Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2003 6:25:02 PM EDT
Ok.Here is the deal.I have been shooting for about 2 years now.I have read all the posts for ammo whores but was wondering what constitutes a gun whore.I am at 22 handguns and rifles combined and am wondering how much worse this hobby will get.I only shoot paper which is probably good because hunting would open a whole new can of worms as far as firearms go.Every time i purchase a gun on my wish list at least twice as many get added to the list.I need help in a big way!!! I go to ammo shows and purchase ammo at great deals for calibers that i dont even need.I need help!NOW!!!
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Everybody spends money on their favorite hobby. Yours isn't harmful to your health, it isn't illegal and if you take care of your guns it can be an investment. Where's the problem?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know, have you gotten to the point you are dry humping your collection yet?

If not, then carry on.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#3]
When you have to move to get more room.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I try to spend money and build the guns I have up rather than constantly buying new ones. I know many people who have FAR more guns than I do in their collection, but none of them are builot to their potential. Just another point of view.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey man, if you have the money for it, go for it.  I was like that with airsoft..spent about $8,000 on that.  Now im into real guns.  I have only spent $1400 so far, but I gaurantee you that I wont be satisfied until I own an MP5A5, G36K, UMP, Five-seveN, USP, and .50 cal sniper rifle....why not.  Guns are f'ing sweet :D
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I say go quality not quantity, (easier said than done) I am getting to the point where I divide the safe into two halves, ones I really like, and ones I would sell to get the next thing I fall in love with. Funny that method started happening when we had our first child.

The saddest thing she said to me...you can have it but you have to get rid of one of your others first. So I started collecting marlin model 60's, H&R single shots (rusty and cracked stocks of course) just for that purpose. LOOPHOLE!

Unfortunatly I caught her looking at the 2003 gun value book...sigh....

Robert
www.rbprecision.com
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#7]
well I think I'm up to about 22 pistols alone now, so carry on.

BTW, if/when you get a C&R your numbers will increase rapidly.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 7:41:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I think being a gun whore is a great acheivement... Keep up the good work!!... John
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:19:20 AM EDT
[#9]
???? If 22 guns makes one a gun whore, what does that make me at 180+/- guns?  My excuse is I was a gun dealer though, and I almost NEVER EVER SELL ANY OF MY GUNS!  That's my first rule in life.

Hey, they just keep going up in value for the most part though.  If you are going to be buying so many more, consider becoming a dealer and getting the rest at wholesale WHILE you do business with others (which you must do as it is illegal to use an FFL just to increase your own collection).  That's what I did.  Sold enough to reasonably show I was in business, but I bought my own as well.  Like power begits power, so doth guns begit guns...  Just count yourself lucky you haven't started dabbling in NFA stuff.  And you might want to avoid MSTN cause they about wiped me out. [;)]

I forgot to mention, if you want to shake that gun monkey off your back, just get a wife and kids and that will pretty much squash your sprees.

Oh, BTW, ARF is directly responsible for upping my total 3 or 4.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:53:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Call us back when you reach three digits or two safes.

I try to look at it this way. It’s a hobby/collection but I can use them and more than likely they’re appreciating.

Like [b]RBPRECISION[/b] buy quality not quantity, makes a big difference. Take some time to think about what you really want/need and what your application is going to be (still trying to figure that out for a ’76 Winchester).

Yes I really need six more arfs.

Best regards, J
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 2:26:06 AM EDT
[#11]
From a little different point of view...
I'm 19 and am due to ship out to basic training Nov. 4th now.  Of course my genius self decided to buy an AR-15 a month before I signed up, (now I have to part with her).  Waiting on tables doesn't exactly yield an exponential dollar amount to buy new toys all the time.  My first rifle was my Bushmaster 20" A2 and I love it.  Now it's hard to decide whether to keep buying more guns or spend money on quality optics, free floating accessorie systems, ammo, mags, mounts and so on.  I've gotten to the point where it might be a better idea to have a few guns that have everything you want on them the twice that that are just "ok".  Of course you start looking at RAS, Optics, mounts, mags, ammo, and everything else the guns starts to seem like it wasn't too expensive in the first place.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 2:45:12 AM EDT
[#12]
We are NOT whores,
Just avid collectors.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I went through an experimental phase where I bought a lot of stuff just to try out different types of actions, cartridges, etc. (most of it was relatively inexpensive).  Now I'm upgrading the guns that I really like, and selling off the others.

jafager
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#14]
22 probably doesn't make you a gun whore. On the other hand, we all have "favorites", so I wouldn't have any time to shoot the other guns - ergo, no need to buy that many. There is a practical lower limit of 5 though. Gotta have at least 5. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 11:23:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Everybody spends money on their favorite hobby. Yours isn't harmful to your health, it isn't illegal and if you take care of your guns it can be an investment. Where's the problem?
View Quote

Very well said! I'm gonna have my girlfriend read this tonight. She's grown weary of the pie-chart of my spendings...(lets just say it's  a VERY Obtuse triangle)
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I think anyone that really gets into shooting - esp comp shooting ends up with a laundry list of firearms. Even those that are looking to only deal in quality bang bang end up cycling through a bunch of product simply because so much of it revoles around personal preference.

My current goal - and I am close to acheiving it is:

2 of everything I carry or would rely on for defensive purposes. Each one fully dressed with optics / mounts / slings / carry leather, quality case (Starlight) for long guns / lights / min 10 mags per / dies, brass, powder, match bullets / SD ammo /etc etc

I have several meat guns - that mainly sit. The above is what I shoot - somewhere in the collective neighborhood of 20,000 rounds per year.

ps - I see no downside what so ever in selling off what does not get used if it furthers a good plan or helps you attain the right set up for what you are really looking for.

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
???? If 22 guns makes one a gun whore, what does that make me at 180+/- guns?.
View Quote

Someone I envy!
Robert
[url]www.rbprecision.com[/url]
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 12:51:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
???? If 22 guns makes one a gun whore, what does that make me at 180+/- guns?.
View Quote

Someone I envy!
Robert
[url]www.rbprecision.com[/url]
View Quote

Well, my brother looks at me in disgust and tells me "Mike, you only got two hands!"

I also like the terms,

Gun Enthusiast
Gun Afficionado

Though gun nut and gun freak is what I usually hear people say when referring to me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 12:59:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Though gun nut and gun freak is what I usually hear people say when referring to me.
View Quote

My wife calls me "Tackleberry"

My mother calls me "someone who busts his ass for everything he has"

You can always count on mom [:D]
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 1:23:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have been shooting for about 2 years now...I am at 22 handguns and rifles combined and am wondering how much worse this hobby will get.
View Quote

22 guns in 24 months ? Holy shit.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 12:21:45 AM EDT
[#21]
You have what is referred to as a clinical compulsive disorder indicated by an atypical  hormonal imbalance.  As a Marine, I was trained to treat this disorder.  I can and will, help you.  

To realize a complete cure, the first thing you must to do, is box up all of the nasty, evil firearms in your hooch and ship them directly to me for proper disposition.  

At this point you will feel some lightheadedness.  Shortly thereafter your nutsack will rapidly shrivel up, detach from your body and drop to the deck away from your formerly poisoned self.  

Be sure to dispose of these testicles properly because they may still contain some testosterone which could be harmful.

You will then be cured, squat when you piss and be considered a true cowtowing Democrat.  Diane Feinstinkytwat, Barbara Boxistinkin and Don Peratfuk, all (D) of California will thank you for having absolutely no balls.

You can help spread their message to all other parts of the country, helping rid all the land of the evil substance known as Testosterone.

Soon all us Marines and LEO's will carry rainbow colored flags on our shoulders and informative Liberal phamplets in our holsters containing information about the ills of Testosterone.

They don't really want to ban Guns... they want to ban Balls.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 3:46:58 AM EDT
[#22]
[ROFL2]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 4:53:02 AM EDT
[#23]
The 22 guns ya got, are they all quality guns?

I personally would rather have a few quality guns that cover all my needs , than to have a whole crap load and have to feed all the various calibers (if they vary).

I think a good collection should be:

.22lr
.223 AR
.308 Fal or equiv.
.308 or higher bolt gun
12gauge shotgun

pistols are a diff story, i have a few and each serve a purpose:

NA .22mag (goes in pack with snake shot)
.38spl, (ccw gun)
.357 (home defence)
.45 acp, (nUFF said - everyone should own a 1911 style .45)
keltec P32 (when running to the store and dont wanna get all "dressed" up)
.22MKII (good all around shooting .22)
9mm (tactical gun - ammo is cheap and hi-caps are easy to find)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top