Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/15/2003 1:08:40 PM EDT
As always, thanks for looking

I went shooting today and put a couple of scratches in the finish of my Colt M4 carbine. I realize that my ARs aren't dollhouses but I would like to keep them looking halfway decent.

On my pistols I used to use a Sharpie pen but that rubs right off. Is there a more permanent way to protect exposed metal?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I use the Birchwood-Casey touch-up pens. They're paint, not ink, and they come in flat and gloss black.
Available from Brownell's or [url=bushmaster.com/shopping/gunsmith/15101.asp]Bushmaster[/url].
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#2]
IBMM

(In before MarkM)

[:D]

He's notorious for bashing prissy guys that want their rifles looking perfect. Really guys, these marks on your rifle are what makes your rifle different from every other.

At least that's how I rationalize not refinishing my upper to get rid of the few scratches [;)]
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
IBMM

(In before MarkM)

He's notorious for bashing prissy guys that want their rifles looking perfect. Really guys, these marks on your rifle are what makes your rifle different from every other.

At least that's how I rationalize not refinishing my upper to get rid of the few scratches [;)]
View Quote

Considering that I've got a couple grand each invested in some of my higher end weapons wanting to keep them looking halfway decent isn't an unreasonable desire.

Over the years I have bought and sold many ARs, Benelli shotguns, Sig an HK handguns and can testify firsthand that a gun that looks beat to shit doesn't command the same price that a pristine copy does.

If someone felt it necessary to bash me for wanting to protect my investment they can either whip out their checkbook and buy my weapons when I sell them, or they can keep their goddamned mouths shut if they don't have anything constructive to add.

If some over-zealous keyboard kommando doesn't like it, screw em. I'm not going to lose any sleep over what some inbred, banjo toting hillbilly has to say.

Note: EladEflow-that rant was not directed at you. You don't strike me as an over-judgemental shitbag.

Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Does somebody need a hug?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
IBMM

(In before MarkM)

View Quote

Considering that I've got a couple grand each invested in some of my higher end weapons wanting to keep them looking halfway decent isn't an unreasonable desire.

Over the years I have bought and sold many ARs, Benelli shotguns, Sig an HK handguns and can testify firsthand that a gun that looks beat to shit doesn't command the same price that a pristine copy does.

If someone felt it necessary to bash me for wanting to protect my investment they can either whip out their checkbook and buy my weapons when I sell them, or they can keep their goddamned mouths shut if they don't have anything constructive to add.

If some over-zealous keyboard kommando doesn't like it, screw em. I'm not going to lose any sleep over what some inbred, banjo toting hillbilly has to say.

Note: EladEflow-that rant was not directed at you. You don't strike me as an over-judgemental shitbag.

View Quote

I understand both stances on this issue and I've danced back and forth on where I stand . I've came to the conclusion that I'm not going to freak if I get a few knicks here and there but I am not going to go out of my way to abuse my rifle just so it looks worn.

I'm not really sure on the scratching issue, I've heard mixed opinions on the pens from Brownells, seems like a Sharpie in different packaging to me.

Good luck with that.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does somebody need a hug?
View Quote

Why, are you looking for a date?

Notack, thanks for the heads up on the touch up pen. I needed a few small parts from Bushy anyway so I added that to the list and just placed the order. One nice thing about Bushy is that since they are so close UPS ground shipping only takes one day to get here. They even carry large pin Colt FCG parts, and have the best prices for them anywhere. My last two sets of FCG parts from them were genuine Colt and were a hell of a deal.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
IBMM

(In before MarkM)

View Quote

View Quote

I understand both stances on this issue and I've danced back and forth on where I stand . I've came to the conclusion that I'm not going to freak if I get a few knicks here and there but I am not going to go out of my way to abuse my rifle just so it looks worn.

I'm not really sure on the scratching issue, I've heard mixed opinions on the pens from Brownells, seems like a Sharpie in different packaging to me.

Good luck with that.
View Quote

Thanks for your reply, and please understand that my angst wasn't directed toward you in any way.

I work in an environment where [b]nobody[/b] has anything constructive to say and it drives me absolutely mental.

My chosen career isn't rocket science (I'm a mortgage loan officer) but some people love to make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:49:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Camo the beast...
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I work in an environment where [b]nobody[/b] has anything constructive to say and it drives me absolutely mental.
View Quote

New Hampshire?
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I find that a high quality corrosion resistant automotive paint in flat black such as SEM works well on aluminium parts like your upper or lower, it resists heat and solvents well too and should blend with the original finish

Link Posted: 10/15/2003 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

New Hampshire?
View Quote

I live in NH but work in Saugus, MA.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I have used a permanent marker with pretty good results on aluminum.  A Sharpie might work good though.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#13]
The best kept secret for touching up scratches on your AR is [url=www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1117]Aluma-Hyde II[/url], & a small, stiff paint brush!

Properly degrease the offending scratch, shake the hell out of the Aluma-Hyde II can, heat the can under hot running water, shake again, and spray a very little bit of it into a paper cup. Carefully & lightly apply the Aluma-Hyde to scratch with brush, and then wait for a week to let it cure properly.

What you get is a touch up that is virtually identical in color (matte balck) & sheen to all black AR15s' & the Aluma-Hyde II is pretty damn resistant to bore cleaner, WD-40, CLP, and normal wear & handling ([b]much more[/b] so than touch-up pens & "Aluma Black")!!!

Give it a try. I did, and I will never go back to other methods of scratch touch up!  
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I use a sharpie...  Let it dry slightly and then rub.  Works good for me...

_Good Luck
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top