Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2003 6:50:07 PM EDT
What do people think of AR's from American Spirit Arms in Scottsdale, AZ?  I stopped by there today and they looked well made but I have heard very little about them.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 7:27:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Run away! Run away fast! There have been faaaaar too many problems reported here with both their rifles and their owner to make buying one something worthwhile.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, you'll hear lots of bad experiences with the owner and with cycling problems related to the gas port.
I however, love mine.  The one time I had a problem, they went out of their way to help.  I have lost count, but have somewhere above 5000 rnds. through mine.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I have not dealt with them but I think they make one of the best side cocker receivers out there.
Robert
[url]www.rbprecision.com[/url]
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#4]
OMFG run like hell.....  the bag of shit that owns that company is the most unstable bastard i have ever seen...  A few years ago i had a major shoe in with the guy...  still couldn't make good on his "warranty"  all i wanted was my money back. That was the wrong question to ask, lol.   I posted the story here a few years back under a former screen name.

LittleJacek
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:23:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have not dealt with them but I think they make one of the best side cocker receivers out there.
Robert
[url]www.rbprecision.com[/url]
View Quote

I don't think so.  I guess you have not seen SOCOM Mfg's side cocking upper:

[url]http://www.socommfg.com/sdckrupper.html[/url]

I would trust my life to this.  I would not trust my life to anything that ASA makes.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:43:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Only ever dealt with them regarding 9mm arf parts. Nothing I had from them worked, nothing fit right and they never made good on any of it.

J
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:45:40 AM EDT
[#7]
One of my very first posts when I was still shopping for an AR was the exact same question...

I saw ASA ad in Shotgun News and like the prices I saw, but wanted to run it by the AR board before ordering...

Needless to say - I got the same responses you did here...

The companies that advertise on AR15.com are very reputable - stick with them and you cannot lose...

[sniper2]
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 5:44:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an American Spirit Arms Lower and it functions fine.  My Lower came from JT Distributing...It functions fine.  It jammed at first but the trick is to give her lots of oil and shoot the piss out of it to break it in.  It took about 200-250 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the information.  I'm going with either Armalite or Bushmaster.  I talked to the owner and he indicated he had one individual who was no longer allowed to talk to customers because so many people complained about him.  He also talked about everyone under the sun who he said they had "personality problems" with and that why they bad-mouthed his company.  Apparently they have "personality problems" with just about everyone, cusomters, deakers etc.  So I'll go with something more established.  They also specifically mentioned AR15.com as a place that badmouths them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:05:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Good call on asking first, I got stuck with a piece of junk because I decided to buy before asking here...
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#11]
This is odd, lots of folks saying that ASA isn't recommended, thank God I checked here first and on and on....  Yet when I built my first AR about 4 years ago I did it based on an article on this site that suggested going with either Model1 or ASA for your first build!  Huh!  And guess what... the freekin sky hasn't fallen on me.  

My ASA functions top notch.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:28:55 AM EDT
[#13]
tthiel:
Thanks for the information.  I'm going with either Armalite or Bushmaster.  
View Quote

Good for you!

Stick to "A B C" !
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I lurked around the gunshows, before I found out about this site, and especially liked hanging around the ASA booth. Besides the pretty girl they had as a rep, I used to listen to all the complaints ASA got when they were there. They shut down their booth early on several occasions.
After that I bought my first BM. Now I have a RRA and between the two (BM/RRA) I wouldn't choose any other make.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:35:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

ASA is also being sued by Armalite for AR10 patent infringements, and Armalite is going to win...

-Troy
View Quote

I 'believe' that now reads "has won".
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This is odd, lots of folks saying that ASA isn't recommended, thank God I checked here first and on and on....  Yet when I built my first AR about 4 years ago I did it based on an article on this site that suggested going with either Model1 or ASA for your first build!  Huh!  And guess what... the freekin sky hasn't fallen on me.  

My ASA functions top notch.
View Quote

fastang50,
I've read many, many posts here regarding ASA.  Here's what I've learned.  Those people who buy ASA and have no problems with the product seem to like ASA just fine.  However, those people who do buy ASA and need warranty work are almost universally unhappy campers !!

Since none of us know what products will not require service most of us advise against an ASA purchase.  It ain't nuthin personal it's just bidness !!

5sub
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep yep, I understand that 5ss5.  Just wanted to balance the load a touch.  I don't care that most folks think ASA is scrap, just pointing out that I've had a different experience.  That being said my next purchase was an Oly, so as you see I'm not loyal!  If it works I like it!  
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I ended up with a Bushmaster 16" A3, I bought local here in Tucson even though I could have saved by buying in Phoenix (where I work) or on Gunbroker etc. But this local shop is a good one and I want to support them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#19]
good call on NOT going with ASA... the lower i have of theirs is of great quality but that is because its 5-6 years old...  i watched a guy who used to do their moly coating walk in and get completely insulted in front of customers by BOB (the crap sack owner).  He was literally screeming at the poor guy for putting the wrong color moly on an upper... I had originally had my upper in 6 times to have it fixed.   Gas hole the size of a large nail, barrel extention so crooked the bolt wouldn't lock up, brass turning to scrap on extraction and sticking in my hand (i'm a lefty and slivers actually stuck in my hand!) ... when i asked for my money back BOB started punching the cash register and lunged screaming at me.. was actually funny as hell... the fat sack of crap was actually threatening me... I just laughed and walked out..  a couple years later i heard some NEW people were in charge of customer service... so i called them and asked if they would fullfill my warranty claim.. they did.. the upper looks quite nice however the blind bastard that put it together couldn't index the barrel worth a crap.. its been sitting in my closet for a few years now... it does shoot nice tight groups but the crooked gas block still bothers me... i should probably just get a wrench and fix it myself... or i could just keep it as trophy proof of BOBS failure in life : )

LittleJacek  
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
good call on NOT going with ASA... the lower i have of theirs is of great quality but that is because its 5-6 years old...  i watched a guy who used to do their moly coating walk in and get completely insulted in front of customers by BOB (the crap sack owner).  He was literally screeming at the poor guy for putting the wrong color moly on an upper... I had originally had my upper in 6 times to have it fixed.   Gas hole the size of a large nail, barrel extention so crooked the bolt wouldn't lock up, brass turning to scrap on extraction and sticking in my hand (i'm a lefty and slivers actually stuck in my hand!) ... when i asked for my money back BOB started punching the cash register and lunged screaming at me.. was actually funny as hell... the fat sack of crap was actually threatening me... I just laughed and walked out..  a couple years later i heard some NEW people were in charge of customer service... so i called them and asked if they would fullfill my warranty claim.. they did.. the upper looks quite nice however the blind bastard that put it together couldn't index the barrel worth a crap.. its been sitting in my closet for a few years now... it does shoot nice tight groups but the crooked gas block still bothers me... i should probably just get a wrench and fix it myself... or i could just keep it as trophy proof of BOBS failure in life : )

LittleJacek  
View Quote

That's how mine was...but the barrel itself was over=tightened.  Had that fixed and went out...KABOOM...went back a few more times but now it works...
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't think so.  I guess you have not seen SOCOM Mfg's side cocking upper:

[url]http://www.socommfg.com/sdckrupper.html[/url]

I would trust my life to this.  I would not trust my life to anything that ASA makes.
View Quote

Thanks Raptor, very impressive, one of my major reasons for wanting the asa was the clean look at the rear, I see this has the same.
Robert
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top