BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2003 6:29:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:23:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought one of them before it was bought by Bushmaster.  Was a unique little rifle (lubricated with wd-40).  It was very picky on the ammo I fed it.  Overall, was fun and extremely handy toting around the woods.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:58:22 AM EDT
[#2]
[url]http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=171575&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 8:25:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 8:33:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Working on it my man, working on it! Feel free to send some ammo my way, and I'll be glad to dump some mags through it by gratuitous trigger manipulation. [shock][:D]
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 8:50:44 AM EDT
[#5]
My bud has both the type 97 pistol and rifle and they both functioned flawlessly when I tried them out.

They're both pre-Bushmaster and he was feeding them various M193 rds.

I'm seriously considering getting the 97S myself.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#6]
A guy had one at the range the other week...I was very impressed with the muzzle device attachment method. Made changing devices quick and easy, yet secure. Cutting edge.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#7]
They have them at the Reliant Center show this weekend. The 97 pistol is $679. The 21 is $659.

They feel very light. I almost bought a 97 pistol. Wanted to do a bit more research first. The spring loaded muzzle break release mechanism was pretty slick. I guess they will offer a flash supressor for it when the AWB sunsets next year (if nothing replaces it.

Very light and I'd like to test shoot one to see how the pistol handles the .223 recoil.

Does anyone know what the warranty period is on these?
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't trust them enough to buy one. Not yet, anyway.

The penguin is right - Bushmaster wouldn't put them out if they didn't have 100% confidence in the things. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing how Hawkeye's is running at 4-K.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:56:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Buddy got one a couple years ago when they first came out (pre bushy).  Jamming nightmare.  When it wasnt' jammed it did a nice involuntary felony double tap with one trigger pull.  I'm SURE they've reengineered it since then.  Maybe he had a lemon.  

Bushmaster would not sell crap, I trust the quality of their name.  But, my mind would always fear the design until more folks had some good luck with them.  For all I know maybe they already have.  They are amazingly light if nothing else and still don't kick.  (come on its a 223!).  Give it a shot and let us know.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#11]
One year warranty isn't very impressive. At least not by my standards. I'd like to see a little more strength designed to the recievers, especially at the pinned locations. It would be interesting to see if there were any ways to integrate metal into the carbon fiber at those (and possibly other) locations. Although I haven't taken one apart to see everything in it yet.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:06:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one of the early models and it has been totally reliable.....feeds everything I have tried and as a bonus....it has been very accurate (will hold 1/2 to 3/4 depending.
Glad I bought it, and I still own it and would not sell it.

Perfect all weather rifle....great to carry or use with ATV travels.

makes a great coyote gun.

Paul
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:50:22 AM EDT
[#13]
There is some metal in the lower receiver. I know that the threads for the buffer tube are alloy. Not sure if there is any anywhere else.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 5:23:59 AM EDT
[#14]
are we talking pistol or rifle here ??????

i have a pre-Bushy pistol it has over 1,000 rnds thru it mostly WCC 02 & LC 01/02 & my reloads, not one malfunction as yet (oooops !! i forgot, i did have trouble, a lot of trouble using S&B ammo that stuff is worse than Wolf !!!!!) & still NOT cleaned !!
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 5:30:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#17]
The rifle looks good - Bushmaster's improvements ALMOST have me wanting one.

The only thing I don't care for is the stock - its got a small footprint (like the older CAR stocks).  They need to make a new mold to give the stock the same footprint as the newere Waffle style telestocks (or at least the A2 stock).  {and keep the stock at A1 length while your at it).
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The rifle looks good - Bushmaster's improvements ALMOST have me wanting one.

The only thing I don't care for is the stock - its got a small footprint (like the older CAR stocks).  They need to make a new mold to give the stock the same footprint as the newere Waffle style telestocks (or at least the A2 stock).  {and keep the stock at A1 length while your at it).
View Quote

I told them the exact same thing at Gunstock.  I like to have the stock sit high on my shoulder, and with the included stock, it really digs in.

When other stocks are available, I'll think about it more seriously.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Something I have looked at, and it appears it is "possible", is changing the stock. A standard buffer tube looks as though it will go on fine. The only thing that needs to be done it to drill a small hole at the front of the threads in which to put the buffer rention pin. Seems simple enough. By changing out the buffer tube/stock assembly, one could also change to a standard bolt carrier. This is all in theory mind you, but from what I had looked at on my wife's 97S, I dont see any reason why it couldnt be done.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:40:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Ok I'm ready to take the plunge on one the pistol how can I tell the differance on the new improved BUSHMASTER over the old ones ?I have seen the old models [new in the box] for sale that they said were warrented by BUSHMASTER .I dont want one that can be fixed I want one that works the first time .
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:10:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I was pretty interested in them - particularly the model Wave pictured until I saw the suggested retail price - $916 for an AR with no sights (the low end Type 21), $1,192 for the Type 97S Wave posted a pic of.

Hopefully realistic market prices will be lower.

Agree with stock criticisms.

It would be interesting to see a modular weapon system concept based around this gun. With a 4.3lb base weight, you could actually add several accessories and still have a lightweight easy handling 16" carbine that had the technological benefits of optics, light, etc. but still weighed less than the original plane jane 14.5" M4.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#22]
You should also refer to the following reviews:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=28&t=141379[/url]

[url]www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=171204[/url]

Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I have both Professional Ordnance rifle and pistol. Sent rifle back once, works fine now. No problems with pistol. Maybe when ban goes away I can put a little longer barrel on the pistol for more accuracy. They did make a threaded adapter that accepts preban flash hiders that quick mounts to the end of the barrel also. You'll have to shoot the pistol just once to realize how important ear protection is. I'm keeping both of mine.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:39:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top