Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/11/2003 10:39:19 AM EDT
I'm thinkink of cutting off the threads of my post ban 20" Colt H-bar but don't know if it will chip the chrome lining of the barrel. has anyone done this without having any problems.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I've heard you can, but the machinist has to be careful and use a stone on the end of the barrel after its cut. Something like that.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I have done it. I didn't have any problems with the chrome flaking off at the cut but I didn't just hack it off with a hacksaw. I cut mine with coolant fed carbide saw about a 1/4 inch long and then put the barrel in the lathe and trimmed it down to length. I did this with a Standard carbide LH turning tool and I cut form the bore to the outside. Not even a small flake when I inspected with a 30x loupe.

I am sure you could cut it with a hacksaw a little long and recrown with crown cutter in a drill and be just fine. Just take it slow and use lots of cutting oil.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 11:42:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Fluxion, don't you have a good set of bolt-cutters? [:D]

[i]j/k - I appreciate a nice even crown too.[/i]
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Hard chrome does not flake.  Decorative chrome flakes.  Chrome barrels are cut and rethreaded all the time.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hard chrome does not flake.  Decorative chrome flakes.  Chrome barrels are cut and rethreaded all the time.
View Quote

Roger on that[:D]. I've done SKSs and ARs w/no problems whatsoever.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top