Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/12/2003 6:11:01 AM EDT
How many rounds do you shoot before you clean the barrel of your AR.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:40:09 AM EDT
[#1]
It doesn't matter how many I put thru it.  After every session I clean it, whether 20 rds, or 500 rds.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a non chrome and I used the shoot one/clean method for the first ten rounds. After that I used the shoot two/clean for ten rounds, then it was shoot five/clean for ten rounds. Now I am able to shoot around 400-500 before I can see fouling looking through the bore. Some wont believe me but after 300 rounds of winchester all I get is a slight gray on the patch. If you have a chrome barrel I would wager that you might even get to go longer. Then again it will also depend on the rifle and if you consider it a Tool or a investment.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 7:46:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I too have a chromed barrel.  But, I rarely clean my barrel.  It seems to have worked this way for me the last few years.

That being said:  I do clean the chamber, bolt, bolt carrier, lugs, etc.  pretty often.  I have on occasion let it go quite a few rounds with out cleaning.  No, not as a torture test.  I was just being lazy, I think.  More interested in the shooting part, rather than the cleaning part.

Personally, I think that as long as you keep them wet, but not dripping, they will run when dirty.  I wouldn't get too crazy with this though.

I go easily 500 rounds before cleaning, up to maybe 800 rounds.  Keeping it wet, though!!

YMMV

Monty
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 10:03:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I too have a chromed barrel.  But, I rarely clean my barrel.  It seems to have worked this way for me the last few years.

That being said:  I do clean the chamber, bolt, bolt carrier, lugs, etc.  pretty often.  I have on occasion let it go quite a few rounds with out cleaning.  No, not as a torture test.  I was just being lazy, I think.  More interested in the shooting part, rather than the cleaning part.

Personally, I think that as long as you keep them wet, but not dripping, they will run when dirty.  I wouldn't get too crazy with this though.

I go easily 500 rounds before cleaning, up to maybe 800 rounds.  Keeping it wet, though!!

YMMV

Monty
View Quote

If it's well constructed, you don't even need to keep it "wet". Just slightly damp around the compression rings on the bolt and on the bolt locking lugs will do just fine.  Some of the aftermarket brands will need a bit more than that at first, because their makers don't micro polish the bolt/carrier parts and some sharp edges have to be worn off before you can cut back the lube. Given the ARs design of putting gas back into the action, the less lube back there, to be turned into baked on gunk by the hot gas, you can get away with, the better[:D]
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 11:14:34 AM EDT
[#5]
"Wet" is simply a term for keeping a gun lubed, in some form or fashion.  It is a GENERAL TERM.

Nothing specific is implied, or should be construed.....
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a RRA SS barrel and I clean it after every range session, no matter how many rounds go thru it. It usually wont see any more than 100-150 rds thru it per session.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 12:37:12 PM EDT
[#7]
[disinformantion]WTF? I thought the AR was a "self-cleaning rifle"! That's why they don't come with cleaning kits in the buttstock. [/disinformation]

I clean it after each trip to the range, because of my habits.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#8]
i've shot around 700rds in the last couple months..i think i cleaned it somewhere in there.
right now it's dirty.  bolt carrier, etc gets cleaned though.  my barrel is chrome lined so i don't worry about it.  still accurate, no failures of any kind..sometimes i use clp, sometimes i don't.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I only clean it when its not going to be used for a while. Sometimes I'll run a steel brush and a dry patch through the barrel if it looks dirty, just to get out the dirt and particles. But the inside of the barrel stays dry unless it's going in the safe for an extended period.
I often shoot several times per week and it would drive me nuts to clean the darn thing every time.

Link Posted: 10/12/2003 2:33:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I clean mine after shooting it, 1 round or 2000 rounds it doesn't matter...it gets a good cleaning at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 3:11:07 PM EDT
[#11]
All of my barrels have chrome bores, but they still get cleaned after each and every trip to the range.  It is so easy with a bore snake, WHY NOT?  
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#12]
If you take care of your equipment, it will be there for you when you need it.  Cleaning your rifle after shooting and before putting it up is part of a discipline you must follow to be responsible.  You give the love, you get the love.  This allows you an opportunity to look things over, take account of the weapon's status and leave it in, as good or better condition, than you found it.  Ever heard of the expression "Ridden hard and put away wet"?  Well it applies to old ugly, used up women and neglected rifles that were taken for granted.  Think about it young fella.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#13]
After every session
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I shoot several times a week..... just run outside and go for it so I don't clean after each trip.  Some weeks I shoot everyday and most times at least 120 rounds as minimum.

I detail it at about 12-16 30 round mags worth depending on the rifle.  I do always pull the bolt and wipe it down including the carrier after each session.  Sometimes swabbing out the upper as well.

bbl. wise I rarely worry, especially the chrome lined.  Even then I have to go through at least 10 mags before I think about a brush.  CLP soaked patches alone do great things with a chrome bore.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sometimes I'll run a steel brush and a dry patch through the barrel if it looks dirty, just to get out the dirt and particles.
View Quote

This is just my humble opinion but if it were my rifle there is no way in hell I would use a steel brush or any metal bristled brush for that matter.  A nylon brush is all you should ever need with a chrome barrel (assuming you have a chrome barrel).
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#16]
after every trip to the range
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 10:02:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is just my humble opinion but if it were my rifle there is no way in hell I would use a steel brush or any metal bristled brush for that matter.  A nylon brush is all you should ever need with a chrome barrel (assuming you have a chrome barrel).
View Quote

Steel brush? Yeah, that's a tad abrasive but bronze or brass are WAAAAY softer than your barrel and shouldn't harm a thing if you clean with a decent rod.

Come to think of it, isn't copper/lead also metal and don't we send those down our barrels rather quickly?

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 11:28:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Any time it gets shot it gets clean. I suppose in a SHTF situation I could go for many thousands of rnds between cleaning if I had to.
Only if I had no other choice.

JIM
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 7:42:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Rarely.  I clean the bore (chrome) every 1,000 rounds at the most.  Like others, I do wipe down the bolt, carrier and upper more often and apply a very light coat of CLP.

I've have 100% function from my BM shorty carbine.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Steel brush? Yeah, that's a tad abrasive but bronze or brass are WAAAAY softer than your barrel and shouldn't harm a thing if you clean with a decent rod.

Come to think of it, isn't copper/lead also metal and don't we send those down our barrels rather quickly?

Just a thought.
View Quote

You are probably right but I feel more comfortable with a nylon brush.  I believe copper is also a lot softer than brass.  Like I said just my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:07:38 AM EDT
[#21]
i run a snake w/ some clp on it after every trip to the range, no matter how many rounds.
i also give the bolt, and chamber a good rub each session. but i dont try to get it squeaky.

i only "really" clean it, i mean seperate lower and upper and use a brass brush and give it the white glove bit maybe once every 3 or 4 trips to the range.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 10:16:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It doesn't matter how many I put thru it.  After every session I clean it, whether 20 rds, or 500 rds.
View Quote
Dosn't matter to me after every range session I will clean mine as soon as possilble.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 11:27:10 PM EDT
[#23]
you MUST clean it everytime you shoot it regardless of how many rounds you put through it. it will only work as good as you take care of it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 12:49:50 AM EDT
[#24]
after everytime I shoot my ARs.

My AKs-verry rarely do I clean 'em at all.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top