Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/15/2003 1:44:43 PM EDT
I just picked up mine today.  Do you have to be careful when shooting with a collapsible
stock?  Has anyone here been hit with the charging handle?  
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#1]
the charging handle doesn't move when you shoot...
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#2]
...  Oh man, I ain't laughing at you, I'm laughing with you!
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#3]
He could be talking about the recoil - last time I fired one, my nose got a bit sore from every time it bumped up against the handle.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I just duck my head out of the way real quick each time I pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#5]
If the charging handle isn't closed completely or if the latch is broken it will fly back and nail your ass. Only happened once to me-Marine Corps bootcamp, 1976. Once was enough.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 2:10:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't be stupid, you moron.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 2:13:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I am also laughing with you. First time I shot my AR I didn't have the charging handle latched all the way. I had a fat lip for about a half hour. And after you do it once you always check the handle.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, If it is not latched it will ring your bell for sure.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#9]
i however, am laughing at you

~luvdamonkey
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#10]
If it's an ASA rifle then all bets are off. The charging handle might fly back with the bolt.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#11]
My head is always far enough back that even if it flew back, the charging handle would not hit me.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#12]
From the hip  [:e]
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Oh man, now I really feel stupid.  This is my first AR and I haven't shot it yet.  So what stays open after the last round?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I have to fess up.I thought that once.And to add insult to injury, i was all so STUPID enough to ask my senior d.i.That was the last time i asked ANY question's for the next 12 week's.Although that was 22 yrs ago.Niko,buddy.I suggest you do some reading up on that fire arm ,before you take it to the range.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't feel stupid. We were all new to the AR at one time or another. The bolt is what stays open. The only time the charging handle will move from its position is if you pull on it to load your first round. Your nose is safe. Congrats on your new AR, what make is it, Colt, Bushmaster..etc?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, to get all specific, you are supposed to shoot the AR with your nose touching the charging handle, right?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:17:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Somebody from MD take this guy shooting please![:P]
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Oh, boy. As others have stated you will want to go over the owners manual that came with the rifle rather thuroughly. Don't let the people laughing at you bring you down either, you have to start somewhere. What better place than here with guys that know thier stuff(when it comes to ARs at least). Good shooting.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If it's an ASA rifle then all bets are off. The charging handle might fly back with the bolt.
View Quote

It's funny because it's true.  It's also sad because it's true...
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Take it apart and see how it works.  Its easy and you will learn alot.  The AR is a very simple design.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well, to get all specific, you are supposed to shoot the AR with your nose touching the charging handle, right?
View Quote

Works for me.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#22]
The charging handle should stay in place as you fire the weapon. If it does not, then take it to a gunsmith to have it fixed. The first time I shot an AR I didn't know what to expect either. The first time I set down with it, I had so many questions that most people here on Arf.com would just laugh at me all day long. Hang in there and keep asking questions. You'll be up to speed in no time. The AR is a really great shooting rifle that you will come to love and respect.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I picked up mine about a month ago it is a mushy m4 love it love it love it.  Need an acog for it now!
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I think the idea of putting your nose to the charging handle is only relevant when shooting from classic static posistions the way they teach in the service because it gives the novice a consistent sight picture and a familiar feel shot ot shot but in combat when movement is fast paced and shooting rapid with both eyes open you will never put your nose to the handle because your head sits father back.But when doing DCM shoots with my AR I too put nose to the handle.When you say the handle hits you is it flying at you or is your nose on top of the T handle,I dont remember if you said wich way or not.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#25]
The first time I set down with it, I had so many questions that most people here on Arf.com would just laugh at me all day long.
View Quote

Even though I've owned ARs since 1991 just recently I bought my first M4 carbine. I've been clogging this board with questions every day since I brought it home.

I hear you brother.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 8:29:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I just duck my head out of the way real quick each time I pull the trigger.
View Quote

HOLY SHYTE thats funny !! lmao !
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#27]
LMAO...I thought I was seeing things but this guy is being truthful.  But hey it's totally understandable if you are not familiar with the rifle.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#28]
If you want to know how it works, insert an empty magazine, pull the charging handle back, and see what happens.  The bolt should lock in the back position.   Now push the charging handle to the closed position.   Note that the bolt REMAINS OPEN with the charging handle in the closed position.   It will remain open until you hit the bolt release lever on the left side of the receiver.   Or, you could insert a loaded magazine and pull the charging handle back all the way and then release it, but you'd better be ready to shoot if you do that.    You can simulate this by simply removing the magazine entirely, too.

Field strip your rifle.  Note that the bolt can freely move backwards without the charging handle moving.   Hold the bolt carrier assembly against the charging handle and you will see this.   The bolt moves independently, unless you are pulling back on the charging handle, which grabs the bolt assembly near the snorkel.

Don't feel bad, though.  You are NOT the first person to ever have this misconception about the AR design.    At one time, I did so, too, but I field stripped the rifle and analyzed its mechanism and characteristics and saw how it really works and so I stopped worrying about it.

It IS good advice to make sure the charging handle is fully latched, though.  I've never been hit by a loose handle, but I know someone who was.   Nice fat lip there!

CJ
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Niko let me know if you need any more help. I'll give you my cell # and you can call me.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#30]
The AR15/M16 family of weapons utilizes a NON-reciprocating charging handle, which means that it is indepenent of the bolt/bolt carrier. Once it is closed [b]and latched[/b], it won't move.

If you have a question that (the answer to) will help you understand your weapon, or keeps you from needlessly injuring yourself or somebody else, it ain't a dumb question. Ask away.

Link Posted: 10/16/2003 12:38:24 AM EDT
[#31]

If you have a question that (the answer to) will help you understand your weapon, or keeps you from needlessly injuring yourself or somebody else, it ain't a dumb question. Ask away.
View Quote

Amen.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 12:59:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Amen.
View Quote

Amen

We’re all here to help each other.

Welcome to the arf family.

J
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:03:36 AM EDT
[#33]
No pain, no gain.

Could easily happen to an AR-15 newbie.  Sounds painfull, glad that didn't happen to me...
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 2:50:33 AM EDT
[#34]
You mean that handle thing on the top isn't the backup grip?  And the bruised knuckles were all for nothin'!

I only plan to shoot the AR from the hip, since that shoulder thing doesn't sound nearly as cool.

Seriously, I just bought my first Bushy recently, and I gave it a good looking over to reconcile any differences between it and the M1A's/Mini-14's that I usually shoot.  I can appreciate both designs, and am duly hooked!  Get to know the gun!  Be the gun!  Live the gun!
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 5:35:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If you want to know how it works, insert an empty magazine, pull the charging handle back, and see what happens.  The bolt should lock in the back position.   Now push the charging handle to the closed position.   Note that the bolt REMAINS OPEN with the charging handle in the closed position.   It will remain open until you hit the bolt release lever on the left side of the receiver.   Or, you could insert a loaded magazine and pull the charging handle back all the way and then release it, but you'd better be ready to shoot if you do that.    You can simulate this by simply removing the magazine entirely, too.

Field strip your rifle.  Note that the bolt can freely move backwards without the charging handle moving.   Hold the bolt carrier assembly against the charging handle and you will see this.   The bolt moves independently, unless you are pulling back on the charging handle, which grabs the bolt assembly near the snorkel.

Don't feel bad, though.  You are NOT the first person to ever have this misconception about the AR design.    At one time, I did so, too, but I field stripped the rifle and analyzed its mechanism and characteristics and saw how it really works and so I stopped worrying about it.

It IS good advice to make sure the charging handle is fully latched, though.  I've never been hit by a loose handle, but I know someone who was.   Nice fat lip there!

CJ
View Quote

Or better yet, get some "snap caps" to understand how the rifle works before loading a mag with real ammo.  For those who may not be familiar with snap caps (i.e. Niko) they are essentially dummy rounds that are usually finished in bright colors.  They allow you to practice cycling and loading the weapon without risk of accidentally firing a live round.  Very good for getting used how the weapon controls operate.  Any local gun shop usually will have them, and Pachymar "A-Zoom" caps are the best from what I have used.

IMHO, don't EVER load live ammo in a weapon unless you are at the range and ready destroy something.  Waaaay to much chance for accidental discharge, esepecially if you are not fully familiar and confident with how a weapon works.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:04:34 AM EDT
[#36]
I noticed that several people seem to be saying that if your CH is unlatched that it will come back with the bolt/carrier.  I don't see how this could happen.  I can see how you'd get a fat lip from bringing the rifle up with something in the way.  I'm not about to test this so tell me, is there anyway that the CH can reciprocate if unlatched?
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:24:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Niko,
Contact me offline or visit my website [url]http://www.MD-AR15.com[/url]

We can head out to the range and I'll help you out with that rifle.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:25:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I noticed that several people seem to be saying that if your CH is unlatched that it will come back with the bolt/carrier.  I don't see how this could happen.  I can see how you'd get a fat lip from bringing the rifle up with something in the way.  I'm not about to test this so tell me, is there anyway that the CH can reciprocate if unlatched?
View Quote

Yes, the same gas pressure that sends the bolt carrier into the buffer, and into the receiver extension, will send an unlatched charging handle along with for the ride.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:54:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Never feel bad about asking questions, that is what this site is all about.One year ago I knew Jack Squat about AR's. Now with the help of people here and delving into manuals ect Im in my third build.Everything from the lower to mounting a barrel on the upper.I love it, the Ar is a great gun to build and shoot, and you can make differnt variations of it just as I have.It doesnt have to be the most expensive but try and get quality parts.......I can pull my AR's apart and assemble them with my eyes closed now...not bad for a year..Have fun and learn about your gun, understanding how it operates will make any problems you may have with it easy to understand and resolve.
GOOD LUCK and ASK QUESTIONS IF YOU NEED TO.[:D]
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:10:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Interesting thread.  This thought never crossed my mind before.

Tj
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:27:46 AM EDT
[#41]
I recall being trained as an infantryman to slightly touch the charging handle with the tip of my nose to ensure the same sight picture.  So what if your nose gets "sore"?
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:38:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I recall being trained as an infantryman to slightly touch the charging handle with the tip of my nose to ensure the same sight picture.
[/qutoe]
Correct - no matter what position you're in you'll need to maintain a consistant sight picture or you won't be hitting where you are aiming.

So what if your nose gets "sore"?
View Quote

Your nose shouldn't get sore ever.  The nose should be lightly touching, or just touching if you stretch a tiny bit.  If the [b]Stock[/b] should be firmly in your shoulder (where it should be) then you'll not get a sore nose.

Sore noses are due to people not pulling the stock into their shoulder - if the rifle is held loosley (or off the shoulder) then there is a place for it to move back (and have the charging handle whack your nose).
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top