Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/15/2003 7:18:28 PM EDT
I have a Bushy 20" HBAR and I had a chipped extractor so I replaced the extractor, insert and spring. I used a Wolf extra power spring. When testing the gun I noticed that the rims on the casings are getting chewed up pretty bad. Should I go back to the stock spring or is this OK.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the same spring on my 11.5" Olympic, it does mark up the rims somewhat but not badly, I had a problem with FTE on this gun and went to the spring you use. The markings on the casings have gotten to be less noticeable over time and about 1K rounds...John
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 7:54:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank, guess I'll see if it gets better over time. Just didn't want to start ripping the rims off cases.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Didnt mention that most of this 1K was steel case ammo, which will wear our an extractor  or break it faster than normal. My Oly likes it so I shoot it. Maybe some other board readers will have more to offer.. John
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:13:02 AM EDT
[#4]
If you don't need the extra power wolff spring, don't use it - don't fix what aint broken.  On a 14.5" or less, it becomes somewhat more necessary.  20" shouldn't really need it, unless your rifle gets really, really dirty or has a laquered up sticky chamber.

Perhaps you should just try one of the current generation Colt Springs - they are heavy duty, and might be less power than the Wolff, though that would just be a guess.  Doorkicker6 of Black Rifle Armory is selling them on the EE board.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Just to clear the air:

IIRC Wolf has explained that they DO NOT use laquer on current production .223 ammunition. What "might" have been true in the past is now an old wive's tale.

(If you can imagine wives getting together and talking about Wolf using laquer on their bullets)
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:40:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey Pulpsmack.. Really true on the Wolf ammo?
Pretty good deal if it is. Low pressure ammo is easy on your gun, and you can shoot more, kill more cans, pumpkins, Lawn Boys (shot the hell out of that old mower, bitch to clean up the mess though)!!  John
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 1:06:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just to clear the air:

IIRC Wolf has explained that they DO NOT use laquer on current production .223 ammunition. What "might" have been true in the past is now an old wive's tale.

(If you can imagine wives getting together and talking about Wolf using laquer on their bullets)
View Quote

Man, that is good to hear!  What is it coated with, if at all?  I have always stayed away from Wolf .223, but now I may try some cause the price is really good.  It is steel case though, isn't it?
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:09:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Wolf does not use the [b]neck sealant[/b], the case is still lacqured and that is not a problem.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:21:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wolf does not use the [b]neck sealant[/b], the case is still lacqured and that is not a problem.
View Quote

That is your opinion. The manufacturer of my ARs still states the lifetime warranty is void if I use Wolf ammunition. There is a reason for that, there are more problems with Wolf than just the laquer coating. I will use only brass cased ammo in my $850 AR, whereas the steel cased Wolf ammo is fine for my $300 AK47 clone, which has far greater tolerances.
I have had not even one FTE/FTF in my AR since it was NIB with over 1500 rounds down the pipe.

You can go against your weapons manufacturer's recommendations, but there is usually a reason  
why they inform their customers of such things.
If it works for you and you want the risk, go for it. To each his own.

BAck on thread: where is a good place to buy Wolff springs?
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 9:30:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I's till very dirty ammo and the steel case is hard on your extractor.  I'll never understand why people use this junk.  Go to Walmart and get cheap Winchester isntead.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 10:16:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, Campybob has about 14,000 rounds of lacqured Wolf down the pipe of his PMDS Full-Auto M-4 with no problems.  It still has the orginal extractor.  I think that speaks volumes.

P.S.  Lacquer is softer than brass and that is what contacts the extractor and chamber, not the soft steel in the case.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Wolff extractor springs can be bought at [url]www.brownells.com[/url]
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 1:15:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wolff extractor springs can be bought at [url]www.brownells.com[/url]
View Quote

That's where I got mine, and I got them in convienient 3 packs.  It's always nice to have spares.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#14]
They can also be gotten directly from Wolff [url]www.gunsprings.com[/url]. They ship 'em within 24 hours, don't charge you any extra for postage on what they can mail in an envelope, and if you call, they are pleasant to talk with[:D]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:26:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Ahh, back on topic. Ask a question about Wolff springs in my AR chewing up brass rims and I get the same tried old arguments on Wolf ammo. I put the spring in because I replaced a chipped extractor and the old spring seemed a little weak. Have heard good things about their springs so decided to try one. Thanks to all who answered on topic.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top