause some cycling problems. Bushmaster has something about it on their website I think.

I'd stay away from them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 9:54:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a supposed "Match" M16 Chromed S.E. carrier from Brownells.  It was stamped with "D" and had many, many tooling marks.  Personally, I was really dissappointed for a "Match" carrier.  It probably functions fine but I never got around to using it.  If you want a full S.E. M16 Match assy with bolt, drop me a line, I can give you a good deal.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:55:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bought a supposed "Match" M16 Chromed S.E. carrier from Brownells.  It was stamped with "D" and had many, many tooling marks.  Personally, I was really dissappointed for a "Match" carrier.  It probably functions fine but I never got around to using it.  If you want a full S.E. M16 Match assy with bolt, drop me a line, I can give you a good deal.
View Quote

Hmmm; this is the second time I've seen someone post about having a Smith Enterprises Chrome carrier w/a "D" on it, and D is the stamp that DPMS puts on their stuff. Makes me wonder who is really the maker.

Like Mike I've got a chromed carrier w/a "D" on it. Kind of fell into it on a trade deal for some Orlite mags awhile back, and decided I'd use it on an M16A1 clone I was putting together. Like Mike, I was not overly impressed w/the machining marks on the front end of the thing, between the top and bottom rails that bear against the upper while it's functioning.  On the other hand, all the rest of it seemed well constructed and properly dimensioned. Put a Colt GI surp bolt assy on it, and have used it for several months now. Works fine. Plating not peeling or anything.

Now I am not a big chrome fan at all.  In fact, I've posted unflattering comments about the things in the past; but if you just have to have one, they'll work the same as anything else; at least for civilian use. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 5:10:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I've read several posts in the past about the chrome ones chipping.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I’ve really only had experience with Smith Enterprise on the M14, there they have done an excellent job. I didn’t know that the carriers they are using are from DPMS, that being the case, I’d prefer to not use DPMS parts.

I am most concerned about it functioning, fit, finish and the chrome not chipping. Sounds like I’ll just stick with what I’ve got. Thanks all.

Best regards, J
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#7]
If you really want a quality chrome B/C, get it from Les Baer.  Their chromed B/Cs are made by Young Manufacturing (Dan Young).  It makes a Smith Enterpises B/C look like crap.  I know this because I have both.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 4:21:40 PM EDT
[#8]
SE carriers are great, I have one I used with only excellent results. A "D" marked carrier is DPMS typically. You can tell a real Smith carrier by the non-staked stainless gas key bolts. That is if it was assembled from the factory. No machine marks on mine, nice and smooth.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:46:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Shamayim, your carrier is just like mine.  Machining lines between the bearing rails, on the upper body rails between the gas key and the rear circle, also on the front flat platform under the gas key.  I suspect they are using DPMS carriers, but supposedly they are making their own.  Still, as long as the contact surfaces are smooth, I guess that is all that is important.  However I got the chrome job because I wanted ease of cleaning, and the machining grooves defeat some of that.  None of my other carriers are so rough, and supposedly my SE carrier was touted as a MATCH carrier (got it from Brownells).  The gas key bolts were not staked on, but I had them staked.

Not to go off thread, but for comparison sake I have comments on other B/BC assy's I have:

Les Baer: AR-15 match carrier, extended ramp, longer rear circle but shorter than M16, heaviest out there I think, awesome quality/detail.

Colt: Fantastic
Bushy: Great
Armalite: Great

KAC SR-15 Match: Chrome and like the Les Baer it's awesome, though the rear is cut shorter but still longer than standard I think.

LMT: Beyond awesome, it's the next level.

S.E.: Old one I have is okay, new match chrome unit I have has much machining marks but operationally okay.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top