Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/17/2003 12:24:08 PM EDT
I currently have a 20" bushmaster A2 with a
4x9 scope mounted on the carry handle.  I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and buy a flat-top (if I do I will probably just buy the whole upper rather than mess with a barrel wrench and vice blocks... Besides I like the free-float hand guards) or just stick to what I have.

I generally shoot @ 100 - 200 yards, though I'd like to bring that up to 300 one of these days.  Mainly just long range plinking, etc.

So what do people think? The gun as it currently sits seems very accutate at 100 yards which is where I do probably 70% of my shooting.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Un-official ARFcom motto; "get both"
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#2]
[LOLabove]   [LOL]

Very true! Very true! LOL

From my experience, scopes site wayyy to high when mounted on carry handles, for my tastes anyway.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Better to have and not need than to need and not have…A flat top will give you a world of mounting options. [;)]

Ray
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I concur.  I opted to get the A3 upper reciever w/detachable carry handle/rear sight assembly because I could use either iron sights or optics if I ever decided to purchase them.

From my PoV, the A3 upper reciever just provides more options, and only costs $90 more.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:54:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep the Carry Handle for short/medium ranges.  The flattop for 200 and beyond.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with "Get Both" motto, but I had to choose just one. I was choose the flat top, they are just more versatile.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 10:09:55 PM EDT
[#7]
If you wanted to mount your scope directly to the carry handle and still have the option of mounting directly to the flattop rail down the road why not just get an A3 upper that allows you to do both?

I don't see a downside to going with an A3 upper.

Edit: This scope is normally mounted on a Colt HBAR A2 but it works just fine mounted on my M4 w/detachable carry handle:

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~cjan99999/M4_Scope.jpg[/img]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top