Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2003 5:44:21 PM EDT
As far as I know a Free Floating Barrel, is when the handguards & equipment do not mount to the barrel right?
I hear your gun becomes more accurate...How does that work??
What are the advantages to free floating?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
As far as I know a Free Floating Barrel, is when the handguards & equipment do not mount to the barrel right?
I hear your gun becomes more accurate...How does that work??
What are the advantages to free floating?
Thanks.
View Quote

Barrel is not affected by external forces such as mounting bipods, forends, handguards, slings & etc. Is able to whip/vibrate the same evertime fired, I suppose. Of course, the barrel has to be of quality to really shine. Quick answer.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
ditto that. A free barell can heat up and touch a handguard at which time it will start to affect accuracy.  That is why when sighting in a rifle you let cool between shots and clean it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
ditto that. A free barell can heat up and touch a handguard at which time it will start to affect accuracy.  That is why when sighting in a rifle you let cool between shots and clean it.
View Quote

WHAT?  A free floated barrel can heat up and TOUCH a free float tube???   How hot does it have to get to move THAT much?  Never heard of this and frankly it sounds like [BS] to me.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 8:59:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

WHAT?  A free floated barrel can heat up and TOUCH a free float tube???   How hot does it have to get to move THAT much?  Never heard of this and frankly it sounds like [BS] to me.
View Quote

thats how you make it shoot around corners!
you going to the 3gun on sunday?

Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:28:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Normally when you shoot especially if you use the sling you pull down and it puts pressure on the barrel. The pressure is different every time so you lose consistancy. When you free float the barrel you take all pressures from your gripping it to accessories off of the barrel so it is more consistant.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:28:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I recently purchased a Knight's FF-RAS for my rifle and one thing I immediately noticed when I went to verify the sights was that my group size was noticeably less than my previous groups the week before.

Since I've had the free-float installed my groups have consistently been about 0.5" less at 100yds (from around 1.5-2MOA range to 1-1.5MOA range) from the bench with no other changes to the rifle.

It is a pretty marked improvement too as I keep a shooting log and you can see the immediate drop right after the tube install as groups shrink a half inch and stay shrunk.

Having said that - without a bench or rollover prone, my own personal errors in shooting more than cancel out any benefit I get from free floating the barrel right now.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top